Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CriMiNaL__

Spotting damage

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,253
[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles

With all the bigger ships sitting back there would be no way for them to see without someone spotting for them.

So as a DD I sit and I spot for the team and allow the bigger ships to kill the reds, after the match you get 100k spotting damage (just a figure), how does this figure work for the person spotting in XP rewards. 

Does anyone have an actual breakdown percentage wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,382
[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,384 battles

Spotting damage gives no xp.

 

Edited by Lensar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
332
[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,733 battles

Think of it this way. If you got 150k spotting damage done, that's basically 3 cruisers worth of HP your team wiped off the enemy team.

Winning IS the reward.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,553
[SBS]
Members
5,198 posts
6 hours ago, Lensar said:

Spotting damage gives no xp.

I think it does give some XP.  There are a ton of people that want the XP improved, I'm not sure it needs to be adjusted.  Spotting XP is hard balance.  Sometimes you earn it by deliberately spotting.  Other times you can rack up a massive amount of spotting that is completely coincidental.     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles

I think you should get XP rewards for spotting damage, it is one of the most important aspects of the game and destroyers should be rewarded with both XP and credits for doing it.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Does anyone know whether spotting damage xp also varies by type of ship spotted?  In the same way that 20000 points of damage to destroyers is theoretically (other considerations being equal) worth a lot more than 20000 points of damage to battleships, spotting enemy destroyers so that your team can do 20000 points of damage is harder, riskier, and more valuable than spotting enemy battleships for the same 20K.  Whether or not spotting damage is adequate in general, is this accounted for?

Edited by Lillehuntrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[NPG]
Members
165 posts
3,263 battles

I'd just be happy if my team could hit what I spot. It's heart breaking to have a match where you are out there playing smart to keep alive and keep the stuff lit up when at the end you see they only hit for like 14k damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles

Granted I do not play DD's but as a battleship main, in my opinion DD's are the most important ships in the game in a NON CV game. In my experience as the destroyers go, so does the rest of the team. If the destroyer players on the team are really bad, you have almost no chance of winning. If you have really good destroyer player on your team it is almost impossible to lose. It is about time that the way XP and credit rewards are earned are modified so destroyer players are rewarded on a level commensurate with their value to a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
532
[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,811 battles
36 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think you should get XP rewards for spotting damage, it is one of the most important aspects of the game and destroyers should be rewarded with both XP and credits for doing it.

Agreed this is a no brainer...no eyes on targets no battles...pay the man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,989
[SIDE]
Members
3,942 posts
46 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think you should get XP rewards for spotting damage, it is one of the most important aspects of the game and destroyers should be rewarded with both XP and credits for doing it.

Absolutely. Been saying this for a while. If they are gonna be forced to be patient early in match and possibly miss out on damage then they should receive buffs to spotting damage xp. It’s the most fair way to fix issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
356
[NSEW]
Members
1,712 posts
10,359 battles

Anything to encourage Destroyers to scout, cap, etc to play their roles. I'm all for it.  Rewarding DDs for spotting is almost like breathing air, it's biology. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[R-F2]
Members
352 posts
8,923 battles

It's crazy, you get plenty of XP for causing that damage, damage that would not have been possible without the spotting, but the spotting isn't rewarded at all. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
23 minutes ago, C_D said:

Agreed this is a no brainer...no eyes on targets no battles...pay the man!

lol off topic but did you ever see the movie Rounders? When you said pay the man I had the mental image of Teddy KGB saying Pay that man his money.....ROFLMAO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
252 posts
3,396 battles

Lots of times, I'll try and get a DD on a flank, just to spot the enemy so my team can shoot them.  And most of those games where I do not do much on physical damage, but yet live, I'm on the bottom three for experience.

Ironically, if I did the same thing in WoT, I could be in the top three for experience.

Is it more of, in WoWs, you only get most of the xp from when you spot the target for the first time they are seen?  The end game results go into great lengths to show what your first spots are.  If that's the case, maybe spotting damage XP needs an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles

My eyes are your eyes whether I am Ryujo with my Dive Bomber Scouts or I am in Fubuki, Asashio, HSF Harekaze, Fletcher, Shimakaze. If you can make use of my eyes, my smoke wall, and my supporting tactics, we can make the battle much easier. Distracting fire helps you too despite what others may say. I don't shoot for no reason.

