You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

Baltimore is trash bote

40 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
13,972 battles

This cruiser really needs a heal or AP that can go through more than a wet paper bag. Plus the citadel must be protected by military grade play-doh.

I have tried every play style I can think of and nothing works-Island hugging, rushing, camping caps to radar DD's. Tried them all.

Every hit is a Citadel as well. I'm really thinking hard about selling it but wanted to keep it since I had already ground up to tier 9 before the CL split.

I'm glad I don't have to grind this abomination again.

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,501 posts
6,150 battles

Baltimore and many tier VIII cruisers sit in that spot of awkwardness at tier 8 they'll feel the bottom-tier-blues very often. Coming from a tier 7 cruiser, where you're normally top due to the MM, it's a rough ride. Most VIII cruisers are like that.

Edited by Cruiser_StLouis

Members
150 posts
10 battles

lol no it isnt and for the record, that USN AP is amazing.

Edited by k9kid12
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,659 posts
4,602 battles

Baltimore?  Trash bote?  Her AP hits hard.  What are you shooting, mountains?

Try her in Ops, and smile.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,459 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Baltimore and many tier VIII cruisers sit in that spot of awkwardness where at tier 7 they were mostly top tier, and at tier 8 they'll feel the bottom-tier-blues very often.

Wasn't Baltimore a tier 9 CA that got DOWNGRADED to tier 8?

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,501 posts
6,150 battles
12 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Wasn't Baltimore a tier 9 CA that got DOWNGRADED to tier 8?

Bad wording on my part. I meant to say that at tier 7, cruisers are usually top tier (along with everything else at 7) because of the MM. So once you get to the Baltimore, at 8, things get brutal since you'll frequently find yourself either mid or bottom tier, and without a heal she definitely feels pretty weak.

Fixed my wording in the original response.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,556 posts
33,707 battles

Baltimore? One of the best heavy cruisers in game.

Amazing guns. Sped and agility is decent. A keeper for me.

I even like it better than Des Moines for my game.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,846 posts
11,282 battles

X9rfp7u.jpg

IrJYTcE.jpg

jtbW4Ip.jpg

Sadly it did not take the shot showing the other stats. But uh - yeah, considering I tank BB's rounds that bounce and the damage this thing does - yeah, no, this ship is amazing. And I'm not even a cruiser player. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,894 posts
33,889 battles

Of all the new USN cruisers, light and heavy, I like Baltimore the best.

She’s the first heavy to get those wonderful American Piercing shells with better auto-bounce angles. Used to be only T9 and 10 got those. If the AP isn’t working for you, please set up the Training Room and experiment.  At 10 km and less the AP is really potent.

A B X turret setup with good firing arcs. I prefer this turret arrangement for any cruiser because 2/3 of your firepower is facing forward. Baltimore is part of why Seattle seems so awful in comparison. 

Fairly good maneuverability. Baltimore can wiggle enough to be fairly good at kiting. 

Very good AA in terms of actual effectiveness. You don’t even need to go for a dedicated AA build. 

Oh and really nice concealment now. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
7 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

This cruiser really needs a heal or AP that can go through more than a wet paper bag. Plus the citadel must be protected by military grade play-doh.

I have tried every play style I can think of and nothing works-Island hugging, rushing, camping caps to radar DD's. Tried them all.

Every hit is a Citadel as well. I'm really thinking hard about selling it but wanted to keep it since I had already ground up to tier 9 before the CL split.

What are you talking about?  Baltimore is awesome!  One of the few cruisers, especially at Tier 8, I enjoy playing.

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
13,972 battles

Baltimore does great in operations which is probably why there is a good opinion of it but I stand by my post.

Example-I just played a random match where I had the broadside of a Bismarck. It was one of the last few ships on the red team and we were roflstomping them.

I fired AP at the usual spot at the bottom of the deck and every round hits from 7k away-3500dmg. I switch to HE-5500dmg.

This is common for me in this ship. I don't think I've broke 60k dmg in a match with it yet or even caused a critical hit on anything. Of course could be that RNG is just showing me some love with this bote...one will never know.

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,849 battles
7 hours ago, k9kid12 said:

lol no it isnt and for the record, that USN AP is amazing.

^This. Even at range you can pump out 6-8k volleys on targets (2-4k on angled ones sometimes). Gravity is a wonderful thing when your 203mm shells weight 152kg.

