You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

What is the best way to play Hipper?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,592 posts
3,809 battles

Hi all I am grinding through Hipper and I am noticing get that I can improve some. So I am asking today for tips on how to play better as I want achieve a higher damage output. I have noticed that the ap is far more effective than the he is for some reason. I think my main problem is being too agressive on caps. I am trying to get to tier 10 Hindenburg by the wows anniversary as apart of a goal to get to ten tier tens. So I welcome any tips on the tier 8,9,10. Hipper is fully upgraded on Hull c.

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

This is a tougher ship to play imo. I have the Prinz and the best way for me to play it is medium to long range. You can get close but you need hard cover. Be patient and don’t be aggressive. What are your commander skills? Your HE has 1/4 pen instead of 1/6 so you can do damage to anything but the alpha is lower. Your AP is great so if you see broadside targets, use it. The Hipper got the ROF buff while the Prinz got the heal. Best way to improve is to watch your replay and see what you did wrong. Did you not pay attention to minimap? Just too aggressive? See a DD and not react soon enough? Broadside a BB? 

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
Members
231 posts
4,302 battles
23 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Hi all I am grinding through Hipper and I am noticing get that I can improve some. So I am asking today for tips on how to play better as I want achieve a higher damage output. I have noticed that the ap is far more effective than the he is for some reason. I think my main problem is being too agressive on caps. I am trying to get to tier 10 Hindenburg by the wows anniversary as apart of a goal to get to ten tier tens. So I welcome any tips on the tier 8,9,10. Hipper is fully upgraded on Hull c.

German cruisers are not island waifu ships ( no hugging them), nor are they designed to sit near caps and contest directly like USN and RN ships. You have to float around the area at around 10-12km minimum and extended away as needed. 
German 203mm has an Alpha damage of 5900, meaning with penetrations and citadels they deal the most damage period. Even Tier X Moskva with 220mm guns deals 5,800 alpha, although her guns are over 10x better in general. American cruisers deal 5,000 only, but with better AP penetration. 

Under 15km, you want to use AP on anything broadside. Battleships or cruisers, AP. Upper belt on battleships, go for citadels on cruisers. Don't be afraid to hold your shot until they present the perfect target, because a missed shot will result in your AP hitting angled armor and harmlessly bouncing off. If you're facing angled, pushing battleships, you need to do what is called 'kiting' and fire HE back at them while moving away. At this point you'll want to stay at least 14-15km back and even all the way to your 17.7km range. 

Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen have the flattest 203mm gun arcs and the best range on their guns for Tier 8 iirc, challenged only by Charles Martel. This means you are more than capable of operating at range. 
If you just want to farm damage numbers and citadels, then keep AP loaded and wait for cruisers to make mistakes. Your priority targets for citadels are IJN cruisers and Royal Navy cruisers. They have the most exposed citadels, making them juicy targets for 3-4 citadels in single salvo.

Is X Ship broadside?  
>Shoot AP
Is Y ship angled? 
>Shoot HE
Is Z ship a destroyer? 
>Turn on Hydro and shoot HE

Edited by Seniorious
  • Cool 5

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,347 posts
15,832 battles

Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen can be very dangerous in short ranges, congested map areas if played smartly.

If you got Hydro slotted, Hipper prowling around islands is very dangerous.  DDs have to be careful or be spotted.  Hipper also has double sets of torp launchers per side and can devastate even a BB if she catches them.

Another thing to remember is that USN & German Tier VIII-X CAs have 27mm bows.  What this means is you can bounce 380mm AP on the bow.  Played right, you can charge a BB like Bismarck, Richelieu, Alsace, and bounce their AP on the bow.  Your guns may be damaged, but the point is to ride that bow so that it gets you close enough to plant torpedoes into the threat.  But be aware, stuff like 406mm or larger guns like on Alabama, NC, Amagi, Musashi, Yamato, FDG, GK, Missouri, Iowa will penetrate your bow.  Even Nagato and Colorado at Tier VII have guns big enough to penetrate your 27mm bow.  But these days, there are TONS of 380mm armed Battleships, so the 27mm bow has value.

Still, don't recklessly try to feature it, just be aware of what Hipper can do in the proper situation, and leverage that advantage when the time comes.

German Cruisers are very proficient in range, which is likely what you'll be playing them as most of the time.  But at High Tier, they can also be deadly in short ranged, congested map areas.  Those torpedoes are what you use to keep people honest if they consider trying to push towards you.

Hipper & Prinz Eugen are good platforms to practice short ranged German Cruiser combat, because IMO, they're pretty close to Hindenburg in style.  Tier IX Roon is nothing at all like the Tier VIII & X ships, she's actually a Konigsberg / Nurnberg on PEDs.  However, Roon loses a lot of torpedo armament by dropping to 1 quad launcher per side, instead of the 2x triple launcher per side you had at Tier VIII.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
1,592 posts
4,360 battles

A long time ago on a forum not so far away, I asked this question. Kombat_WOMBAT provided an answer worth searching for. I’m not sure if he’s still around, but he could make the KM CA work like few others I’ve seen.

[AAA]
Members
545 posts
6,430 battles

Adding to what has been said, AP is your friend. I am at the point I almost won't switch. Even BBs bow on, I just aim for the superstructure and plunge. I get much better damage than HE. In games where I use HE unless I see a juicy broadside I don't get anywhere near the damage.

