You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordOuranos

How in gods name do you play the bloody german low tier battleships

29 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
119 battles

I am genuinely curious how you are supposed to get in close with a german battleship so you aren't worthless (as long-ranged firing for a german battleship is worse than using a slingshot to kill a bear). I have tried going deeper into a fight to get some close range work, but my team always just runs away and leaves me to die. The rare moment they don't run away and leave me to solo the enemy team, I am targeted by torpedoes and immediately destroyed. The only other strategy I can think of is hide behind a mountain and do nothing while hoping my team is capable of not getting nuked within 5 minutes, which is honestly as fun as chopping wood in runescape. Is there some secret to playing these freaking things that I have yet to discover, or should I just move on to Japanese battleships so I can kill enemy ships many Km away? I am using the Kaiser, If that would change anything.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

You have to make a deal, but it isn't with god. Seriously though, don't rush in until you know you can. Think of yourself as more of a clean up guy.

Members
12 posts
119 battles

Is this consistent with most German battleships, or mainly only early game? Cleanup crew isn't that bad, but that does mean I need to rely on my team, and I would rather rely on a kleptomaniac to watch my great grandmothers jewelry than rely on my team to not eat it.

[QQ7]
Members
493 posts
3,797 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Up until tier 7 the German bb line is just suffering

Unless you get the Konig Albert. Shes a fun Tier 3 prem BB :)

[QQ7]
Members
493 posts
3,797 battles
Just now, LordOuranos said:

I suppose I should just play US ships instead. I hear they are a lot more reliable in fights overall

I wouldn't give up on the German BBs.

I have a Grober Kurfurst for KM. Just as I also have the Yamato and Montana.

The jap line i didnt like the most lol.

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles
10 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Konig is fantastic as well in my opinion. Bayern and Kaiser were for me the low points of the line so far.

Members
12 posts
119 battles

So how would I go about changing my playstyle to work with the german battleships? Like I said they seem fun but trying to get into close range seems like foolhardy suicide. Is it really just wait in the back until my team gets stuff done?

[HINON]
Members
12,851 posts

You have to master a skill known only to unicums and stat padders alike . . . kiting.

zoyozdx.jpg

Edited by RipNuN2

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
42 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Konig is fantastic as well in my opinion. Bayern and Kaiser were for me the low points of the line so far.

Bayern? Bad...?

What nonsense is this?

But then for whatever reason I seem to like ‘bad’ ships.

[REVY]
Members
6,456 posts
5,168 battles
2 hours ago, LordOuranos said:

I am genuinely curious how you are supposed to get in close with a german battleship so you aren't worthless (as long-ranged firing for a german battleship is worse than using a slingshot to kill a bear). I have tried going deeper into a fight to get some close range work, but my team always just runs away and leaves me to die. The rare moment they don't run away and leave me to solo the enemy team, I am targeted by torpedoes and immediately destroyed. The only other strategy I can think of is hide behind a mountain and do nothing while hoping my team is capable of not getting nuked within 5 minutes, which is honestly as fun as chopping wood in runescape. Is there some secret to playing these freaking things that I have yet to discover, or should I just move on to Japanese battleships so I can kill enemy ships many Km away? I am using the Kaiser, If that would change anything.

It seems the art of ambush is lost on you.  If it is not fun for you to lie in wait and crush your enemies at the right moment, then operating large that are optimized for close range ship may not be your cup of tea.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,298 posts
18,473 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Up until tier 10 the German bb line is just suffering, then it gets meh

Fixed that for ya!

Alpha Tester
1,368 posts
12,349 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Fixed that for ya!

Gneis, is a fairly strong ship in my opinion.

Bismarck is really good just like Tirpitz just hydro and no torps

FDG is hit or miss it really isn't steller but is by no means bad

GK is really fun in a meme build but isn't very competitive, still great for random games.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,298 posts
18,473 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

GK is really fun in a meme build but isn't very competitive, still great for random games.

Scharn is strong, Gnies is the original HE fire sponge, firing too slow. Biz, plus Tirp to a lesser degree, power creeped. FDG = MEH.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Actually, the tier 5 Konig is quite nice.

Members
12 posts
119 battles
17 minutes ago, Sventex said:

It seems the art of ambush is lost on you.  If it is not fun for you to lie in wait and crush your enemies at the right moment, then operating large that are optimized for close range ship may not be your cup of tea.

"Art" of the ambush? What is the art part is what I'm asking. People generally aren't so dense as to not notice me hiding behind an island or something. These battleships aren't exactly made of stealth. Tell me, how do you set up this art exactly?