 

Support supports support in supporting support while support supports the supporting support. Everyone supports each other, everyone fights better, everyone wins easier.

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
776
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,131 posts
11,864 battles
6 hours ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Think of it this way. If you got 150k spotting damage done, that's basically 3 cruisers worth of HP your team wiped off the enemy team.

Winning IS the reward.

And some rewords are more rewarding than the other. Some just have to sacrifice their time and effort so other can comfortably farm the damage rewards. Let's be honest. The game is damage-centered, rooted from the original title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
532
[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,811 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

lol off topic but did you ever see the movie Rounders? When you said pay the man I had the mental image of Teddy KGB saying Pay that man his money.....ROFLMAO.

Hey don't splash the pot!

 

Check, check, check,,,he trapped me nyet! 

Edited by C_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
663 posts
5,969 battles

So lemme change the question a little bit.

Its very obvious we would all like spotting damage to be rewarded. That's good. The next question then is why isn't it? What reasons could WG have for not rewarding a valuable part of the game?

The answer is the economy. WGs business model is based on the idea that you can control how much players will be rewarded in any given game, and monetize based on that progression curve. Being a business, and having to pay people to run this game, that makes any change to the in game economy a HUGE change, more so than almost any other thing in this game.

So the real question: Given that WG likes their current model enough to want to keep it, what compromise would best fit with rewarding spotting damage with XP and credits, but keep the current curve unchanged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
37 minutes ago, C_D said:

Hey don't splash the pot!

 

Check, check, check,,,he trapped me nyet! 

ROFLMAO.................In my club, I will splash the pot whenever the (edit) I please.

Edited by Belthorian
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,425
[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,614 posts
4,602 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Granted I do not play DD's but as a battleship main, in my opinion DD's are the most important ships in the game in a NON CV game. In my experience as the destroyers go, so does the rest of the team. If the destroyer players on the team are really bad, you have almost no chance of winning. If you have really good destroyer player on your team it is almost impossible to lose. It is about time that the way XP and credit rewards are earned are modified so destroyer players are rewarded on a level commensurate with their value to a team.

I agree.  WG waves their hands about rewarding non-damage activities.  They give us spotting ribbons and spotting damage numbers, but I don't see any actual XP results.  There may be some, but the fact that they don't tell us what they are is rather suspicious in my thinking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,382
[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,384 battles
4 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I think it does give some XP.  There are a ton of people that want the XP improved, I'm not sure it needs to be adjusted. 

I had 134k in spotting damage and received a score of 643....on a win. Maybe it's bugged, but all my results suggest it provides zero rewards.

 

4 hours ago, Lillehuntrix said:

Does anyone know whether spotting damage xp also varies by type of ship spotted?  In the same way that 20000 points of damage to destroyers is theoretically (other considerations being equal) worth a lot more than 20000 points of damage to battleships, spotting enemy destroyers so that your team can do 20000 points of damage is harder, riskier, and more valuable than spotting enemy battleships for the same 20K. 

In the original design, yes. Not sure if they amended it over the past year during my Warships vacation. DDs got bonuses for capping and spotting. BBs got bonuses for potential damage. I think the whole thing is either bugged or they just changed it to give .01 of what it did originally.

In ranked Season 6,  people used to almost literally fight over getting a cap. 2 and some damage or 3 caps would almost guarantee you top spot. It needed to be adjusted, but like everything DD related (BB AP, concealment, torp detection, etc) WG went exponentially overboard.

40 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

Its very obvious we would all like spotting damage to be rewarded. That's good. The next question then is why isn't it? What reasons could WG have for not rewarding a valuable part of the game?

The answer is the economy. WGs business model is based on the idea that you can control how much players will be rewarded in any given game, and monetize based on that progression curve. Being a business, and having to pay people to run this game, that makes any change to the in game economy a HUGE change, more so than almost any other thing in this game.

Agreed, yet the solution is very simple. Give the spotting ship a share of the XP that is earned by the damaging ship. Doesn't have to be 50%, but it should at least be 10-25%.

One reason they may be hesitant to do this, other than their general disdain for DD players, is that it could make the game even more toxic, with BBs complaining about useless DDs leeching their XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
393
[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,946 battles
2 hours ago, Vangm94 said:

Support supports support in supporting support while support supports the supporting support.

the lyrical stanzas of a poet-warrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×