You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RadDisconnect

Range or reload module on Buffalo?

17 comments in this topic

[KWA]
Members
303 posts
4,956 battles

I'm getting close to Buffalo, but I'm wondering what the best mod for the ship is. The DPM is almost the same as Baltimore but it's split evenly between front and back turrets, so your front DPM is quite a bit less. The detection range is also worse than Baltimore by almost 1 km but you have the same range. So which is the better mod, reload or range?

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
7,401 battles

Range mod, in my opinion. The shells are not so horrible as to disallow you to hit ships with the range bonus, there are a few situations in which you will appreciate the range, especially due to the prevalence of large maps in high tier.

• Cool 1

Members
150 posts
10 battles

Do yourself a favor and forget you have rear guns. If you dont, youll be showing broadside to ships you dont want to show broadside to. You cant go wrong with either in my opinion but I did run reload on my Baltimore before the USN CA changes. It should provide the same performance for Buffalo. Once I got Des Moines I switched to using the range mod. Des Moines' stock reload is fully capable of overwhelming many ships. Especially once AR kicks in.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,643 posts
2 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Do yourself a favor and forget you have rear guns. If you dont, youll be showing broadside to ships you dont want to show broadside to. You cant go wrong with either in my opinion but I did run reload on my Baltimore before the USN CA changes. It should provide the same performance for Buffalo. Once I got Des Moines I switched to using the range mod. Des Moines' stock reload is fully capable of overwhelming many ships. Especially once AR kicks in.

Unless Firing Whilest Retreating?   Then the Rear Gun's Could be useful :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

Members
150 posts
10 battles
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Unless Firing Whilest Retreating?   Then the Rear Gun's Could be useful :cap_cool:

Touche my friend. Touche.

• Cool 1

Members
150 posts
10 battles
7 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

I'm used to the old Balti with only one turret on the stern at tier IX. 

Edited by k9kid12

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,172 posts
10,290 battles

Another vote for range mod

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
10,662 posts

1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

It's not a retreat, it's kiting . . . :cap_haloween:

Edited by RipNuN2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,643 posts
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

:cap_haloween::Smile_medal:You Win:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[INTEL]
Members
1,393 posts
10,081 battles
6 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I'm searching for a more advantageous position on the enemy's front.

Members
5,360 posts
6,097 battles

Reload. Always reload. T9 Balti had an 8.8 second reload with the module. Buffalo only has an 11.4 second reload with the module. And even at 11.4 seconds, her reload feels lacking. I can't imagine what it feels like to keep the 13 second reload on her in exchange for some more range.

Face the facts, Buffalo is going to be afforded the same opportunitis to unmask her rear guns as T9 Baltimore was. Her DPM will never match T9 Balti's, but with he reload mod you can get it close to T8 Balti's DPM. Buffalo's range feels short, especially compared to Baltimore(I could really feel the 200m difference between the two). But it is manageable. Go with the reload module and just hope that her numbers indicate to WG that she needs a slight buff to both her reload and range(which she does, if only for comfort level when playing), and that WG follows through with it.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
7,401 battles
26 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Reload. Always reload. T9 Balti had an 8.8 second reload with the module. Buffalo only has an 11.4 second reload with the module. And even at 11.4 seconds, her reload feels lacking. I can't imagine what it feels like to keep the 13 second reload on her in exchange for some more range.

Face the facts, Buffalo is going to be afforded the same opportunitis to unmask her rear guns as T9 Baltimore was. Her DPM will never match T9 Balti's, but with he reload mod you can get it close to T8 Balti's DPM. Buffalo's range feels short, especially compared to Baltimore(I could really feel the 200m difference between the two). But it is manageable. Go with the reload module and just hope that her numbers indicate to WG that she needs a slight buff to both her reload and range(which she does, if only for comfort level when playing), and that WG follows through with it.

The fact of the matter is, 15.6km is not enough for tier 10 games on the Buffalo, just like it was never enough on the Baltimore. Keep in mind, the Ibuki has less guns than the Buffalo AND worse reload, and you STILL take the range mod on Ibuki simply because 16.5km is still not enough in some situations. 15.6km isn't even enough for open water fighting, let alone fighting in cover behind islands, which is what you want to do most of the time in the USN cruisers.

As tempting as the reload mod is, 15.6km will reduce your flexibility massively. It's just too limiting.

[5BS]
Members
6,721 posts

Range: the Buffalo's got the same Great AP the Balt had but + 3 guns; and it needs that extra punching distance. Nothing worse than seeing a broadside cruiser or BB when you have AP loaded but it's out of range.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
617 posts
3,868 battles
3 hours ago, k9kid12 said:

Putting yourself in situations that allow you to use the whole broadside is how you do well in a Buffalo. Playing it like a Balti or DM just limits you to half your firepower with a long reload.

At OP go with the range mod.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,215 posts
14,118 battles

Range....

Plain and simple, it gives you flexibility on the maps.

BTW, last night I got a Citadel on a T10 BB at max range....

All that extra DPM is wasted if targets sit out of you range.

Most engagements happen at 12 to 18 km for the first half if game.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,844 posts
5,190 battles

I have the Reload and like it.  But I run into many occasions where Range would be beneficial.  It'll mainly come down to how YOU like to play I think.  Personally I'm a stealth cruiser, like to sneak around, pop up on the map, fire a few times, then go dark and reposition.  Keeping rear turrets off target until I need to fire, swinging out while the enemy is on reload, firing and then going back to a skinny angle so being able to get all turrets off quicker really does help.  Add in the wonderful American 203mm AP shells.  The turret angles aren't cumbersome and work pretty well when being aggressive or when kiting away.  But I also tend to stay on the move instead of bow on stationary and in reverse like I've been seeing some play as of late (again personal playstyle preference)