I can brawl as said above, but that is a late mid to late game when I close the range. Stay at distance. Snuggle up with your favorite BB, and farm AP. Move in mid to late game

Members
110 posts
1,946 battles

^ this.

Since I've switched to having AP loaded as standard the Hipper clicked with me. The guns are accurate enough to get superstructure hits on angled BBs if needed. I only switch to HE when I realy need it.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,845 battles

I got uptiered so much in the Hipper against Tier 10's that I free xp'd the last little bit to get to the Roon and then free xp'd my way right to the Hindenburg. :Smile_great:  The Hindy was the Tier 10 cruiser I had wanted since playing her rental in clan battles. I hated the Hipper but like my US Baltimore and Cleveland. Hipper needs heal ability, radar or a spotter plane imho. Option for radar or spotter would be great and make her funner to play.

Edited by dust340man

Members
93 posts

The last thing we need is another ship with radar!  Spotter plane is an interesting idea, but I find that dispersion trolls me hard enough already at max range.  Heal would be awesome, but since PE already got that, I don’t think we will ever see that on the Hipper.

Honestly, I wish she just had a little bit better concealment.

[SPTR]
Members
26,343 posts
11,630 battles

Thank you all to the helpful solutions on playing the hipper I too was looking for help in playing mine as well. /^_\\

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,976 battles

Vlll and lX ships are tough to play at times because of MM when uptiered 

I’ve always found AP situational on  Cruisers looking for Broadside situations at X as all ships there hit hard,so usually run HE .. start fire , rinse and repeat thingy

..have a Hindenburg and Zao, it’s a toss up which I like best .. maybe the sniper Zao has the fun edge because of better rudder shift, lower detection and the 12 k Torps however

the Hindenburg I do more damage in, her guns seem to be a tad stronger with her main guns shooting  further and are very accurate.. must be German precision 

she leans more to brawler style and is tougher than the Zao, she’s not quite as maneuverable and is more detectible

I run the spotterplane making her shoot further than some BBs and any Island campers are in big trouble ,one fun ship and you won’t be disappointed 

[HRG]
Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

I like the Hipper but can somebody tell me why my shells break on a angled  Charles Martel at 12k away firing AP and 

[STW]
Members
59 posts
13,941 battles
On 9/6/2018 at 1:47 PM, Riker_2 said:

I like the Hipper but can somebody tell me why my shells break on a angled  Charles Martel at 12k away firing AP and 

KM cruiser AP penetration falls off quickly as targets angle.  So while the KM cruiser AP has the highest alpha damage in the game, it's efficacy can be quite situational.  Anything showing you more than 60 degrees (90 being full broadside) is a prime target for AP.  In the range of 45-60, penetration is somewhat less reliable.  30-45 degrees and you should be firing HE whereas USN and RN counterparts still enjoy a decent chance to penetrate targets.  With a few rare exceptions, fire HE at targets showing less than 30 degrees of angle.

• Cool 1

[FTWRK]
Beta Testers
2 posts
1,761 battles

Love Hipper TBQH. One of my best ships (coincidentally also my first T8). AP is no joke at all, 8-10k salvos on T10 BBs are not uncommon.

One thing I particularly enjoy about the Hipper is that I personally don't feel it suffers enormously when uptiered to T10. I've had probably around 10 or so 100k+ damage games so far over about 70 games playing this ship, and several of those were at T10. Your AP is really your bread and butter, and even T10s can't give you broadside for too long because you can citadel many of the T10 cruisers and punish T10 BBs hard with a few good salvos, quickly shaving off 20k or more HP if they ignore you too long. 

Still working through it to Roon ATM. May update when I pick that ship up. Bottom line is Hipper requires judicious use of AP and good map awareness, but if both those components are there it can be a threat even at T10.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,347 posts
15,832 battles

With Tier IX Jean Bart and Tier X Bourgogne coming, both armed with 380mm guns, the 27mm bow of High Tier German and USN CAs is looking more and more attractive.  It also allows these same CAs to be able to face tank the 305mm AP from Kronshtadt and even the upcoming Alaska.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,267 battles

Ive had a LOT of fun with Hipper, a lot more than I expected given the glass cannons previous to it. Brawl anything that isnt a BB, Rush BBs and make them eat all sorts of torps.    Bottom tier, be a fair bit more cautious, and patient.

Members
72 posts
6,927 battles

Hipper is rather flexible in its capabilities, but really excels in typhoons / cyclones. It has good torpedo angles and armor layout that is near immune citadel damage under ~7km, even from BB caliber guns, due to lack of plunging fire.

Hipper's major weakness is lack of horizontal armor over the citadel (same is true about Roon and Hindenburg). It is eazy to citadel through the upper belt at 10~13km or deck at ~15+ km with 203 mm guns found on other heavy cruisers.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,133 posts
4,359 battles

Load AP, get to cover, pounce on other cruisers and destroyers in close quarters, and above all else: Hail Hydro!

That said, Hipper can have success as a mid-line ship with others screening in front of and alongside her, but your maneuver game has to really up to the task to keep from taking too much damage. She's the toughest tech tree cruiser at her tier, but she's still a cruiser.