You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

First impressions of the Haida...

24 comments in this topic

Members
1,366 posts
16,663 battles

Mine is... Scrappy but unpretentious just like most Canadians I know.

So first time out in Random I sink a Gneisenau with 22K damage with a single torp and 21 HE hits, cripple a G.Spee with 2 torps and flood for 24K as well as land hits on several other red ships. I'll still have to get the hang of this running smoke screen she has but all in all this is going to be a fun DD to have in my fleet.

What other first impressions do we have out there??? :Smile_child:

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

Members
2,151 posts
14,355 battles
2 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Mine is... Scappy but unpretentious just like most Canadians I know.

So first time out in Random I sink a Gneisenau with 22K damage with a single torp and 21 HE hits, cripple a G.Spee with 2 torps and flood for 24K as well as land hits on several other red ships. I'll still have to get the hang of this running smoke screen she has but all in all this is going to be a fun DD to have in my fleet.

What other first impressions do we have out there??? :Smile_child:

My first game in haida resulted in me getting detonated with the first salvo that hit my ship. After which the ship got stuck in battle for three hours

Edited by JessieTheKitty
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,136 posts
5,656 battles

Excellent for DD hunting, decent at shooting cruisers, ok at hurting BBs.

I rushed a smoke cloud of 3 DDs and I killed one, helped on get killed, and beat the crap out of the other one.

[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
32 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

I'll still have to get the hang of this running smoke screen

I take it you don't have Perth or Huanghe.  First off if you are going in reverse without slowing some times, you will get spotted. Unlike the British smoke, the smoke will catch up to you, if you were going too fast when you hit the smoke screen. It also makes peeking out of your smoke screen easier, if no one is there to spot for you. The biggest downfall is that the smoke screen is rather small. I don't know if smoke screen expert is good, I have always used the 2 points elsewhere. Unless you use Elite Commander XP, it takes a while for common wealth captains to reach 19 points.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[--K--]
Members
6,623 posts
14,409 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I take it you don't have Perth or Huanghe.  First off if you are going in reverse without slowing some times, you will get spotted. Unlike the British smoke, the smoke will catch up to you, if you were going too fast when you hit the smoke screen. It also makes peeking out of your smoke screen easier, if no one is there to spot for you. The biggest downfall is that the smoke screen is rather small. I don't know if smoke screen expert is good, I have always used the 2 points elsewhere. Unless you use Elite Commander XP, it takes a while for common wealth captains to reach 19 points.

I find the downfall is that in a DD, I sometimes want to maintain complete stealth after dealing with a threat and would like to be able to turn the smoke screen off prematurely like we can with Def AA.

A smoke screen coming towards someone might be a little obvious if they are paying attention...

[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

I find the downfall is that in a DD, I sometimes want to maintain complete stealth after dealing with a threat and would like to be able to turn the smoke screen off prematurely like we can with Def AA.

A smoke screen coming towards someone might be a little obvious if they are paying attention...

That does make a lot of sense. You just have to tell the Boiler techs to quit throwing a cup of oil into the boiler every ten seconds.

• Cool 1

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

The battles I seen them in today looked good. With a skilled captain in the right hands it appears it would be a great DD.

There have been lots of them out and about today.

[NYARR]
[NYARR]
Members
1 post
3,748 battles

First game was great....second game was tier 9...radared and taken out after a fletcher. Top tier in third game....and went down after being focused by 2 lower levels (T6) DDs and was destroyed. It should be T6...kind of worthless.

Pushed the fact it was the first CA DD with my purchase of it....I'm dissappointed...it sucks at T7. wth wargaming....Stop making a WOT game.... If i wanted to play a bad wargaming game with outright bad vehicles...i'd play WoT...

Edited by Mr_Killywigglez
  • Funny 1

[WO0KY]
Members
4,103 posts
3,186 battles
27 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

That does make a lot of sense. You just have to tell the Boiler techs to quit throwing a cup of oil into the boiler every ten seconds.

Makes me think of a story from the Solomons. I think it was PT 106. They were in battle and getting shot up so they turned on the smoke, but it got stuck and wouldn't turn off. The skipper got angry and told them to shut it off, so in the midst of the gunfire an enterprising sailor took an axe and beat on the smoke generator till it came off the deck mounts and went over the side of the boat. 

Captain never noticed it was missing

[STURM]
Members
670 posts
5,487 battles

In my first game, I was bottom tier, with 3 Clevelands and a Demitri on the other team.

I killed the two enemy DDs, and a top tier BB, got two caps, and came in first on my team with almost 2000 base exp. (Finally got the indy mission done)

In my second game, I was top tier.

I died because I saw a smoke and did the creeping smoke into hydro range thing... and immediately got counter hydro'ed by the German DD that I hadn't noticed flex away from the cap they were winning on to the one I was on.

