You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

What's the best BB branch?

84 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
118 posts
3,295 battles

I currently have been playing the tier 6 US battleship New Mexico, but the two things I don't really like about the US BB line is that I find the shell dispersion way too high and they are way too slow. What do you think is the best BB branch?

Someone recommended the German branch. I'm looking for a quick ship (as far as BBs go) and one that can pack a punch. Not so worried about being able to take a beating. It would be a good feature to have, but I doubt that there is a branch of BBs with excellence in everything.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

quick and pack a punch?french line

the US ships start to hit hard at tier7 with colorado

the german ships are goot for beginners,they have turtleback armor,that means,they rarely get citadel'd.

UK ships are...a broken mess with the HE shells,nothing exactly cool about them.

from what i could see(i don't have the french bbs yet)the french BB line is pretty balanced they are not excellent at everything but they are very technical too,their armor can take ap shells if angled(not all ships of course,just like any line) but they are weak to HE spam,more than other lines.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
6,452 posts
5,168 battles
3 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I currently have been playing the tier 6 US battleship New Mexico, but the two things I don't really like about the US BB line is that I find the shell dispersion way too high and they are way too slow. What do you think is the best BB branch?

Someone recommended the German branch. I'm looking for a quick ship (as far as BBs go) and one that can pack a punch. Not so worried about being able to take a beating. It would be a good feature to have, but I doubt that there is a branch of BBs with excellence in everything.

If speed and firepower are what you're looking for, it's the French and Japanese lines you want.

The Japanese trade armor for speed and the heaviest guns.

The French trade gun caliber for more guns and they are blessed with the speed boost.

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

The French BB's are the most mobile, if your looking for speed. The Tier 9 Alsace is very good...

The U.S. BB's get much better speed, mobility and firepower at tier 8 with the North Carolina. The German BB's are quite good as well, a lot more forgiving I think then the other lines. Can only base it off playing the Tirpitz though as I haven't gone down the whole line.

• Cool 1

[F-N-S]
Members
118 posts
3,295 battles

Lots of recommendations for the French branch. I've literally only researched the US branch (with the exception of the Japanese destroyers), but I'll certainly have to check out the French line. I've never played the French line at all.

[F-N-S]
Members
118 posts
3,295 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

quick and pack a punch?french line

the US ships start to hit hard at tier7 with colorado

the german ships are goot for beginners,they have turtleback armor,that means,they rarely get citadel'd.

UK ships are...a broken mess with the HE shells,nothing exactly cool about them.

Is the dispersion improved in the tier 7 US Colorado? That's probably my biggest issue with the US line thus far. It makes it hard to hit a ship with a salvo.

[REVY]
Members
6,452 posts
5,168 battles
7 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

The U.S. BB's get much better speed, mobility and firepower at tier 8 with the North Carolina.

They only get better compared with themselves.  They still have the slowest tier 8 Battleships in the game (and thus the slowest ships of all of tier 8)

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
3 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

Is the dispersion improved in the tier 7 US Colorado? That's probably my biggest issue with the US line thus far. It makes it hard to hit a ship with a salvo.

the dispersin and sigma of colorado,together with the gun caliber is perhaps the only selling point of the ship.

she is super slow,not exactly great armor and the repair party won't save you if you get overwhelmed,she can't escape a fight.

NC only weakness would be the slow shell velocity but she packs a big punch,her citadel is a weakness just like any other non german ship,her bow armor is excellent,only yamato and musashi can pen it and maybe republique i think.her AA is the best of the tier8 US prem BB ships,might become second place because jean bart is coming.

