Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldSaltyOne

Bill Halsey and John Doe

23 comments in this topic

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

So with the Bill Halsey Hit Em Hard campaign going on.  I'm almost finished with stage four yippy another two super containers.  Right now at this moment I have John Doe sitting in my Missouri.  Special Captain for a premium ship.  Of course Bill Halsey when I get him will be another specialty captain.  I was actually considering throwing Bill Halsey in Missouri since seeing the Missouri is now a specialty ship.  Meaning you cant get it anymore.  So with that being said.  Should I move John Doe to my Alabama or Arizona?  I'm not sure which one would be better.  Beside the fact that they are both premium ships.  I could also move him into my Atlanta or Indianapolis.  But not sure exactly where I should put him.  Below are his skill points where do you think I should put him?

shot-18.07.01_17.06.08-0503.jpg

Edited by torpsRus

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

Get Massachusetts.  I’ve got John Doe in her right now.   I’ve got a lot of now-useless 19 point US BB captains sitting around because only Massachusetts is worth playing.   When Inunlock Halsey, he will be replacing John Doe... not that it will make much of a difference, but whatever.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

I put Doe in my Des Moines. 1 Second ammo change is really nice...

Personally I'd re-spec him and put him in a cruiser. Either BB will probably be fine, Alabama is a pretty strong ship with any commander in it.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
8 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Get Massachusetts.  I’ve got John Doe in her right now.   I’ve got a lot of now-useless 19 point US BB captains sitting around because only Massachusetts is worth playing.   When Inunlock Halsey, he will be replacing John Doe... not that it will make much of a difference, but whatever.

Nope not buyin that ship lol.  I actually spent my money on a real life useful tool.  A nice little welding machine.  So I wont be buying any ships.

Edited by torpsRus
  • Cool 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
960 posts
8,976 battles

I used the free respec to put my 19pt John Doe on my shiny new Buffalo; this ship can actually make use of the expert loader option. As for Halsey...hmm only on the second phase so i haven't thought about it yet :D

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
2 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

I used the free respec to put my 19pt John Doe on my shiny new Buffalo; this ship can actually make use of the expert loader option. As for Halsey...hmm only on the second phase so i haven't thought about it yet :D

If I throw him in a regular tech tree ship then I have to retrain lol I don't wanna retrain so that only leaves the options of Alabama, Arizona Texas Atlanta or Indianapolis lol.  Just not sure which one to throw him in.

[STURM]
Members
677 posts
5,498 battles
40 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

If I throw him in a regular tech tree ship then I have to retrain lol I don't wanna retrain so that only leaves the options of Alabama, Arizona Texas Atlanta or Indianapolis lol.  Just not sure which one to throw him in.

You know, when a captain is retraining for a new tech tree ship, his skills still work fully on premium ships. And you don't need to retrain to move from premium to premium.

In any case, when I get Halsey, he's becoming my main battleship captain, and Doe is retraining into my Massachusetts/AA CL captain.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
960 posts
8,976 battles
54 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

I farm my 19pt captains any chance I get so I can switch captains whenever I want if I'm not willing/able to drop doubloons on it. Kind of a waste to have a captain just for a premium IMO. 

Edited by HeathenForay

[TAZ]
Members
666 posts

Halsey is in Des Moines, Doe is in Worcester

Edited by Nutaz

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
5 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

You know, when a captain is retraining for a new tech tree ship, his skills still work fully on premium ships. And you don't need to retrain to move from premium to premium.

In any case, when I get Halsey, he's becoming my main battleship captain, and Doe is retraining into my Massachusetts/AA CL captain.

Why would you put John or George Doe on MA or CL?

What they need the most is exactly not what the Doe brothers offer in the way of special skills; mainly EM is a wasted skill on either.

Bill, John and George are best for ships such as Des Moines, North Carolina, Albama, Iowa, Missouri, and Montana.

Edited by lemekillmister

[STURM]
Members
677 posts
5,498 battles
1 minute ago, lemekillmister said:

Why would John or George Doe on MA or CL?

Because his EL and EM perks are more useful on them then they are on american DDs. Those don't need faster turrets for sure.

As for why Mass and CLs together? Boosting the secondarys on Mass will boost the AA as well, and I always take hydro over DF on the heavies, at least for now.

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
6 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

Because his EL and EM perks are more useful on them then they are on american DDs. Those don't need faster turrets for sure.

As for why Mass and CLs together? Boosting the secondarys on Mass will boost the AA as well, and I always take hydro over DF on the heavies, at least for now.

What you said makes almost zero sense.  I said nothing about putting them on DDs, for starters.  AR is better then EM on a proper MA build.  Bill, George and John do nothing special to boost secondaries on MA or anything else. CL turrets already turn plenty fast.  Hydro?

Edited by lemekillmister

[STURM]
Members
677 posts
5,498 battles
7 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

What you said makes almost zero sense.  I said nothing about putting them on DDs, for starters.  AR is better then EM on a proper MA build.  Bill, George and John do nothing special to boost secondaries on MA or anything else. CL turrets already turn plenty fast.  Hydro?

