You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
vonKaiser

USS Indianapolis, an in depth look at what you're grinding for.

16 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
2,902 posts
5,808 battles

So the Indianapolis came out awhile ago.  On release she was a terror due to the radar which wasn't seen often at that tier,  add in that she was released before the Pensacola had it's detection range buffed.  These features alone made her a pretty solid contender for being better then the Tier 7 in the tech tree.  But as time passed, Pensacola got buffed, The terror of Tier 7, Belfast was released with a more impressive consumable suite, and now the new light cruiser Helena has gotten everyone's attention.  So where does that leave our poor Indianapolis?  Well she still hits hard.  She can still utilize game mechanics to surprise people with her Radar.  But like most ships she just doesn't like being shot at.  I figured with the grinding mission to earn her, I'd take the time to go back and take a look at the Indianapolis for those who may not have played her yet

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[TBW]
Members
9,769 posts
16,555 battles

Question, why do you play from the gun view, instead of the zoomed out view? I only ask because when I first started playing, I didn't know there even was, a zoomed out view for about 600 or 700 battles. Now I run with the zoom out mod for better close to ship awareness and for the broader view of the battle. I also like the zoomed out view when watching videos, I don't know what others think on this but the full zoomed out mode makes a video more watchable for me. I can see more of what's going on.

I ground about 100K off of the Cleveland in Cherry Blossom on Saturday and Sunday. Consistent 6.5k XP per battle (Estimated Average, I kept no real Data), I tried to err on the low side in my estimation however. If you are looking to free XP the Kronshtadt and want easy mode past the Cleveland, the Operation is your Huckleberry.

Keep em coming VK.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,447 posts
19,859 battles

Nice video. I have her and she is not a bad ship. If you use her consumables wisely you get great results. Too bad those her have her only get the credit, not doubloon, equivalent when they earn her in the mission.

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

I know she is crap. 

But its T7 free Premium.

Somebody like it somebody not.

I'm glad WG give us this ship.

Edited by Gandariel

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,826 posts
11,232 battles
41 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Question, why do you play from the gun view, instead of the zoomed out view?

Can't speak for VK but I know I stick with that view from just over/on turret 2 because I can better judge things from that view. The only thing on occasion is friendly torps, however, I shouldn't have to be watching out for those in the fist place. But I can see just how close I am, see the rounds better as I try and angle, etc. Then again I'm kinda weird in that up until BF1 with planes (can't get it to look around in cockpit view), strictly play in "first person" mode in vehicles. Same applies to the other two games, always kept the zoom in more. Not sure why but actually struggle more when zoomed out.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles

You have to be super careful with this ship.  Not only is she squishy a.f., but she's a YOOGE Cruiser target.  She's got these wonderfully tall hull sides and tall superstructure area.  It's so large and inviting to shoot at that I have to wipe the drool from my face when I see an Indianapolis and my guns are about ready to fire AP.

Your preferred prey are other Cruisers.  Leverage the USN 203mm auto-bounce advantage, plant AP into other Cruisers for best results.  Indianapolis has too many problems but the guns themselves are good.

IMO, I wish WG would buff Indianapolis' concealment so that she can more easily apply her Radar.  That way she can be a real radar threat, especially against smoke camping ships without getting spotted from the moon.  Think of Cleveland's 9.1km concealment to her 9km radar range.  Currently Indianapolis has 10.8km detection with Full Stealth Build and 9.9km Radar.  It's just not enough to leverage the consumable easily.

[NDA]
Supertester
2,902 posts
5,808 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Question, why do you play from the gun view, instead of the zoomed out view? I only ask because when I first started playing, I didn't know there even was, a zoomed out view for about 600 or 700 battles. Now I run with the zoom out mod for better close to ship awareness and for the broader view of the battle. I also like the zoomed out view when watching videos, I don't know what others think on this but the full zoomed out mode makes a video more watchable for me. I can see more of what's going on.

1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Can't speak for VK but I know I stick with that view from just over/on turret 2 because I can better judge things from that view. The only thing on occasion is friendly torps, however, I shouldn't have to be watching out for those in the fist place. But I can see just how close I am, see the rounds better as I try and angle, etc. Then again I'm kinda weird in that up until BF1 with planes (can't get it to look around in cockpit view), strictly play in "first person" mode in vehicles. Same applies to the other two games, always kept the zoom in more. Not sure why but actually struggle more when zoomed out.

For me it's just what I'm used too.  Most games I play I'm always in the first person cockpit mode.  All my shooting?  Zoomed in and first person.  It's just what I'm comfortable with, helps me keep orientation on my ship and maneuvering better then the helicopter zoomed out view.  Double benefit?  Makes me feel like I'm on the bridge and actually commanding my ship :cap_yes: .  As far view of the battle?  Well to be honest I rely quite a bit on the mini-map for the situational awareness, between that telling me enemy location and priority target skill I can get a general feel of what's going on, who's looking at me etc. 

