Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HarryVoyager

Arizona: 14/45 Optimal penetration range?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Been reviewing my recent performance in the Arizona, and I believe I've been playing to defensively. I've also been noticing that I'm not reliably penetrating cruisers that I've been able to pen in the New Mexico. That's leading me to believe I'm also setting up outside the optimal penetration range for the guns of the ship. I'm thinking maybe I need to start looking for <10km engagements to get best fires for effect, particularly on T8 cruisers.

What range is generally the upper bounds of where the 14/45 Mk9 will reliably penetrate moderately angled cruisers and poorly angled BBs? 

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,881 posts
5,482 battles

ZPll6w4.jpg

It's not so much the range, it's just the guns themselves.  Regardless of range they just seem to have issues with penetrating armor if the enemy gives you an angled target to shoot at, unless of course your guns just overmatch.  Arizona, when it was released, was one of the first BB's I advocated shooting HE in if your target wasn't giving you broadside.  Now with the British BB's it's not as taboo a subject lol.  TBH I treat Arizona's guns like the Scharnhorst guns.  Obliterate broadside, set them on fire if they don't oblige you.

Edited by vonKaiser

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Ah cool. Thank you.

Where does one find those charts? I'm curious how they match up with the 14/45 on the New York/Texas, and the 14/50 on the New Mexico.

Addendum: I've been experimenting with HE against BB's that I've had trouble penning, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it against Cruisers. I'll have to look into the numbers to see which ones would be worth it...

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,881 posts
5,482 battles

That was a screenshot I took from the Armada video.  They do the ranges and penetration for some ships in those.  Wish they were a bit more transparent about that, IE, giving the data to you in the port when you hover over the AP shell for instance :(

Edited by vonKaiser

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

Though I don't have many matches in my Arizona, so grain of salt and all that, but I've been treating her like a close range brawler. The trick is closing the range, since she is not fast. But, the armor seems to stand up pretty well and, at close range <8 km you can outslug just about anything that you'll run across.

Members
2,976 posts
1,448 battles

Did they nerf AZ?  I found her guns were about the only ones that actually behaved like real naval guns.  They tear Cruisers a new one, shred ship barbettes and generally give a very punchy naval gun feeling.  Not a whole lot in the way of 12 hits for 1030 off the side of a broadside cruiser.  Typically, broadside cruisers and in some cases, even BBs, get 1 shot by my AZ.  In the Operation, my AZ legit 1 shot the T4 Japanese BB that appeared in one of the first waves. All 44,000 health in 1 salvo.

I lubbed the AZ.  If only T6 MM wasnt like wiping your [edited]with razorwire and pouring lemon juice in the wound....

Members
433 posts

I do feel it's been nerfed (but it's probably just me). I used to get citadels all the time in her, even deleted a New York with 5 citadels at once. I don't get nearly the same performance out of her anymore, but like I said it's probably me playing this too casual now.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,707 posts
3,603 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Did they nerf AZ?  I found her guns were about the only ones that actually behaved like real naval guns.  They tear Cruisers a new one, shred ship barbettes and generally give a very punchy naval gun feeling.  Not a whole lot in the way of 12 hits for 1030 off the side of a broadside cruiser.  Typically, broadside cruisers and in some cases, even BBs, get 1 shot by my AZ.  In the Operation, my AZ legit 1 shot the T4 Japanese BB that appeared in one of the first waves. All 44,000 health in 1 salvo.

I lubbed the AZ.  If only T6 MM wasnt like wiping your [edited]with razorwire and pouring lemon juice in the wound....

1 hour ago, MrSparkle said:

I do feel it's been nerfed (but it's probably just me). I used to get citadels all the time in her, even deleted a New York with 5 citadels at once. I don't get nearly the same performance out of her anymore, but like I said it's probably me playing this too casual now.

Wg doesn't Nerf premiums, nothing changed. Sometimes RNG screws with you and sometimes you play differently

Sign in to follow this