You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Indy Marathon's 1750 BXP mission ATE MY WEEKEND!!!

21 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles

Like I said, all my playing efforts on both Saturday and Sunday were dedicated to trying to achieve it. I even had one game as bottom tier in the Farragut in which I sank two battleships, torped and could have finished a third (I know what my mistake was there) and even took a solo cap; alas, the Sunday Morning Server Shenanigans ate the result. Allowing time to have something resembling a life in between, I was trying up to literally the very last minute this morning (I got into a Lyon game with it active; I got out of the Lyon game to find that the mission had switched). I even tried a few games in the Edinburgh last night.

What did I get for this loss of my weekend? :cap_hmm:

1) Lots of practice in the Warspite; the XP I have on that ship is what I wish I had in my Iron Duke, but she's training my I.D. captain so there are some benefits there. Warspite is a fun ship, though she's going to be a fair bit less productive when I've finished grinding through all her boost missions.

2) The satisfaction of finishing the Farragut grind and moving up to the Mahan. I'll keep the Farragut; she's a useful tool to have around, even though I do now have a second T6 destroyer (Gallant) that I can use in Ranked if that's ever applicable again.

3) Finishing the Edinburgh grind, and THAT is something I thought I'd never say any time this year. However, Ranked Battles helped and premium camo certainly helped. Of course I'm 7 million short of the silver I need for the Neptune, having bought both the Dallas (whose upgraded fire control I unlocked in the 100 module grind) and the Mahan just this week. But the important thing is that Edin's my go-to ship for the permanent (Tier 8+) campaigns, and with her successor unlocked she will generate Free XP if I ever decide I need to convert it.

4) An appreciation of the Dallas. Sure, she's only five sixths (or more precisely ten twelfths) of a Cleveland with somewhat less heavy AA/secondary firepower, but she's actually starting to grow on me. Some ships are objectively good but I suck with them; others are objectively middling or worse, but I enjoy playing them and the grind is somewhat prolonged but not unpleasant. I may use her for today's Indianapolis mission. She is currently my only HE-capable light cruiser at Tier 6, and that's not a bad reason to keep her around. Looking forward to a T6 operation so I can see how she stacks up, but I have enough doubloons that I could buy her a perma-camo if I wanted. I just need that last little push that I'm sure a few gameas will provide.

5) An appreciation of perma-camo and how it can accelerate a grind, salvaging decent (for me) XP yields from even the worst failures.

All in all, not a bad outcome from attempting a mission I feared I was almost certain to fail from the start. It's like dropping a bomb with a slim hope of killing Hitler, but it gets Raeder, Doenitz, Goering, Himmler and Goebbels instead. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,960 posts
12,457 battles

Mass made it really easy for me 

Spoiler

shot-18_07.02_04_45.11-0526.thumb.jpg.7b4623f9c0cd2f0f2caea9751f59ed02.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Like I said, all my playing efforts on both Saturday and Sunday were dedicated to trying to achieve it. I even had one game as bottom tier in the Farragut in which I sank two battleships, torped and could have finished a third (I know what my mistake was there) and even took a solo cap; alas, the Sunday Morning Server Shenanigans ate the result. Allowing time to have something resembling a life in between, I was trying up to literally the very last minute this morning (I got into a Lyon game with it active; I got out of the Lyon game to find that the mission had switched). I even tried a few games in the Edinburgh last night.

What did I get for this loss of my weekend? :cap_hmm:

1) Lots of practice in the Warspite; the XP I have on that ship is what I wish I had in my Iron Duke, but she's training my I.D. captain so there are some benefits there. Warspite is a fun ship, though she's going to be a fair bit less productive when I've finished grinding through all her boost missions.

2) The satisfaction of finishing the Farragut grind and moving up to the Mahan. I'll keep the Farragut; she's a useful tool to have around, even though I do now have a second T6 destroyer (Gallant) that I can use in Ranked if that's ever applicable again.

3) Finishing the Edinburgh grind, and THAT is something I thought I'd never say any time this year. However, Ranked Battles helped and premium camo certainly helped. Of course I'm 7 million short of the silver I need for the Neptune, having bought both the Dallas (whose upgraded fire control I unlocked in the 100 module grind) and the Mahan just this week. But the important thing is that Edin's my go-to ship for the permanent (Tier 8+) campaigns, and with her successor unlocked she will generate Free XP if I ever decide I need to convert it.

