You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Vangm94

My Destroyer Tactics & Notes (mostly IJN)

64 comments in this topic

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles

My tactics are mostly developed for IJN Destroyers but they may work for Destroyers with similar stats. A lot of what I say intertwine with each other. I don't believe I have much proof in my videos because battle conditions constantly change. I am using Asashio has my main video because all she has are her deep-water torpedoes and her stealth. She is weak so I have to be significantly more careful with her compared to my other ships.

Concealment is all a Destroyer has, more so for a IJN Destroyer. You have to make full use of this while at the same time being effective in battle I will not discuss torpedoes (other than when to shoot) because everyone has their own way of aiming and launching torpedoes.

• Pre-game
    • Learn what you will be facing so that you can plan on how far you are willing to go\
    • Learn the map
    • Fear all Destroyers and Cruisers
  • Communication
    • Communicate and explain what you are doing
    • Let your allies know:
      • When your smoke will reload
        • "Smoke, 60 seconds" or "55... 30... 10... smoking now"
      • Do not stop in your smoke
        • "DO NOT STOP IN MY SMOKE"
    • If your Destroyer has super long range torpedoes (10+ km) and your allies are on the direct opposite end of where you are firing
      • Let your allies know where you are launching and where they will be going, this way you have done everything in your power to not team kill
  • Smoke
    • Provide smoke walls to cover your allies when they are fired upon
      • Be willing to scrap the side of an ally if you can provide them with smoke
      • Do not provide smoke if the ally is in close proximity to the enemy, this will negate its usefulness
    • Almost never stop in smoke, move slowly
    • Use your smoke to runaway from difficult sitations
  • Scouting
    • After providing a smoke wall, stay outside of it if you can to provide targets for your allies
    • Be near a cap but don't take it
      • If you take it, it tells the enemy you are close
      • You can always take a cap back when it is safe
    • Before proceeding with anything, let the enemy get themselves exposed
    • Be willing to get spotted
      • Either facing towards the enemy or away from the enemy, shoot your gun once and see who and how many ships look at you
      • If they shoot, they expose themselves
        • If they shoot, don't shoot you have 20 seconds until your concealment comes back
        • If they are able to get within your concealment, shoot because you are unlikely gonna make it back to safety unless you have smoke
  • Speed
    • Take your time when going towards a cap
    • Sometimes slowing down when running away from the enemy can be beneficial in dodging shells
    • Don't be afraid to beach yourself (bow on) on an island if it can make you stop faster as long as you are not in enemy firing view
  • Main Guns
    • Do not be afraid to fire your main guns at a Battleship with low health unless it has support
    • Do not be afraid to distract the enemy with  your guns while running away
      • If you can prevent the enemy from shooting one salvo at an ally, it gives you ally an extra chance of surviving
    • Use your gun as "radar", what I mean by this is that you intentionally make yourself so that the enemy fires upon you
      • They will expose themselves if they fire
      • This will tell you how many ships are on that side
    • After an enemy used Repair Party, set them on fire again and switch to AP (dependent on where you are shooting)
      • AP can do surprising damage on any ship when aimed right
    • Do not be afraid fire your main guns at solo warships from range every twenty seconds
      • By doing this, you can distract them from firing on your own allies
      • They will typically not know what to do when this happens
  • Torpedoes
    • Confirm visual contact
    • Look at what is around you
    • Hold your fire because there will always be a better position to fire from
    • Check what is around you again
    • If you can, get within concealment range before launching (be as close as possible)
    • Don't launch torpedoes when the enemy is moving in the opposite direction
      • It is always easier to dodge torpedoes when they are "chasing"
    • If your Destroyer has super long range torpedoes (10+ km) and your allies are on the direct opposite end of where you are firing
      • Hold your fire as long as you can and communicate to your allies on where your torpedoes will be going
  • Anti-Air
    • AA should almost always stay off
      • AA can stay off if AA Range is less than .5km
    • Do not be afraid to turn on AA if an enemy CV constantly spots you and you have no smoke
      • If you are gonna be constantly spotted, why not shoot?
      • If you are gonna be attacked by bombers, why not shoot?
    • Do not be afraid to turn on AA and turn around to support your allies if enemy bombers spotted you and bombs your ally instead
      • If you can shoot down just one enemy plane, that will help your ally
      • You have already been spotted, so the enemy already knows where to expect you
  • Ways of dealing with radar
    • "Wild Weasel"
      • Entice the enemy by exposing yourself
        • Be in a position to dodge and to run from radar range
        • Fire a few shells
      • By exposing yourself, the enemy is most likely to use radar
      • Dodge enemy fire for twenty seconds
        • Count to twenty while dodging enemy fire
        • If you have Priority Target, count the amount of players looking at you to determine how many players are in that area
      • If you have allies, hopefully they sink the radar ships

