You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

NY vs. NY brawl--need explanations

14 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
515 posts
8,621 battles

Same ships, both shoot AP, no external help. Yet one goes down while another one takes almost no damage. Why? Was it because I was always slightly changing my course? Why my opponent was not that effective? I watched it again and it still surprises me why results are so different. Was I just lucky? What I was doing right to win this?

• Meh 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Captain Skills, the actual Player Skill the Modules used,All the dirrerent player choices can make Two ships totally Different.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,773 battles

RNG, CO Skills, Upgrades, and the skill of the player

Edited by Vangm94

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

Your opponent couldn't aim correctly - all his shells went high and forward. The dispersion patterns show it was an aiming error, not RNG. 

Also, you should be more careful with using your Y and Q turrets - you would have been punished if he aimed. In several cases you showed way too much broadside when he had shells loaded. 

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
5 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Same ships, both shoot AP, no external help. Yet one goes down while another one takes almost no damage. Why? Was it because I was always slightly changing my course? Why my opponent was not that effective? I watched it again and it still surprises me why results are so different. Was I just lucky? What I was doing right to win this?

You started off showing a lot of broadside and the red was bow on. While you were showing some broadside, he didn't take advantage of it to get some big hits. You then started turning in to angle more. This tends to bounce more shells. While you were angling in, the red turned more broadside meaning you could get bigger hits while your angling made it harder for him to get big hits.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,929 posts
13,257 battles

Used a Hood at 75% health to kill two Colorados at almost full health, one after the other.  I had 25% health when done.  Simply put the Hood was able to jink and get opportunities to fire all guns and the COs each decided going full broadside was a good tactic.  My captain at the time was probably about 14 points.

[-AGW-]
Members
975 posts
12,832 battles

Yeah, he was shooting poorly and you had better angling later. 

Members
3,251 posts
4,322 battles
38 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Your opponent couldn't aim correctly - all his shells went high and forward. The dispersion patterns show it was an aiming error, not RNG. 

Also, you should be more careful with using your Y and Q turrets - you would have been punished if he aimed. In several cases you showed way too much broadside when he had shells loaded. 

This. 

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,424 battles

When he angled in, you could have overmatched his bow and put in a citadel through the nose as you guys got closer. Under Turrets 1 and 2 there's an inherent weakness in the armor thats prety easy to nail at close range. 

[RG-1]
Supertester
550 posts
6,532 battles

Your camo helped too. And, he may not have had a DCP left to use, while you did.

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,852 battles

@dimzzy you maneuvered better and aimed well. The opponent appeared to hold straight course and his aim was way off.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

Sailing at a angle will throw off allot of new players because it is hard to determine where to lead without experience and/or mods that show relative ship angles. Looks like the other NY was struggling to get a good lead on you.

That said he was giving some good straight lines to target by him going broadside and going bow on since all T5 BBs can be overmatched by other BB guns. This played to your favor since the NY had the best penatrating guns for her tier (although her sigma could use a solid boost)