4) An appreciation of the Dallas. Sure, she's only five sixths (or more precisely ten twelfths) of a Cleveland with somewhat less heavy AA/secondary firepower, but she's actually starting to grow on me. Some ships are objectively good but I suck with them; others are objectively middling or worse, but I enjoy playing them and the grind is somewhat prolonged but not unpleasant. I may use her for today's Indianapolis mission. She is currently my only HE-capable light cruiser at Tier 6, and that's not a bad reason to keep her around. Looking forward to a T6 operation so I can see how she stacks up, but I have enough doubloons that I could buy her a perma-camo if I wanted. I just need that last little push that I'm sure a few gameas will provide.

5) An appreciation of perma-camo and how it can accelerate a grind, salvaging decent (for me) XP yields from even the worst failures.

All in all, not a bad outcome from attempting a mission I feared I was almost certain to fail from the start. It's like dropping a bomb with a slim hope of killing Hitler, but it gets Raeder, Doenitz, Goering, Himmler and Goebbels instead. :Smile_teethhappy:

Do you have the Alsace? If not get her, she is an OP monster and is great for racking up XP. I managed to complete that mission on the first battle of the day in her.

Members
416 posts
7,345 battles

I just skipped it and saved myself the headache of trying to complete it on a weekend. Especially a pre-holiday weekend and being summer vacation lol Plenty more missions left to complete it.

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,016 battles

Actually took me a few games to get it just because the teams I was on were pretty solid top to bottom, so there was a clump of people hitting 1500 and 1600 base xp.  I think ultimately I ended up getting it with the Mass or Zao, I can't remember which.

e: no, ended up getting it with a Moskva.  Killed a couple of DDs which was good for the base XP count.

Edited by Deviathan

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,371 posts
13,892 battles

I didn't even try for it. I have found that focusing on a mission is the sure path to failure. I simply played for the win and got a fire number of 1300+ matches but no 1750. I already have her and am really playing for the secondary rewards so even if I don't get the required number of missions I will be happy with what I have gotten along the way.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles
6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Do you have the Alsace? If not get her, she is an OP monster and is great for racking up XP. I managed to complete that mission on the first battle of the day in her.

I have literally JUST started the Lyon grind, so Alsace is a long way off yet! :Smile_teethhappy: (Travel abroad kept me from playing more than a handful of battles for the second half of the French missions, but I'd already got Bretagne and Normandie, and I reckon I was on a roll and would have drawn one or both of the other unlocks if I'd been able to keep going.)

1 minute ago, Valas1 said:

I just skipped it and saved myself the headache of trying to complete it on a weekend. Especially a pre-holiday weekend and being summer vacation lol Plenty more missions left to complete it.

I have a thread devoted to the Marathon, and in that thread I had specifically rated my chances of success in this mission at close to zero. I pressed on because every now and then the stars align, and I'd had a game in the OMAHA of all things that got me 1730 very recently. Plus it was a good excuse to grind the Farragut out. So while there was life there was hope, but it wasn't to be. Maybe next time I'll be good enough. Today and tomorrow's mission should be a far less difficult "ask", and if I can get that out of the way then I have enough achievements to finish out with the remaining "any number of battles" missions, which are practically giveaways. Perhaps that's why they put this task here, because anyone who had hitherto had a clean sweep and completed it is practically guaranteed a finish.

5 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

the teams I was on were pretty solid top to bottom, so there was a clump of people hitting 1500 and 1600 base xp. 

Yeah, caps do win points (sometimes a lot) but damage is still the main driver, and there's only so much of that to be milked out of the losing team.

3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I didn't even try for it. I have found that focusing on a mission is the sure path to failure.

I focused on finishing the Farragut grind and doing all the things which destroyers are supposed to do. If the stars aligned and I got lucky, I'd have been immensely pleased. But it was a good motivator to get that grind done and obtain the Mahan.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
15 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

You missed out.  Summer vacation a holiday means even a moron like me could do it without much trouble.  Lots of people rushing or hanging back broadside against BBs with better range.

I got 1760, 2100, and 2200 in 3 games on Saturday... of the 7 I played.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,789 battles

I gave up trying to get that mission done Friday when I got a game with 1710 base exp. But the first game Saturday has a riot destroyer game in a ship I can't talk about. That game netted me 2650 base exp. My rule is if you are hitting a wall and only getting frustrated than its time for a break. Take some time away from the game, do house chore, get some exercise or just stop playing for the day. Attack the problem with a fresh mindset. 