Fubuki/Asashio Skills & Upgrades

Spoiler

Fubuki/Asashio Captain Skills

• Incoming Fire Alert
    • This is how I know when to manuver
  • Priority Target
    • This is how I know I how many ships are looking at me
  • Preventative Maintenance
    • I had nothing else to use this point for
  • Last Stand
    • If I stop, I am dead
  • Smoke Screen Expert
    • IJN smoke is not great, this is my attempt at making it better
    • I support my allies
  • Expert Marksman
    • It's bad so she needs it
  • Basic Firing Training
    • It's bad so she needs it
  • Torpedo Armament Expertise
    • Torpedoes will always be IJN DDs main weapons
  • Concealment Expert
    • If they can't see me, I can support my team and go on torpedo runs

Fubuki Upgrades

•  

Asashio Upgrades

•  

Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 8

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
2 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

"Know what ships have radar "

Is there a handy dandy guide for this

I realistically don't know what ship has what. I just know USN has radar and I keep note of what ships may threaten me the most.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,197 posts
12,673 battles
3 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Is there a handy dandy guide for this

All US cruisers at Tier 8 and up, and the Russian Chapayev for a start. US and Commonwealth Tier 7 premium cruisers. Pan-Asian destroyer Yue Yang (T10), and possibly the T9 Chung Mu as well. US Missouri (T9 premium BB).

British cruisers at Tier 8 to 10 are able to mount it, but it means losing their smoke generator and a lot of British CL mains don't like to do that. It makes life interesting for the cruiser driver, though.

If you see a Tier 8-plus British cruiser smoking up, that's one less radar in the game.

• Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All US cruisers at Tier 8 and up, and the Russian Chapayev for a start. US and Commonwealth Tier 7 premium cruisers. Pan-Asian destroyer Yue Yang (T10), and possibly the T9 Chung Mu as well. US Missouri (T9 premium BB).

British cruisers at Tier 8 to 10 are able to mount it, but it means losing their smoke generator and a lot of British CL mains don't like to do that. It makes life interesting for the cruiser driver, though.

If you see a Tier 8-plus British cruiser smoking up, that's one less radar in the game.

I simply fear everything but BBs given that everything else already has a significant advantage over a IJN DD.

Edited by Vangm94

[B_Y_F]
Members
498 posts
11,893 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

+T9 premium DD, USS Black

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,148 posts
13,804 battles

Very nice and I would like to add a couple things to the smoke section. Smoke can also be used as a decoy where you lay smoke for curious CAs and DDs to approach, but you have already moved ahead into a position to catch those approaching ships broadside as they let their curiously and greed get the best of them.

Other trick is more rare, but if you are brawling with another DD you can lay smoke to obscure the sight of their allies to the point that if they lay down cover fire for the DD you are brawling with they can manage to hit their ship instead of yours since with smoke layer it can be hard to judge what is happening.

• Cool 1

Members
886 posts
14,046 battles

Playing IJN I have to be honest I don't smoke up teammates much.

With gun blooms from smoke weakening the concealment it doesn't provide much help for others.

I save my smoke for the situations where I can escape or stealth torp from it.

This may sound selfish, but I am also a reasonably good player and I feel the longer I stick around in a DD the more I can influence the match.

My smoke is for me except for very rare circumstances like smoking up the cv to save his butt from cruisers.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Very nice and I would like to add a couple things to the smoke section. Smoke can also be used as a decoy where you lay smoke for curious CAs and DDs to approach, but you have already moved ahead into a position to catch those approaching ships broadside as they let their curiously and greed get the best of them.

