You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Just got hooked up to fiber optic

19 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles

Now, that I have a fast connection, I realizing that it's my older HP laptop (external keyboard, mouse and 25 monitor) that is slowing me down in gameplay.  I'm thinking this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLJ87G?th=1

What do you guys think about my choice?  The computer has to do everything, not just play WOWs

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,679 posts
4,602 battles

D'Oh!  You need a REAL computer. 

(I almost moved to Austin to get fiber.  Didn't.)

Members
433 posts
18 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Now, that I have a fast connection, I realizing that it's my older HP laptop (external keyboard, mouse and 25 monitor) that is slowing me down in gameplay.  I'm thinking this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-8250U-GeForce-E5-576G-5762/dp/B075FLJ87G?th=1

What do you guys think about my choice?  The computer has to do everything, not just play WOWs

op, this is taken from passmark, a site that allows people to record how fast their computer and hardware  is, and compare it to others. here we see a standard laptop 970M graphics card, versus its 4gb desktop version. if this doesn't encourage you to get a desktop computer, nothing will, i guess..

5b39796b63bc7_desktop970vslaptop970.thumb.png.1b4d6a178364502f8064061f6662d66f.png

Strongly suggest you go desktop. if you really need a laptop, you're going to hamstring your gaming performance, bar none.

edit: and this is just graphics. your fiber connection will need you to have an insanely fast ethernet connection, and assume that your isp actually has the infrastructure to give you the advertised upload/download speeds.

Edited by SinisterSe7en

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
271 posts
6,947 battles
20 minutes ago, AMajor said:

The important thing is, it has a SSD. With my old laptop, I noticed it was the HDD that was slowing the game down for me.

You should definitely see an improvement in game performance with this computer.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

You can build your own desk top that will do everything you need for about $1500. Go to your nearest electronics store, Not Best Buy.

[TDRB]
Members
4,455 posts
12,611 battles

This laptop has Gforce MX 150. Nvidia has two versions of the MX150. One version runs at a slower clock speed to save battery life. This version will not perform as well.

https://www.techradar.com/news/slower-nvidia-geforce-mx150-gpu-reportedly-found-in-some-laptops

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,373 posts
13,893 battles
26 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Dude get a desktop lol.

This, For not a lot more than that laptop you can build a current series i5 with a decent GPU.

13 minutes ago, Haifischkoeder said:

The important thing is, it has a SSD. With my old laptop, I noticed it was the HDD that was slowing the game down for me.

You should definitely see an improvement in game performance with this computer.

This again, an SSD makes a huge difference in performance and they are not very expensive any more with 250 GB's under $100 and 500GB's around that price.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Monitor $100-$150

Mobo $100-$150

Ram $100-$200

PSU $50-$100

Processor $150-$300

SSD $100-$200

GPU $200-$300. (GPUs will be 20% cheaper starting this month)

OR

Buy used off of craigslist/ebay.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,399 posts

My next computer will likely be a NUC or a SFF machine... This is a great video on the subject; he also has other builds that are less expensive. 

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
43 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You can build your own desk top that will do everything you need for about $1500. Go to your nearest electronics store, Not Best Buy.

I built mine for 700

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
47 minutes ago, SinisterSe7en said:

Strongly suggest you go desktop.

I would if I could.  My problem is that my computer needs to travel with me so I need the best laptop that I can buy for under $1,000

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
37 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

This laptop has Gforce MX 150. Nvidia has two versions of the MX150. One version runs at a slower clock speed to save battery life. This version will not perform as well.

https://www.techradar.com/news/slower-nvidia-geforce-mx150-gpu-reportedly-found-in-some-laptops

So, what would you suggest as an alternative?

Members
2,255 posts
[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
4 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

This will work for you.

From personal experience or just on spec?

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
8 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I would if I could.  My problem is that my computer needs to travel with me so I need the best laptop that I can buy for under $1,000

Have a look at these, I use a laptop for the same reason.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

Members
2,255 posts
1 minute ago, AMajor said:

From personal experience or just on spec?

I build computers. That combo will be best bang for buck and give you performance to play games well.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,399 posts
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Evaluate your need  for a Windows based laptop, as I would highly recommend a Chromebook... I have an Asus w/i5 that went for about 450. It's pretty awesome for mobile use. 

These days, between Google and MS's online (free too) software, it's easier than ever before to walk away from a Windows laptop.