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles
12 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I would not recommend the German line if you have a problem with NM dispersion.  Speed, punch and durability with some fancy footwork seems to be where you're at.  The US line from NC on.  Colorado is good too but that's a different discussion; you'd have to get past that.  The RN line is too gimmicky IMO with the HE emphasis and the super heal crutch, the German line suffers rather badly from dispersion until GK, if you already have a problem with NM.  The IJN line would be a close 2nd, actually just about a tie, with the USN.  Question there is do you want Yamato or Montana ultimately, and it sounds like you want Montana.  The French line isn't bad either but you want the guns and the speed so US is my ultimate recommendation.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
3 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

I would not recommend the German line if you have a problem with NM dispersion.  Speed, punch and durability with some fancy footwork seems to be where you're at.  The US line from NC on.  Colorado is good too but that's a different discussion; you'd have to get past that.  The RN line is too gimmicky IMO with the HE emphasis and the super heal crutch, the German line suffers rather badly from dispersion until GK, if you already have a problem with NM.  The IJN line would be a close 2nd, actually just about a tie, with the USN.  Question there is do you want Yamato or Montana ultimately, and it sounds like you want Montana.  The French line isn't bad either but you want the guns and the speed so US is my ultimate recommendation.

us?speed?

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
4 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

yeah...?

i don't remember that new US BB line made of iowas from tier3 to tier10.can you show me?

with the exception of iowa,they are not exactly FAST,i think they never where fast.

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

If you're already at the NM, stick with it until at least the NC. Great concealment, and the US AP hits hard. As others have said, if you don't like bad dispersion, the German line is worse. I'm a sub 500 player but have 60%+ winrates on the Colorado and NC. Colorado is slow, but very maneuverable. 

I quit the RN line at the QE. It's kind of boring. Part of the fun of being a BB are citadels and dev strikes. RN is largely HE, because the AP is weak relative to other lines, so you don't get those satisfying deletions. 

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

i don't remember that new US BB line made of iowas from tier3 to tier10.can you show me?

You either didn't read the OP post or suffered from reading comprehension issues.  Are you drunk?

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
1 minute ago, BullHalsey said:

You either didn't read the OP post or suffered from reading comprehension issues.  Are you drunk?

OP asked for a line that possess speed and firepower.

US line don't have speed,they might have firepower at later tiers.

the french line have both.

Edited by Cruxdei

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

If you're already at the NM, stick with it until at least the NC. Great concealment, and the US AP hits hard. As others have said, if you don't like bad dispersion, the German line is worse. I'm a sub 500 player but have 60%+ winrates on the Colorado and NC. Colorado is slow, but very maneuverable. 

I quit the RN line at the QE. It's kind of boring. Part of the fun of being a BB are citadels and dev strikes. RN is largely HE, because the AP is weak relative to other lines, so you don't get those satisfying deletions. 

You were smarter than I.  Went all the way to Conqueror and sold it.  Only RN BBs I kept were QE and Orion.

[HOTH]
Members
456 posts
7,534 battles

American BBs at high tier are fairly accurate and fast. Shell speeds are sloooooooooow

German BBs are very tanky good secondaries but their guns are suspect

French BBs are probably the squishest BBs but they're the fastest with great muzzle velocity. The republique is amazing, my favorite ship alongside the zao.

IJN BBs are generally sniper aligned especially once you hit the Izumo and the Yammy. The Kongo/Amagi can be played like a fast really big cruiser to great effect.

British BBs Don't

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

OP asked for a line that possess speed and firepower.

US line don't have speed,they might have firepower at later tiers.

the french line have both.

If you want to recommend he start over with the French line just do it; no need to tell me NC through Montana are slow.  Guy's already at the NM.

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles
5 minutes ago, KommandantPerry said:

American BBs at high tier are fairly accurate and fast. Shell speeds are sloooooooooow

German BBs are very tanky good secondaries but their guns are suspect

French BBs are probably the squishest BBs but they're the fastest with great muzzle velocity. The republique is amazing, my favorite ship alongside the zao.

IJN BBs are generally sniper aligned especially once you hit the Izumo and the Yammy. The Kongo/Amagi can be played like a fast really big cruiser to great effect.

British BBs Don't

Yeah I'm at Alsace, thinking I should like Republique from what I've seen of it in battle.  Only T10 BB I haven't had.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles

All the Battleship Lines are very good, IMO but things get easier, harder for some of them at different times.  The Germans peak early but at high tier, IJN & USN start pulling ahead.