Other trick is more rare, but if you are brawling with another DD you can lay smoke to obscure the sight of their allies to the point that if they lay down cover fire for the DD you are brawling with they can manage to hit their ship instead of yours since with smoke layer it can be hard to judge what is happening.

• For me personally, I am not good at setting decoys. I am good at being a distraction though... but I get what you mean. I just prefer to either support my allies or "runaway" with my smoke instead
  • This trick is interesting. Though if I see smoke, I just ignore it and shoot anything around it than attempt to assist an allied a DD in a brawl

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

Playing IJN I have to be honest I don't smoke up teammates much.

With gun blooms from smoke weakening the concealment it doesn't provide much help for others.

I save my smoke for the situations where I can escape or stealth torp from it.

This may sound selfish, but I am also a reasonably good player and I feel the longer I stick around in a DD the more I can influence the match.

My smoke is for me except for very rare circumstances like smoking up the cv to save his butt from cruisers.

The main reason I use my smoke for support is because of their concealment. The smoke is "weak" but the enemy will never know that I am with a BB or CA. Fletcher obviously does it better though...

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,148 posts
13,804 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:
  • For me personally, I am not good at setting decoys. I am good at being a distraction though... but I get what you mean. I just prefer to either support my allies or "runaway" with my smoke instead
  • This trick is interesting. Though if I see smoke, I just ignore it and shoot anything around it than attempt to assist an allied a DD in a brawl

Yeah the docy trick is situational, the map and the way things start playing out just happen to have the opportunity to do it sometimes. The smoke decoy can also scare off enemy BBs that lack Hydro as well, which is useful if you are needing to stall for time. The decoy smoke can make enemy possibly think a larger force is there since no garrentee only 1 DD is in the smoke if your team has several DDs that are unaccounted for.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah the docy trick is situational, the map and the way things start playing out just happen to have the opportunity to do it sometimes. The smoke decoy can also scare off enemy BBs that lack Hydro as well, which is useful if you are needing to stall for time. The decoy smoke can make enemy possibly think a larger force is there since no garrentee only 1 DD is in the smoke if your team has several DDs that are unaccounted for.

It has been a long time since I did this trick though... as long as I was 1v1 against a BB with no hydro or radar, I would shoot him and make him chase me. I would then pop smoke in the hopes that he would chase me through it. I would then turn around into the smoke and torpedo it. I have not used it in a long time because my new tactics don't allow for it as much.

[KWF]
Members
4,019 posts
6,169 battles

Nice guide ! +1:cap_like:

Would also add that at ranges over 6.5-7km you got a good advantage vs DDs with floaty arcs. The fact that many IJN DDs get 2 aft turrets can certainly he helpful.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Nice guide ! +1:cap_like:

Would also add that at ranges over 6.5-7km you got a good advantage vs DDs with floaty arcs. The fact that many IJN DDs get 2 aft turrets can certainly he helpful.

Shooting while running away. That is what I try to do a lot.

[SHAFT]
Members
793 posts
16,676 battles
8 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Shooting while running away. That is what I try to do a lot.

Correct. IJN dds have slow rate of fire, but are very accurate.

Having two turrets at the rear is also a plus meaning you can basically use two thirds of your armament without exposing your sides.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
17 posts
8,413 battles

Personally, if I am running the TRB on the Kagero/Harekaze/Yugumo, I would tell the team at the beginning of the match.

• Cool 3

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,384 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

Pre-game

• Get an idea of what you will be facing so that you can plan on how much you are willing to go
  • Know what ships have radar
  • Know what Destroyers the enemy have

Agreed, 100%. Matchmaking monitor is also helpful, so you at least know if that Cleveland you're about to waste smoke on is a 30% player or not.

Communication

• Try and say what you are going to do
  • Let you allies know how long you consumables and/or torpedoes will take to reload
    • "Smoke, 60 seconds", "30", "Smoking now"

Ideally, yes. Now a days, I rarely say anything at the start of the match. Otherwise, every BB and CA in the game starts trying to order you around on where to go and what cap to take. In reality, I ain't taking any caps. The BBs and CAs can take them. Not like they give any xp anyways. 