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles
1 minute ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

I just broke out Sims for the extra xp boost.

Rest assured, if I had her I would have used her, and for that very reason. I keep pushing on in case that next crate should drop an unlock mission, but so far nothing. Having said that, it would not surprise meat all if I got the Sims mission TODAY now that her particular gift is no longer useful to me in that respect. :cap_haloween: RNGesus is like that.

(And no, this is not a hint for some generous person to go out and buy me one, the way somebody did with the Atlanta. It was a touching gesture, much appreciated, and the kindness has since been repaid, but NO MORE PLEASE.)

2 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I got 1760, 2100, and 2200 in 3 games on Saturday... of the 7 I played.

Reckon you're the heartless bastard who stole my luck, then! :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles
1 minute ago, RedSeaBear said:

But the first game Saturday has a riot destroyer game in a ship I can't talk about.

Oooh, mysterious.

It can't be Cossack, because we know Cossack is openly in testing (explicitly so, now that she's no longer acting as a skin for Haida).

Oh God, it wasn't the Daring, was it? (Yeah I know, you could tell me but then you'd have to kill me.) 

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have literally JUST started the Lyon grind, so Alsace is a long way off yet! :Smile_teethhappy: (Travel abroad kept me from playing more than a handful of battles for the second half of the French missions, but I'd already got Bretagne and Normandie, and I reckon I was on a roll and would have drawn one or both of the other unlocks if I'd been able to keep going.)

How do you like the French Shotgun so far? I love the Lyon,you won't get many citadels on battleships but she is great for mining salt from all the dev strike cruiser drivers lol. If you are moving your captain up the line with each ship, keep him on the Alsace and with to get the Republique until you have enough elite XP to grind a 19 point captain for it. The Alsace easily out performs the Missouri in everything except generating credits. I made the mistake of moving my captain up to the Republique and have a 12 point captain on my Alsace now and she is still a monster.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

How do you like the French Shotgun so far?

She's fun and interesting. Also a little frustrating while I get the behaviour of the guns worked out, but that in itself represents a problem to solve and my curiosity drives me on. Because I'm having to try so hard in the Marathon (it really is at the upper level of my competence right now), she's not a ship I feel comfortable taking out if the mission(s) for that particular 2-3 day window are not complete. So she languishes for now. But if I can get today's mission done relatively early this evening, there may be some more time to play with her.

[BBP]
Members
341 posts
7,544 battles

I missed it by a hair a couple of times with > 1700 but < 1750.

I gave up on the mission and on my last game of the night last night got it in Chung Mu.  It was epicenter.  Got all 3 caps and had 3 kills taking out 2 BBs at close to full health.  Even after all that it was only like 1760.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She's fun and interesting. Also a little frustrating while I get the behaviour of the guns worked out, but that in itself represents a problem to solve and my curiosity drives me on. Because I'm having to try so hard in the Marathon (it really is at the upper level of my competence right now), she's not a ship I feel comfortable taking out if the mission(s) for that particular 2-3 day window are not complete. So she languishes for now. But if I can get today's mission done relatively early this evening, there may be some more time to play with her.

I loved her far more than the Colorado, she has decent speed, she won't win any beauty contests with the likes of the Nagato, Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau but it is hilarious when that DD gets too close to you and you blap him with shells that he can't avoid because of the shotgun effect.

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

I already own Indy, so I haven't been trying to complete the mission and have been working on other things. The American containers would be nice and I really need credits but found that it really isn't worth it to me to try. Maybe if they gave doubloons I would have actually cared. I found out that Kutuzov is a great credit earner in Cherry Blossom and concentrated there and cleared 20 million this weekend and did about 2/3 of the Cleveland grind

[PVE]
Members
3,835 posts
16,370 battles

For me, epic fail.  1700 to 1735 and a server crash with 4 kills, 9 torp hits and two caps.....then ---  disconnect switching servers....match gone.......  Walked away after that.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
939 posts
11,766 battles

Bad luck on not achieving this. It can be a hard goal but get in that damage farming in a Fiji or Edin and that should have got you over the line. 

You will probably get scores greater than that today in several games just to show you how RNG hated you :cap_viking: