landedkiller

Best ways to play tier 8 to tier 10 British BB’s?

17 comments in this topic

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,583 battles

I am grinding away right now on a fully upgraded Monarch. I have the spotter plane module on her and ifhe. I am trying to improve my game in her so that I can grind through the line with ease. I have some low damage games and some high damage games. I think my problem would be being too agressive in general. Trying to hit tier 10 by the time the wows third anniversary hits.

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
13 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I am grinding away right now on a fully upgraded Monarch. I have the spotter plane module on her and ifhe. I am trying to improve my game in her so that I can grind through the line with ease. I have some low damage games and some high damage games. I think my problem would be being too agressive in general. Trying to hit tier 10 by the time the wows third anniversary hits.

Most likely the best improvement is to be less aggressive. The other thing off the top is don’t use IFHE. How many skills does your commander have? There are some pretty good write ups on the U.K. BB’s if you search. I don’t own them, still at tier 5 or 6. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

IFHE is a waste on the BBs

I'll second that nomination.

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
38 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

36 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I'll second that nomination.

I IFHE is pointless on anything British currently.

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles
3 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I suggest to everyone that it is a must have on British Cruisers. You have to beef up those secondaries.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
Members
8,205 posts
13,768 battles
3 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I suggest to everyone that it is a must have on British Cruisers.

Belfast.

IFHE makes that ship truly OP.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Belfast.

Some how I always forget that the Belfast is British any more.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles

RN BBs prefer the mid to long range engagement.  They got respectable accuracy and range.  Just like USN BBs, their secondaries are absolute garbage.  Eventually in Tier IX-X, RN BBs devolve into low HP pool Battleships for their tier.  But at Tier IX-X they have amazing Repair Parties.  You also have excellent concealment for Tier VII-X and gets better and better.

Again, mid to long range is the name of your game.  Close enough that you can get reliable, multi-hit salvos.  Far enough that you are not eating secondaries and easy torpedo attacks.  Far enough that if you start taking heavy focus fire, you simply hold gunfire and "go dark."  If you're too close you can't disengage as easily.  This is especially true with Lion and Conqueror because of their low HP pools.  Your Repair Party will save you to an extent, but once it's on CD you're in big trouble if you are not out of that bad spot.

While their citadel locations are great, they're also coated in lots of vulnerable 32mm plate.  What this means is that just like French ones, RN BBs eat penetrations galore from Cruisers.  Whether from 203mm HE spam or IFHE 152mm guns.  Cruisers will get reliable penetration damage.  32mm plate is a commonly found armor plate for high tier BBs.  That's not the problem in itself.  The problem is the decks are 32mm plate.  So when Cruisers are aiming at you, they have a lot more forgiving leeway to hit not only your 19mm superstructure, but your vulnerable 32mm deck.  In comparison are German BBs where many have 50mm decks.  HE spam that hits their deck won't penetrate for shell damage, only hope for fires.  Their superstructures are still vulnerable at 19mm but at least their deck isn't giving easy penetration damage to Cruiser HE on top of that.

IMO, Cruisers are your biggest, common threat to RN BBs.  They can do reliable damage on you.  But other Battleships that know how to aim with massive 406mm+ guns are very dangerous as it seems very easy to hit and pen RN BBs.  The difference between Cruisers and accurate BBs is that Cruisers can keep pumping shells into you and that takes their toll very quickly, especially in a focus fire scenario.

Also, take note of 419mm turret face thickness.  It's vertical and 381mm thick and they are IMO, easy to KO.  If you like to play close range, then it becomes even easier to single out those turrets to KO.  Even more reasons not to get into brawling ranged fights with RN BBs.

• Cool 1

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
45 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Belfast.

IFHE makes that ship truly OP.

I wasn’t lucky enough to be playing at that point... really missed out so I try to forget about it... haha

[NSEW]
Members
1,712 posts
10,351 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Far enough that if you start taking heavy focus fire, you simply hold gunfire and "go dark." 