Smoke

• Create long smoke walls to give your allies cover while they are fired upon
  • Don't stop in smoke, move slow
  • Use smoke to runaway

I use speed boost before hitting smoke for teammates. I usually do this at the start of the match when I am passing the islands nearby the cap I'm planning to flank.

I rarely use smoke on myself. It's not worth it. And almost never hit smoke and sit in it. Exceptions might be late game when trying to damage a BB while my torps are on cool down. Essentially, as a DD in today's radartastic environment, stopping your ship in any way shape or form is likely to get you killed. It takes too long to accelerate from a stop to get out of the way once someone radar's or hydros you in smoke.

Using smoke to run away is rarely effective for many reasons, but it can come in handy situationally. It's useful to cut down your detection via gunbloom after firing at another DD or whatever.

The biggest most important thing to remember about smoke is that it blinds both you and your teammates. So if you're using it to run away, you've essentially dropped a smoke screen for the enemy to use against you.

Scouting

• After you create your smoke wall, stay in front of it as long as you can stay concealed so that you can keep the enemy spotted
  • Get close to the cap but don't go immediately in it, this negates your concealment
  • Let the enemy get spotted before proceeding with anything

Solid advice. I flank almost 100% of the time, since it allows me to see radar cruisers that are parked behind islands.

Speed

• Take your time until the enemy fires and/or are spotted
  • Sometimes slowing down when running away from the enemy can be beneficial
  • Don't be afraid to beach yourself on an island if it can make you stop faster as long as you are not in enemy firing view

Speed is life. Use care when sailing in the direct of unspotted enemies. I usually try to sail parallel to likely contacts so I don't end up deeper into their detection range than I need to, since turning takes alot of time. If I have to make a turn to start going parallel in the other direction, I either make my turn in the direction of my teammates or I cut the throttle to 3/4 so I'm not flying in the direction of what could be an unspotted enemy.

How does slowing down when running from an enemy help? I have some ideas, but love to hear your thoughts.

Beaching yourself can be very dicey. It's one thing to ram nose first into an island to stop yourself, but a complete other to catch your side on it, as it's super easy to get hung up.

Main Guns

• Do not be afraid to fire your main guns after the enemy BB drops to less than 1000hp as long as it does not have support, if you can kill it then it is worth it
  • Distract the enemy with only one shot from your guns while running away, this way you can help lessen enemy fire on your team
  • Use your gun as "radar", what I mean by this is that you intentionally make yourself so that the enemy fires upon you
    • This makes it so that they make themselves spotted
    • This gives you an idea of how may ships are looking at you

If you're full health, guns are another asset that should be used provided there's not a million enemies waiting to detect you.

After you get a torp hit, watch for the enemy to damage control the flooding, once they do that's a good time to toss some gunfire at them in the hopes of getting lucky with a fire.

Rarely hurts to put a couple of rounds at a ship just before you pass behind an island.

Once your torps are on the way, firing can be a good way to bait the enemy into focusing on shooting you, rather than paying attention to their torp warning.

For more concealment focused DDs, like the IJN line, never letting the enemy have any clue where you are can work to your advantage. This might mean not just avoiding any gun fire, but also avoiding low percentage torp volleys (very hard to resist, I know). Once they see torps pass by, they have an idea of where you are, costing you any element of surprise.

Edited by Lensar
  • Meh 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
3 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Agreed, 100%. Matchmaking monitor is also helpful, so you at least know if that Cleveland you're about to waste smoke on is a 30% player or not.

• I don't need any thing like this because I simply fear... everything other than some BBs. Everything and anything can easily kill a IJN DD so I just try to wait til they spot themselves.
4 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Ideally, yes. Now a days, I rarely say anything at the start of the match. Otherwise, ever BB and CA in the game starts trying to order you around on where to go and what cap to take. In reality, I ain't taking any caps. The BBs and CAs can take them. Not like they give any xp anyways. 