My Priority Target counter went up to 7.

All in all, I like her. She is definitely unforgiving, but her "danger close" style of play is right up my alley.

Hopefully, the fact that she demands so much map awareness will help me in that area.

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,606 battles

My first time out in Haida was glorious:

shot-18_07.01_20_56.32-0857.thumb.jpg.8156fa6b5cbf04054cc0e4172218196d.jpg

I don't usually survive battles.  This ship worked as described.  It is not easy, but it will perform.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
2,181 posts
4,627 battles

There are better tech tree DD's though all said and done that don't cost anything. This boat feels like it belongs in a lower tier.

• Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles

Don't really have a great feel for her yet, but I'm getting there. She's an excellent scout, and I believe I won all of my games in her yesterday, even the ones during the server issues. With that said finding that sweet spot for firing her guns has proven a little tough, and I'm not the best torpedo layer out there. Right now I'm really mixed in my results on her with damage. 

• Cool 1

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

My plebiness bought one,  I liked the story behind the ship which mainly sold me. Didnt think I'd do too well bc I'm not a dd mainliner but I did fairly well first round.

First game had two green Clevelands moving in my smoke with me and we wrecked the right flank. From what I can tell, it's got decent concealment , ok fish, and the guns are big, just low velocity until you're in close then they can hurt a bit 

I like it so far. 

[ARGSY]
Members
18,276 posts
12,699 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Unless you use Elite Commander XP, it takes a while for common wealth captains to reach 19 points.

It ought to take a significantly shorter while now that there are three ships to rotate a chosen commander through instead of two, and Haida at Tier VII should yield better XP for a given result than a Vampire. How much better she is, all else being equal, than the Perth I could not say.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
710 posts

My God, she's a fun little ship....she handles more like a CL than a DD (Tribals were communally referred to as "Pocket Cruisers"), and being a CL "main", I sail her as one....works just fine

my one complaint is the guns seem a little 'floaty'

[SIDE]
Members
3,990 posts

Just saw one in game a little bit ago. Team was doing well and the enemy flank we were pushing melted. I was in galant and was running with a Simms, a shira and a Cleveland in non div. the Haida was spotted and then disappeared in smoke. Having read lwm review I knew to avoid Haida and let cruisers deal with her. I chatted to other dd to avoid Haida. They had other ideas and closed in for the kill. Prob didn’t know Haida has hydro. Both were deleted in couple salvos in a few seconds. They each had about 3/4 health. 

Tldr: Haida is a dd wrecking murder machine at short range

• Cool 2

[BAND]
Beta Testers
35 posts
14,082 battles

this ship is Utter Sh!t it only works if you are upteired other then that its a complete fail! Iv had success in it but far to little at this point id take any other DD over it! waste of money

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Members
4,415 posts
17,974 battles

I've only been in 5 Randoms with her so far and I've done pretty good with her. In my first match I was bottom tiered but nailed a Monarch with torpedoes and a Mahan with a torpedo and guns. Capped two points, did a lot of spotting, and ranked number one on the team. I only did poorly with Haida in one battle, and that's because I got deleted early in the fight.

Overall, I like Haida. She's a much better bote than I was expecting. :cap_like: My only dislike is the smoke. I'd prefer real DD smoke for this ship.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Beta Testers
710 posts
3 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Just saw one in game a little bit ago. Team was doing well and the enemy flank we were pushing melted. I was in galant and was running with a Simms, a shira and a Cleveland in non div. the Haida was spotted and then disappeared in smoke. Having read lwm review I knew to avoid Haida and let cruisers deal with her. I chatted to other dd to avoid Haida. They had other ideas and closed in for the kill. Prob didn’t know Haida has hydro. Both were deleted in couple salvos in a few seconds. They each had about 3/4 health. 

Tldr: Haida is a dd wrecking murder machine at short range

^^^ Yup, caught a DD while I was in smoke, and blew it apart with 1 salvo, @ about 5.5k...it had slightly more than 3/4 health

Not sure who was more surprized, him or me

[SIDE]
Members
3,990 posts
Just now, ArcherDude said:

^^^ Yup, caught a DD while I was in smoke, and blew it apart with 1 salvo, @ about 5.5k...it had slightly more than 3/4 health

Not sure who was more surprized, him or me

LWM said a couple times it was extremely deadly close in. A cap bully bar none. Pretty high praise. I knew to stay away. I still couldn’t believe how fast those 2 DD melted. I don’t even think they had time to try to turn away. It was salvo 1, salvo 2, delete, salvo 1, salvo 2, delete again. Took mere seconds. None of the usual shoot for 300, shoot for 750, shoot for 1500, shoot for 900, on and on. I was shocked.