This applies to all ships, but RN BB in particular. Taking on HE shells non stop will not counter your massive heal consumable.

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
343 posts
5,570 battles

Also with the Monarch, use HE less and AP more. It's deceptively reliable at doing decent damage on all targets.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
On 7/2/2018 at 2:52 PM, LowSpeed_US said:

This applies to all ships, but RN BB in particular. Taking on HE shells non stop will not counter your massive heal consumable.

I can't tell you how many times Conqueror's stealth has saved her.  When her Repair Party is on that long CD, those pens against her rack up very quickly.  If I had not kept her at a safe distance, I'd not be able to "go dark" and save, recover the ship.

[NSEW]
Members
1,712 posts
10,351 battles
On 10/07/2018 at 11:30 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I can't tell you how many times Conqueror's stealth has saved her.  When her Repair Party is on that long CD, those pens against her rack up very quickly.  If I had not kept her at a safe distance, I'd not be able to "go dark" and save, recover the ship.

Still on my Lion on the way to the Conqueor. However, your statement is very true. Her concealment saved me and allowed me to push the other tier battleships away from their flank. Totally ending up on their spawn and firing down at them. Concealment is a very good option for RN.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
7 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Still on my Lion on the way to the Conqueor. However, your statement is very true. Her concealment saved me and allowed me to push the other tier battleships away from their flank. Totally ending up on their spawn and firing down at them. Concealment is a very good option for RN.

It's not an option, it's a MUST for the VII+ RN BBs.  Especially for Conqueror as she has the lowest HP pool of Tier X BBs.  She can save you from a bad mistake with her Repair Party, but it will only buy you so much time if you can't disengage and go dark.

Which is why I looked at Conqueror's Legendary Upgrade stats, what slot they belonged to, and laughed, spraying soda on the monitor.

Members
11 posts
5,334 battles
On 7/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I was curious about Nelson with its 16" guns maybe doing rude things to 6-7 cruisers, so I gave it a try in a training room (no point in testing against BB or DD, none of them have a relevant armor plate between 101mm and 131mm)

Test Group

New Orleans, Fiji, Yorck, Budyonny, Leander, Algérie, Schors, Myoko, Aoba, Helena, Nurnberg, La Galissonniere

Results

La Galissonniere (105mm cit), Algérie (110mm cit): Easy to citadel

Fiji (114mm cit), Leander (100mm cit, for control group): Surprisingly difficult to cit, only able with plunging fire

Yorck (turtlebacked, torpedo bulges), Nurnberg (torpedo bulges): Able to cit Yorck occationaly with plunging (??? I can't explain this one, don't think its due to IFHE though)

Schors (75mm, control group), Budyonny (114mm): Unable to cit schors, somewhat easy to cit budyonny

Helena (127mm): Somewhat easy to cit

New Orleans (127mm): Couldnt make a cit happen

Myoko (102mm cit, bulges), Aoba (76mm cit, bulges): couldn't make a cit happen

Discussion

-To nobody's surprise, I can confirm that the math works as advertised: HE shell blows up on the first piece of ship it finds, if that happens to be a citadel it can pen it does pen it. (still confused about that Yorck though)

-Could be occationally a nasty surprise when playing nelson and unloading your load of HE to replace it with AP and accidentally doing the AP's job

-BUT, if shooting at cruisers with BB guns and short fuse AP, if wanting to deliberately load HE, Don't.

Conclusion

Interesting, but ultimately not useful. You would only ever use this to your advantage accidentally, since British BBs are already equiped with a vastly superior anti-cruiser munition, that being their short fuse AP, and this costs 0 points on your captain build.

Afterthought

This could perhaps make for an interesting mechanic for a premium ship or something, in giving a ship 1/4 HE pen shells where IFHE enables nasty things to red cruisers, while retaining a long fuse AP shell more appropriate to shooting BBs.

I'm going to test it in randoms a couple times to giggle at it, and then I'm going to put the fail behind me and rebuild by RN BB captain to something good.