You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

A tip for Worcester captains...

37 comments in this topic

Members
828 posts
6,368 battles

For those of you Worcester captains that have some sort of AA build which give you 8.5km AA range, keep your AA off playing against enemy CVs.

You can turn it on after their planes cross the 7.2km range, immediately pop defensive AA and shred all his planes with no warning (your air detection range is 7.2 km). When enemy planes detect you, they will be within your 500 dps mid range AA aura, combined with defensive AA, the enemy cv will have no time to react, and he will lose most of its planes in less than 10 sec.

Yesterday I tried this tactic and killed a midway's 12 Tbs before he even realized.

Worcester is currently the only ship able to pull this trick off in the game. Other AA cruisers don't have this lethal combination of stealth, super long range AA and defensive AA consumable.

#skycancer cured.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,905 posts
23,747 battles

Great suggestion....thanks.

I believe the Kidd has the same capability and really does surprise many CV captains.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
2 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

Worcester is currently the only ship able to pull this trick off in the game.

With DFAA? No, the Kidd can do the same thing. But the Minotaur can do the same trick, with 8.5km AA range + 7.2 km min air detection. And combined with smoke you are also impossible to target directly makes you very spiky. Also, the Mino has better non-DFAA Boosted AA than the Worcester in the sense a greater proportion (really, nearlly ALL of her AA) is mid Ranged AA.

Edited by _RC1138

Members
828 posts
6,368 battles
9 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

With DFAA? No. But the Minotaur can do the same trick, with 8.5km AA range + 7.2 km min air detection. And combined with smoke you are also impossible to target directly makes you very spiky. Also, the Mino has better non-DFAA Boosted AA than the Worcester in the sense a greater proportion (really, nearlly ALL of her AA) is mid Ranged AA.

Defensive AA consumable makes a difference though. That sudden ambush ability is sth mino cannot product Enemy CV still has time to retreat with many of its planes intact. Even smoke is a sign of warning

Edited by _Dracarys

Members
828 posts
6,368 battles
2 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Great suggestion....thanks.

I believe the Kidd has the same capability and really does surprise many CV captains.

Try it out it's fun! I doubt a tier 8 DD can give midway and hakuryu planes that much pain. Even with DAA

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
2 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

Defensive AA consumable makes a difference though.

At T10 it really doesn't: most CV Captains know when a High Class AA ship spawns to steer VERY wide around it and thus catching them off guard is nigh impossible. Even with the greater AA range to spotting range, if you were spotted in the GENERAL area, most CV Captains will just avoid that area and send their planes elsewhere. That's why the Mino edges out, in a more practical than raw DPS potential, sense: it is stealth and downplayed enough, plus has smoke to conceal, that you are FAR more likely to have a CV captain accidentally get their planes over you.

• Cool 2

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
15 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

For those of you Worcester captains that have some sort of AA build which give you 8.5km AA range, keep your AA off playing against enemy CVs.

You can turn it on after their planes cross the 7.2km range, immediately pop defensive AA and shred all his planes with no warning (your air detection range is 7.2 km). When enemy planes detect you, they will be within your 500 dps mid range AA aura, combined with defensive AA, the enemy cv will have no time to react, and he will lose most of its planes in less than 10 sec.

Yesterday I tried this tactic and killed a midway's 12 Tbs before he even realized.

Worcester is currently the only ship able to pull this trick off in the game. Other AA cruisers don't have this lethal combination of stealth, super long range AA and defensive AA consumable.

#skycancer cured.

So you're the guy that's been pissing off the CV players.

• Funny 2

[WOLFA]
Members
779 posts
6,025 battles
36 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

I doubt a tier 8 DD can give midway and hakuryu planes that much pain. Even with DAA

I've done this in my Kidd and the Midway captain was so PO's he ranted in chat for 10 minutes.

But in a DD you keep your AA off most of the time anyways.

Edited by CorradoG60

[LUCK]
Members
1,798 posts
28,433 battles
51 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

#skycancer cured.

That's just dirty.

I like it.

[UEFN]
Members
1,282 posts
21,636 battles

Do we see enough CV to invest in AA build for the Worcester?

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

Honestly, i think Worcester is going to get a few nerfs in teh future.  She jsut seems a hair too good at everything and not really bad at anything. 

Feel free to correct me if im wrong, as ive not played her, only against her.

Members
38 posts
4,555 battles
34 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Honestly, i think Worcester is going to get a few nerfs in teh future.  She jsut seems a hair too good at everything and not really bad at anything. 