• Compared to win I play CVs, I probably won't say anything either. At most, just letting my allies know that they can expect some smoke cover in 60 seocnds, 50 seconds, 30 seconds, can perhaps give them some relief... assuming there is no one either on the side or behind the smoke... because that will negate it.

6 minutes ago, Lensar said:

I use speed boost before hitting smoke for teammates. I usually do this at the start of the match when I am passing the islands nearby the cap I'm planning to flank.

I rarely use smoke on myself. It's not worth it. And almost never hit smoke and sit in it. Exceptions might be late game when trying to damage a BB while my torps are on cool down. Essentially, as a DD in today's radartastic environment, stopping your ship in any way shape or form is likely to get you killed. It takes too long to accelerate from a stop to get out of the way once someone radar's or hydros you in smoke.

Using smoke to run away is rarely effective for many reasons, but it can come in handy situationally. It's useful to cut down your detection via gunbloom after firing at another DD or whatever.

The biggest most important thing to remember about smoke is that it blinds both you and your teammates. So if you're using it to run away, you've essentially dropped a smoke screen for the enemy to use against you.

• Yep, if I can, I like to make the wall longer with my after my speed boost
  • I've been playing since CBT where no one ever stopped, so I just don't stop, I just slow down
  • I agree, it is ineffective but it is situation based so if I can preserve myself to come back, it is worth it
9 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Speed is life. Use care when sailing in the direct of unspotted enemies. I usually try to sail parallel to likely contacts so I don't end up deeper into their detection range than I need to, since turning takes alot of time. If I have to make a turn to start going parallel in the other direction, I either make my turn in the direction of my teammates or I cut the throttle to 3/4 so I am flying in the direction of what could be an unspotted enemy.

How does slowing down when running from an enemy help? I have some ideas, but love to hear your thoughts.

Beaching yourself can be very dicey. It's one thing to ram nose first into an island to stop yourself, but a complete other to catch your side on it, as it's super easy to get hung up.

• Agreed
  • This one is more situation based.. so I find it hard to understand myself
    • All I can say is maybe watch some of my recent DD Videos (0.7.5.0) and they might show it
    • As I play more again this week I might be able to explain it
  • Agreed, it is situation based and it works for all ship types
    • It's for those moments when you know there is something on the other side of the island but don't know if he will torp

Most of my tactics are WIP because it is harder to get my thoughts on DDs than CVs. I will be adding my CO Skills too later.

[SHAFT]
Members
793 posts
16,676 battles
55 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The wiki lists out ships with radar, range and duration. Here's the link http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar

For the lazier ones of us see image below. For me range of radar is very important, if I'm facing US radar cruisers I try to stay just at the 9.5 to 10 km range once i can see them and hopefully bait them to using it when I am at the edge of their range.

However, if they have not/are not spotted it all comes down to map awareness to figure out the island spots that they may be snuggling up behind. I try to not approach those areas too early and will usually try to flank wide so I can try and see behind said island, no use keeping the island between you and what may be hiding behind it.

Russian radar runs so short, you just gotta do the shimmy shimmy shake and speed boost your rear out of that area.

radar.png

• Cool 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,939 posts
16,628 battles

Not just Tactics...

Study the map.. what looks like a good place to go as a DD or cruiser on the other team?... be sure to lay some of those lovely IJN torps in  that location.

I swear I get more torps hits off of laying a spread into anticipated location of enemy ships I don't even see yet, then I do with the ones I'm actually aiming to try and hit with!

IJN Gunboats (Harekaze, Akizuki, Kitikaze, Haregumo)  induce terror in the minds of players on the receiving end of the 100mm Dakka at 20 rounds or better per minute per gun tube.   The harassment value is not to be underestimated.

Don't shoot the lead ship.  Shoot the one behind him.  More likely to cut and run leaving the forward ship all alone.  

Everything you do shooting wise (torps or guns) tell the opposition you are there.  Use your guns and torps, but learn when using them may not be a very good idea... a spread of torps in the water spotted by anything is an arrow pointing back to you.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to advertise!    Kinda like finding a Ninja in a DayGlo jump juit with a Disney cartoon print.  Loud, noticeable.