German Battleships - IMO, this is the line where the kid peaks early.  In general, as you go up the line, with the exception of Gneisenau at Tier VII, you feel very strong.  When you are rolling in Bismarck at Tier VIII and smashing piddly Tier VI ships, this is as good as it gets.  You got great turtleback armor, great speed, great secondaries that only 1 BB line could match.  It's a very, very forgiving line.  However, once you start diving into more and more battles in Tier VIII-X, the suspect reliability of the German BB guns starts becoming a very thorny issue.  GK at Tier X is a fabulous BB there, don't get me wrong, but IMO, GK players have to work excessively hard compared to the other X BBs.

French Battleships - This is a line that kind of builds up slowly.  A bunch of guys like VI Normandie.  Then Lyon at Tier VII takes off and it's a good race.  From Tier VI-IX you will be really liking the progression.  The French BB Line IMO is a brawler line like the Germans.  Both favor speed and eventually develop good secondary builds.  Where the 2 lines differ is that the Germans have less reliable main battery in favor of tough turtlebacks, while the French don't have "Ze German turtlebacks" in favor of more useful guns across more engagement ranges.  Honestly, if you were playing a lot of French or German BBs and decide to try out the other, you should adapt very quickly to the style between the two.  Republique however at Tier X is a very odd duck due to her main battery.  She's good IMO, but her setup is not traditional, and BB players like their traditional BB setups.

Japanese Battleships - A very solid BB Line, ever since the game launched.  Lots of good BBs here once you're past IV Myogi.  This line prizes one thing:  Reliable guns.  You got range, the best dispersion of any BB Line as a whole.  A number of BBs with the highest Sigma ratings are Japanese.  You aren't stuck with piddly 380mm or whatever gimmick gun sizes.  From Tier VII-IX you are sporting good, reliable IJN 410mm guns.  At Tier X you got Yamato with her 460mm guns.  Fat armor, citadel protection isn't a key characteristic of the line, ranged performance is.  You got VI Fuso "Shotgun" to bag hits no matter what, you got VII Nagato's precision, and you got the balance of accuracy and volume of fire with Amagi at Tier VIII.  Izumo at IX has lots of problems but her gun performance aren't one of them.  This BB Line IMO starts you off good and treats you well, except at IX Izumo.  As long as you angle and mind your citadel, you'll be fine.  Of significant note, is that the IJN BB proficiency at range makes them VERY viable BB choices at High Tier.  Where the Germans start struggling with the Long Range Meta of High Tier, the Japanese are chugging along just fine.

Royal Navy Battleships - I think of RN BBs as "Greatly oversized, more heavily armored, slower firing, bigger gunned Heavy Cruisers."  This line doesn't go for Big AP Salvos of Doom like the other BB Lines.  They succeed due to stealth and wearing opponents down over time with HE & Fires.  Just like Cruisers, RN BBs aren't quite good for going up to someone's face and trade blows.  What they are good for is steady damage output, controlling their engagements with stealth and speed.  Just like Cruisers.  The sneakiest BB Line, stealthier than even USN BBs.  This is a very solid line, you have monsters starting at Tier IV Orion, V Iron Duke, and they remain good ships all the way into and culminating everyone's favorite Hellfire Demon... Conqueror.  Their reliance on medium and long range makes this line very suitable for all the tiers.  Their ranged performance puts them at home in the Long Range High Tier Meta.  So you want to trade shots with Conqueror above 15km?  Conq is more than happy to play that game.

American Battleships - This is a late blooming ship line.  Early and mid tiers, there's not too much going for them.  Wyoming at IV has tons of guns but can't hit an island if it was 0.5km on front of it.  New York at Tier V is everyone's favorite target drone.  New Mexico at VI is quite a respectable BB but matchmaking and power creep have been very unkind to her.  Colorado at VII is... Well, Colorado.  At least you newer players weren't around for her "LOLORADO" or "FAILorado" days.  That was bad.  But the line starts getting better.  Colorado at VII has problems but her guns aren't part of them.  Say what you will about how easy it is to pen her, how slow she is, but her guns are respectable.  But from Tier VIII, the line gets spectacular.  North Carolina is like dark clouds parting ways for sunshine to beam brightly upon your troubled soul.  You finally leave the nastiness of 21kts, and from here on, USN BBs go from 27kts to 33kts.  Your guns from Tier VIII-X are among the best BB guns in the game, only IJN 460 can lay claim to being better.  USN BBs can aptly tank.  More importantly, a while back, the citadels for Tier IX-X USN BBs were lowered.  Before that change, we used to hit Iowa, Missouri, Montana for 3, 4, 5, 6, even 7 citadel hits in one salvo.  Things like this were happening to Tier IX-X USN BBs regularly before the change.