I doubt it, most of the games I have been up-tiered and have been facing T10 battleships......it hasn't been as fun. 

[-BSK-]
Members
458 posts
17,534 battles

do not underestimate a fully AA spec'd Neptune either. I murder sqaudrons

Members
828 posts
6,368 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

all you need to get is AFT and that module that further increases AA range. not huge investment...you dont need BFT or defensive aa expert.

Members
828 posts
6,368 battles
53 minutes ago, Hatework said:

worcester is a ship that has very high skill ceiling. most noobs will hate it. I used to suck at the DM, until i played the most recent rank season and learned positioning and patience. Worcester is not an idiot proof damage machine like the Conqueror,  i dont think it needs a nerf.

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,614 posts
8,602 battles
19 minutes ago, alphainfinity said:

I doubt it, most of the games I have been up-tiered and have been facing T10 battleships......it hasn't been as fun. 

That just makes it damage farm time lol

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,282 battles
2 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

#skycancer cured.

Atlanta can as well, and theres a DD too. But I wont tell because its a secret.

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles
54 minutes ago, alphainfinity said:

Did you quote the worng person?  You must really have angered the Gods if youre getting uptiered in Worcester lol

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,960 posts
12,445 battles
3 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

#skycancer cured.

Mino can do this

Members
595 posts
6,440 battles
2 hours ago, Hatework said:

It suffers from insta-deletion syndrome if any BB in it's MM tier gets a good shot in on it.  It's AP is pretty meh unless you get the right target facing the right way...from the right distance.  But, when you do get those qualifiers in line?  It's a monster.  And, that summarizes the Worcester almost perfectly.  It is the ultimate glass cannon.  It is situationally OP.  And, for some reason, folks aren't treating it like the Mino when it dropped.  I'm not getting focused fired or picked on like I should.  

For example, I had a heavy T10 Ocean map a couple of days ago.  We had one DD who didn't smoke anyone but himself.  I did not hide in the corner.  Fired off 1000 rds.  I spent the whole match making speed runs into enemy range and then turning out and angling when I felt the BB's were about to pounce...not that it should matter much.  I fully anticipated getting deleted any second for the duration of the match.  I lived...only used repair party twice.  That shouldn't have happened.  The Worcester really has no ability to tank any amount of accurate incoming fire.  If I'm spotted out in the open and more than one ship is focusing me, I'm pretty much at the mercy of their ability.  Folks are going to figure it out pretty soon.  With no torps and no armor, the best way to deal with the Worcester is a straight on bum rush.  I'm still seeing folks try to kite me to death...which pretty plays to my every strength.  The longer I live, the worse it is for every red player.

As for the AA, one of the nastiest tricks is to hop in someone's smoke.  You wait until the planes are inside 7.2..the closer the better...and try to catch as many squadrons inside your AA aura before turning it on and punching DFAA.  I've done that a couple times already.  On a separate occasion, I was sitting in a Mino's smoke and we both had the same idea.  We both waited until the Midway's massive strike was totally inside our AA range and then unleashed the fury.  I suspect the Midway thought it was a DD.  He was wrong.  Not one plane made it home.  We never saw him venture in our area for the rest of the match.  Good times...  

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
25,250 posts
22,261 battles
3 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Why not?

What are you going to invest in with Worcester?  A BB Fire Prevention / Survival Build?  Get SE?  Maybe put TAE & TA into the build and turn Worcester into a torpedo boat?

Here's the simple fact.  Worcester can implement Stealth, AA, and IFHE into the same build.

Members
595 posts
6,440 battles
54 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Finger getting sore holding down the LMB when using Worcester in Randoms :Smile_hiding:

ROFL.  My wife asked me last night what new game I was playing where I was constantly clicking my mouse.  For some reason, I'll get the guns off sync and start sequence firing because I don't want to wait for the full reload.  AR kicks in and it's a vicious cycle of constant clicks and shells leaving the ship every second.  I'll admit I might be doing it subconsciously, the rainbow of shells is magnificent.

Edited by Uber_Ghost
  • Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles
7 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

ROFL.  My wife asked me last night what new game I was playing where I was constantly clicking my mouse.  For some reason, I'll get the guns off sync and start sequence firing because I don't want to wait for the full reload.  AR kicks in and it's a vicious cycle of constant clicks and shells leaving the ship every second.  I'll admit I might be doing it subconsciously, the rainbow of shells is magnificent.

Even if they're out of sink holding the button down will make them fire as soon as they reload.