What DD's do better than any other ship type is what in MMORPG's is called "Crowd Control"   You can lock multiple ships down by shooting torps tended to be spotted!  Be sure not to fire all of them at once!   Always hold a shot back.   Only takes 4 big IJN torps to kill most tier VIII BB's as long as they all hit together.  About the same in all tiers give or take a torp or two. 

You can sew chaos and confusion.  Nobody can do it better.    Do it often as possible.  And it's really a lot of fun too! 

The MM doesn't not consider your win rate or any other stats.. it does how ever factor in your performance of the last several battles I am told (how many is a secret) so if your constantly up tiered it means your out performing a hole lotta other players.....and that can even include when your doing poorly...  Makes ya wonder!  (if my worst was better than 20 other players best.. yea..... ohhh boy)

• Cool 3

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,384 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I don't need any thing like this because I simply fear... everything other than some BBs. Everything and anything can easily kill a IJN DD so I just try to wait til they spot themselves.

I mean for info on your teammates. I never look at the enemy stats myself. You don't want to dive in and smoke a BB that's about to die if it's someone with a 30% winrate, as it's not worth the risk. If it's a decent player, might be worth doing.

4 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Most of my tactics are WIP because it is harder to get my thoughts on DDs than CVs. I will be adding my CO Skills too later.

I think it's great. Keep at it!

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts

Spoiler

My tactics are mostly developed for IJN Destroyers but they may work for Destroyers with similar stats. A lot of what I say intertwine with each other. I don't believe I have much proof in my videos because battle conditions constantly change. I am using Asashio has my main video because all she has are her deep-water torpedoes and her stealth. She is weak so I have to be significantly more careful with her compared to my other ships.

Concealment is all a Destroyer has, more so for a IJN Destroyer. You have to make full use of this while at the same time being effective in battle I will not discuss torpedoes because everyone has their own way of aiming and launching torpedoes.

• Pre-game
    • Get an idea of what you will be facing so that you can plan on how much you are willing to go
    • Fear all Destroyers and Cruisers
  • Communication
    • Try and say what you are going to do
    • Let your allies know how long your consumables and/or torpedoes will take to reload
      • "Smoke, 60 seconds", "30", "Smoking now"
  • Smoke
    • Create long smoke walls to give your allies cover while they are fired upon
    • Don't stop in smoke, move slow
    • Use smoke to runaway
    • Don't be afraid to run into an ally (as long as you are not in the way of his guns) and provide smoke cover
    • If your ally is within close proximity to the enemy (less than 5km and is dependant on the ship type)
  • Scouting
    • After you create your smoke wall, stay in front of it as long as you can stay concealed so that you can keep the enemy spotted
    • Get close to the cap but don't go immediately in it, this negates your concealment
    • Let the enemy get spotted before proceeding with anything
    • Be willing to get spotted
  • Speed
    • Go towards a cap but take your time until the enemy fires and/or are spotted
    • Sometimes slowing down when running away from the enemy can be beneficial in dodging shells
    • Don't be afraid to beach yourself (bow on) on an island if it can make you stop faster as long as you are not in enemy firing view
  • Main Guns
    • Do not be afraid to fire your main guns after the enemy BB drops to less than 1000hp as long as it does not have support
    • Distract the enemy with only one shot from your guns while running away, this way you can help lessen enemy fire on your team
      • If you can prevent the enemy from shooting one salvo at an ally because you distracted him, you have a chance of winning those close battles
      • This makes it so that they make themselves spotted
      • This gives you an idea of how may ships are looking at you

•  

Excellent summary. Particularly the point about using your guns. The guns on IJN DDs are quite decent, however too few people use them. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
498 posts
11,893 battles
18 minutes ago, Lensar said:

maybe some fire dodging trick? I feel everone in T8+ is very good at shooting target at full speed but not 3/4. When you are running, the angle don't allow enemy to know your speed so they always assume max.

If there isn't a DD chasing me, I'll always try to very the speed.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
4 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Excellent summary. Particularly the point about using your guns. The guns on IJN DDs are quite decent, however too few people use them. 

When I played Ryujo, I have had times (whether IJN or any other nation) where the DD would just look at me after he fired his torpedoes. I've seen plenty o battles where no one shoots at all.