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
11 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

The problem I have with the GK is that if you don't do a secondary build, there doesn't seem to be a great reason to use the GK.  Other tier 10 BBs are better at doing what a non-sec build GK can do.  The GK isn't bad by any stretch.  But other BBs are better mid to long range snipers.  The GK's real strength is its secondaries, but if you don't spec for them, they're not really all that great.  The GK is probably my least favorite tier 10 BB for this reason.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
2 minutes ago, LordOuranos said:

"Art" of the ambush? What is the art part is what I'm asking. People generally aren't so dense as to not notice me hiding behind an island or something. These battleships aren't exactly made of stealth. Tell me, how do you set up this art exactly?

It's not really so much about ambushing the enemy, as using terrain to mask your approach.  Oh, they may not see you coming and maybe you can truly ambush them.  But that's not really your actual goa.  The actual goal is to be protected from enemy fire long enough to get into shorter gun ranges where your wonky German guns will become more accurate.

Alpha Tester
1,368 posts
12,349 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem I have with the GK is that if you don't do a secondary build, there doesn't seem to be a great reason to use the GK.  Other tier 10 BBs are better at doing what a non-sec build GK can do.  The GK isn't bad by any stretch.  But other BBs are better mid to long range snipers.  The GK's real strength is its secondaries, but if you don't spec for them, they're not really all that great.  The GK is probably my least favorite tier 10 BB for this reason.

I like it because next to Montana it's the most tank tier 10 bb, And yes none sec builds feel a bit lackluster but using the 17inch guns gives you the heaviest broadside in the game and is loads of fun abusing it. Now yes the accuracy is bad but workable. It's still loads of fun for randoms but falls flat in competitive, mainly because it lacks long range accuracy.

[POP]
Members
1,566 posts
20,788 battles

Load AP and support near caps. Once the ships that actually win games (cruisers and DD's) are thinned out enough push cap and win game. In my opinion that's German BB play all the way through. Later on they even give you hydro to help you out. Most BB's work this way, the German line just gets tools and armor to make it nominally more efficient at it.

• Meh 1

Members
777 posts
62 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You have to make a deal, but it isn't with god. Seriously though, don't rush in until you know you can. Think of yourself as more of a clean up guy.

No you have to lead the charge and absorb insane amounts of incoming shells to keep your team alive. 

Charging doesn’t necessarily mean suiciding but also having a find understanding were and when a push is the right thing to do. Also - with turtleback over your citadel you can even abort a push if really necessary and left entirely alone. Mind that you don’t need a lemming train behind you - some few team members are usually enough if you can keep them alive using your armour (and DCP in a smart way).

If done right you are the shield and bring the decision with your push. 

• Meh 1

Alpha Tester
1,368 posts
12,349 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Scharn is strong, Gnies is the original HE fire sponge, firing too slow. Biz, plus Tirp to a lesser degree, power creeped. FDG = MEH.

Gneis may fire slow but she is very very fast, faster than scharn. She also boasts good secondaries and decent accuracy. She's really good at punishing same tier BBs and lower. She can also dunk cruisers when they least expect it. 

Bis/Tirp still play fine for me, I honesty don't feel any power creep.

FDG is.....yeah I'll give u that it is meh, I just really love the way she looks.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,764 posts
11,118 battles

Konig Albert > Kaiser - If you don't mind spending a few dollars you can have a ton of fun with this ship. https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/6819/

0239c206ff0949c78f5cb59dc8cc4f08.png

Strategic Map Positioning from the get go; always ALWAYS avoid open water in a German BB (of ANY Tier); utilize HE for any at range angled targets and only use AP for up close brawling or dead broadsiding targets. Work on captain's skills with a focus on a future Secondary build. ALWAYS be at a 20 degree angle either moving toward or away from hostiles; know your triangle (always ensure that you are maximizing your angle to multiple hostiles so you are never broadside outside of cover - makes for what would be a map triangle from you to other enemies)

And tag along within a group don't ever be out front; people will focus you because you are a damage pinata.

Members
12 posts
119 battles

After moving on and trying literally just the St. Louis... my god its like dying and going to heaven. Not having to sneak around islands and enjoy getting 1 shot by a destroyer, or trying to get into a range where the guns aren't trash while getting annihilated by their entire team (whether or not im angled perfectly), my god, its like the game became good. I dont understand how some of you manage to sneak around islands and get into range, but I seem to fight people who arent idiots and see me trying to get into secondary range and slaughter me before I get there. Im switching to US, whomever can make these horrific german battleships work, you are gods.