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
4 hours ago, vonKaiser said:

So the Indianapolis came out awhile ago.  On release she was a terror due to the radar which wasn't seen often at that tier,  add in that she was released before the Pensacola had it's detection range buffed.  These features alone made her a pretty solid contender for being better then the Tier 7 in the tech tree.  But as time passed, Pensacola got buffed, The terror of Tier 7, Belfast was released with a more impressive consumable suite, and now the new light cruiser Helena has gotten everyone's attention.  So where does that leave our poor Indianapolis?  Well she still hits hard.  She can still utilize game mechanics to surprise people with her Radar.  But like most ships she just doesn't like being shot at.  I figured with the grinding mission to earn her, I'd take the time to go back and take a look at the Indianapolis for those who may not have played her yet

Helena has gotten everyone's attention? Then why are there only 540 battles played in it? I expected her to be the ship everyone would flock to as soon as the line's released because there was quite a bit of hype over it. However, her lack of popularity is shocking.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

I already have it- got it the first time around.   The OP's assessment is fundamentally correct- it's a US heavy cruiser whose claims to fame were essentially nullified by changes to the game and additions of new ships.   Still the same ship, it's just the game has changed, lol.   Also, more people have figured out it has radar, can be citted as easily as any other cruiser, and are actually shooting at it a lot- which hurts, lol.

Thus I've ignored the mission- I rarely play in pvp anyhow.    In Pve, it functions like any other USN CA- absolutely deadly to anything that shows it broadside or ignores it in favor of something else,  or you get squished by very accurate fire from bot ships that have decided YOU are the priority target.   I do think it pairs better with the New Orleans than it did with Pensa, which plays very differently.

It likes to play the role of flanker, taking advantage of ships that are positioned to defend themselves from your allies over yonder, not against you.   Bots don't hide in smoke often, so I don't get to use the radar much...  But it's darn nice to have when the occasion arises!  (like when YOUR DD pops smoke that hides all the enemy ships...)   Also does pretty well when positioned to intercept incoming plane squadrons, AA specced, of course.   I have a tendency to spam AP with the USN 8"ers- which will do nasty damage to even well armored BB's if you shot at the right places.   I switch to HE, when they start angling, or when they're at long range.  The HE can also do great gobs of damage, but the ROF really doesn't support full on HE spamming.  (it IS funny, though, to blow up the torp tubes of those obnoxious torp chuckers- they hate that!)

Basically, if you have the knack for playing the USN heavies, this ship will feel right at home.   If you don't like them, or they clash with your chosen playstyle, you won't like this one, either.

Either way,  it'll definitely hone your gunnery skills- Indy rewards good gunnery.   (your survival depends on it)

[R-R-R]
Members
1,051 posts
9,908 battles

So I played this ship once every three days to do the mission recently.

And these games just remind me how much I hate this ship. This is definitely the only premium I regret spending money on.

I bought her because I thought I was doing decent with Pensacola and New Orleans and thought she would just be similar with the addition of radar. However, little did I know that her poor maneuverability, bad firing angle and large size made it absolutely impossible to avoid damage. 

Now compared with the down-tiered NO, this ship is just objectively so much worse in every aspect, except for radar. 9.9km radar is definitely useful but honestly it doesn't bring much enjoyment in playing this ship. 

Edited by Exciton8964

[THREE]
Members
2,301 posts
12,376 battles

Hey

Piece of garbage when compared to the other T7 heavies.  The guns are good but everything else is garbage; cannot take ANY damage, when spotted,  it's instantly deleted.  The only premium ships I have sold (twice), never again.  Not even disappointed not owning it any longer.  Too bad too, I wanted it for her history but hated playing it.  Even Pensacola when it was T7 had more HP and could live longer.

Pete

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,756 posts
22,123 battles
10 hours ago, Gandariel said:

I know she is crap. 

But its T7 free Premium.

Somebody like it somebody not.

I'm glad WG give us this ship.

It is nice to get a premium ship for free and that is the ONLY way you should get the Indianapolis. I got her in a bundle deal a long while back and she is crap. Like most of the USN CAs she has the tools to hunt destroyers but lacks the rate of fire to deal with them effectively. I actually don't do horrible in the Indy but I don't care for the way I have to use her to survive. It is boring. If you are actually thinking of spending money on the Indianapolis, DON'T. Free is good, using real money on it is like flushing your cash in the toilet.

I am doing the missions to get the crates, not for their contents, but for the oil. It doesn't matter to me if I finish the mission, not even sure I would notice an addition of 8 million credits.

Edited by Taylor3006

Beta Testers
84 posts
773 battles

The guns are quite nice. The flaws are easy to work around as long as you pretend you only have two turrets. If you set her up for rudder shift you can evasion tank and she can do island corners pretty good.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,406 posts
10,195 battles

USN cruisers aren't my play style. But free is free.