Spoiler

FiR8bbV.jpg

HL8mYmB.jpg

Look at that tall citadel :Smile_teethhappy:  At least the skyscraper citadels are gone.

b0dkiTl.jpg

Thankfully, none of that happens anymore to USN BBs.  The line starts off very slow and mediocre, but it gets very good and reliable at High Tier.  But the price is high... You have to play 5 prior tiers of mediocre or bad ships before getting into a good ship in this line.

Again, all the BB Lines are great but for different reasons.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[HOTH]
Members
456 posts
7,534 battles
Just now, BullHalsey said:

Yeah I'm at Alsace, thinking I should like Republique from what I've seen of it in battle.  Only T10 BB I haven't had.

The republique is great. Pretty accurate, i'm averaging 120k per game in her. Solid ship, just you need to let the game develop a bit before you push. concentrated HE spam will ruin you, i dont really have issues with citadel's either. Just chill a bit at the start, if you see an opening especially one that lets you flank the enemy you can just devastate their team.

Biggest enemies are definitely HE cruisers behind islands followed by DDs. I personally dont see the need for the dispersion mod so i run the secondary one to make my secondaries reach 10 KM. helps deter DDs

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
4 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

If you want to recommend he start over with the French line just do it; no need to tell me NC through Montana are slow.  Guy's already at the NM.

tier3 to tier10 you mean,except iowa.

OP didn't say anything about not wanting to start a new line,BB line is perhaps the easiest line to grind,so it's no big deal.

4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

American Battleships - This is a late blooming ship line.  Early and mid tiers, there's not too much going for them.  Wyoming at IV has tons of guns but can't hit an island if it was 0.5km on front of it.  New York at Tier V is everyone's favorite target drone.  New Mexico at VI is quite a respectable BB but matchmaking and power creep have been very unkind to her.  Colorado at VII is... Well, Colorado.  At least you newer players weren't around for her "LOLORADO" or "FAILorado" days.  That was bad.  But the line starts getting better.  Colorado at VII has problems but her guns aren't part of them.  Say what you will about how easy it is to pen her, how slow she is, but her guns are respectable.  But from Tier VIII, the line gets spectacular.  North Carolina is like dark clouds parting ways for sunshine to beam brightly upon your troubled soul.  You finally leave the nastiness of 21kts, and from here on, USN BBs go from 27kts to 33kts.  Your guns from Tier VIII-X are among the best BB guns in the game, only IJN 460 can lay claim to being better.  USN BBs can aptly tank.  More importantly, a while back, the citadels for Tier IX-X USN BBs were lowered.  Before that change, we used to hit Iowa, Missouri, Montana for 3, 4, 5, 6, even 7 citadel hits in one salvo.  Things like this were happening to Tier IX-X USN BBs regularly before the change.

Again, all the BB Lines are great but for different reasons.

the NC muzzle velocity might  turn off  OP,she is a great ship,it just took some time for me to understand the NC and her cousins(?) ships,south dakota.

[STURM]
Members
667 posts
5,453 battles
49 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

The German line is good, but not in the way you are looking for. They have decent speed, but they have great armor at the cost of inaccurate and smaller than average guns.

The French line from tier 6 up, by contrast, sounds like what you want. They are fast, and the guns might be small like the German BBs, but they have lots of penetration and a ridiculous amount of them most of the time.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

the NC muzzle velocity might  turn off  OP,she is a great ship,it just took some time for me to understand the NC and her cousins(?) ships,south dakota.

As long as the player does not commit the common, newbie mistake of trying to snipe, it'll be fine.  But yes, the float to the shells takes some getting used to.  I immediately fell in love with NC's powerful, reliable shells and good grouping compared to prior USN BB tiers.  The range is cool, but I was happy to no longer see my shells fly out in a "V" pattern when they leave the gun barrels :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1