8 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

1: You can bow tank 380mm guns (which are common at tier 8). 
2: Do not rush. You will evaporate. Try divisioning up with people in a DD, it may help. 
3: All cruisers suffer from "every hit is a citadel" unless they're close enough to force an overpen (Damned RN CLs). 

As a kiting ship, I have found relative success in Baltimore. Last night I had a match where I was down to about 6K health and fleeing from a Massachusetts, Lyon, and Charles Martel who had completed a marvelous flank. I farmed about 40K damage by running at full speed and making use of concealment till they lost interest. 
While that is not an ideal way to play the Baltimore, it worked for me. 

But seriously, try divving up with some friends or clan-mates (if any of them will go into randoms). 

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles

I ground through Tier 8 with New Orleans. Overall population had 48.83% WR in that thing in NA server of 2 million matches. I won 50.4% of 125 matches despite not knowing wth island-humping was or how it worked i.e. I did that by rabid hyper-aggro/parthian shot dancing, which basically meant that I probably was doing something else vaguely right given how bad my actual tactics were.

Current Tier 8 Baltimore is noticeably superior to old Tier 8 NO in raw stats. Performance of 51.72% in 50K matches can be shrugged off as "new ship, pro players", but the raw stats such as the ROF and thus the DPM just don't lie. NO reloaded once per 12 seconds fully upgraded, Baltimore gets 10 seconds. That's a huge boost.

If you think Baltimore is trash, Buffalo will make you quit the line with basically the same DPM a tier higher.

• Funny 1

[BOTES]
Members
2,130 posts
7,608 battles

T8 Baltimore has SHS and almost 8k more HP than T8 Nola. I miss being able to nearly stealth radar with T8 Nola, but T8 Baltimore is definitely the best result from the tree shift. T9 Baltimore was good and now it's even better.

Edited by awildseaking

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,561 battles
1 hour ago, Guardian54 said:

I ground through Tier 8 with New Orleans. Overall population had 48.83% WR in that thing in NA server of 2 million matches. I won 50.4% of 125 matches despite not knowing wth island-humping was or how it worked i.e. I did that by rabid hyper-aggro/parthian shot dancing, which basically meant that I probably was doing something else vaguely right given how bad my actual tactics were.

Current Tier 8 Baltimore is noticeably superior to old Tier 8 NO in raw stats. Performance of 51.72% in 50K matches can be shrugged off as "new ship, pro players", but the raw stats such as the ROF and thus the DPM just don't lie. NO reloaded once per 12 seconds fully upgraded, Baltimore gets 10 seconds. That's a huge boost.

If you think Baltimore is trash, Buffalo will make you quit the line with basically the same DPM a tier higher.

Basically less you mean DPM. The paper DPM versus practical DPM are two very different things. Buffalo feels like a complete dowgrade but gets a heal.

• Cool 1

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
833 posts
16,158 battles

Sounds more like trash player than trash boat....

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
342 posts
11,300 battles
10 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

I suggest you take her into Cherry Blossom, she DOMINATES ... the Baltimore has a new lease on life thanks to this scenario.

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
13,972 battles
24 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Sounds more like trash player than trash boat....

Really? Did your parents say it's ok for you to post on here?

I'm at 55% with 5808 random battles played. I'm not looking up your stats because frankly I don't care.

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Basically less you mean DPM. The paper DPM versus practical DPM are two very different things. Buffalo feels like a complete dowgrade but gets a heal.

Given I have started threads howling about how Buffalo isn't an upgrade from Tier 8 Baltimore?

I know it's less unless you totally shell out for modifications, after which it is barely equal in real play, though superior on paper.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,561 battles
24 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Given I have started threads howling about how Buffalo isn't an upgrade from Tier 8 Baltimore?

I know it's less unless you totally shell out for modifications, after which it is barely equal in real play, though superior on paper.

I too have started threads to Buff the Buffalo. That ship is trash unless they give it the same RoF as the rest of the tier 9 8 inch cruisers.

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I too have started threads to Buff the Buffalo. That ship is trash unless they give it the same RoF as the rest of the tier 9 8 inch cruisers.

NO.

F*** NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*looks at Ibuki with 4 RPM baseline, i.e. 15 second reload*

• Cool 1