Chill, dude.

I'm putting Doe on Mass and my CLs because his skills benifit them more than they do the DDs. And I know EL and EM dont boost secondries or AA, but that's for the other 16 points to do.

And my line about hydro was me saying the reason why I dont put Doe on the heavy line is because I don't AA spec captians on ships that have to choose between hydro and DF because I always choose hydro. At least on the Mass, the secondarys get boosted from AA skills as well.

I'm not looking for a fight, I'm just explaining why I'm doing what I'm doing.

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
14 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

Chill, dude.

I'm putting Doe on Mass and my CLs because his skills benifit them more than they do the DDs. And I know EL and EM dont boost secondries or AA, but that's for the other 16 points to do.

And my line about hydro was me saying the reason why I dont put Doe on the heavy line is because I don't AA spec captians on ships that have to choose between hydro and DF because I always choose hydro. At least on the Mass, the secondarys get boosted from AA skills as well.

I'm not looking for a fight, I'm just explaining why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Of course you'll do what you want with them; it just won't make much sense, other than you perhaps you don't have any of most of the ships they're best used for. BTW, AR helps main battery, secondary and AA ROF.

I don't know why you keep bringing up DDs. 

Enjoy.

Edited by lemekillmister

[STURM]
Members
677 posts
5,498 battles
8 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Of course you'll do what you want with them; it just won't make much sense, other than you perhaps you don't have any of most of the ships they're best used for. BTW, AR helps main battery, secondary and AA ROF.

I don't know why you keep bringing up DDs. 

Enjoy.

Unless AR and EM became mutually exclusive when I wasnt looking, I'm taking both.

And I bring up DDs because you asked why I would put Doe on Mass/CL, and with Halsey on the main BB line and me not being interested in the CA line at the moment, that leaves the CL line or the DD line. And, for the reasons I pointed out, Doe on the DDs is more wasteful than on the CL line.

In short, I was answering your question. 

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
4 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

Unless AR and EM became mutually exclusive when I wasnt looking, I'm taking both.

And I bring up DDs because you asked why I would put Doe on Mass/CL, and with Halsey on the main BB line and me not being interested in the CA line at the moment, that leaves the CL line or the DD line. And, for the reasons I pointed out, Doe on the DDs is more wasteful than on the CL line.

In short, I was answering your question. 

Okay, so then no CE for your MA build. Enjoy.

P.S. To be clear, you're only arguing with yourself about why or why not to use those captain for DDs. You are the first and only one who ever broached that subject in this entire thread, out of the blue.

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Cool 1

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
22,388 battles

Got a fully AA build John Doe on Montana which I can switch over to the MO and the Texas. Got Halsey on the Des Moines since those turrets could use some lube and because I think she deserves a special captain for how well she's been playing for me.

[RED]
Modder
190 posts
8,469 battles
50 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Got a fully AA build John Doe on Montana which I can switch over to the MO and the Texas. Got Halsey on the Des Moines since those turrets could use some lube and because I think she deserves a special captain for how well she's been playing for me.

You probably know this already, but it's worth mentioning just in case: a fully AA-specced captain is not an ideal choice for the Texas.  All you need to max out its AA is AFT(/BFT); MFC is wasted because it only boosts AA guns over 85 mm, and Texas' largest caliber AA is 76.2.

As far as the earlier discussion about the Massachusetts, using the Doe brothers is also a waste.  You want to take AR as your 2-point skill with the Mass, since the turrets without EM already turn faster than any other USN BB with EM.  Halsey's not a terrible choice, but if you use him on her then its just to take advantage of his Confederate and Double Strike perks, since again you shouldn't be using EM or EL on Massachusetts.

Edited by TheElusiveDenby

[STURM]
Members
677 posts
5,498 battles
1 hour ago, lemekillmister said:

P.S. To be clear, you're only arguing with yourself about why or why not to use those captain for DDs. You are the first and only one who ever broached that subject in this entire thread, out of the blue.

Ah, yes, what was I thinking, talking about what ships I was going to put my unique US captains on in a thread about what ships people are going to put their unique US captains on. 

Wait...

Also...

7 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

Why would you put John or George Doe on MA or CL?

What they need the most is exactly not what the Doe brothers offer in the way of special skills; mainly EM is a wasted skill on either.

Bill, John and George are best for ships such as Des Moines, North Carolina, Albama, Iowa, Missouri, and Montana.

Don't edit in clarifications six hours after the original post when you realize you were not clear in the first place, and then act like that was there all along, okay?

I still don't get how you are not seeing my point. Halsey is going to be my captain for my tech tree and premium US BBs, excluding Mass. I'm not interested in the heavy cruisers right now, so that leaves the light cruisers and destroyer line as places to put Doe. Since his skills are marginally more useful on CLs than DDs, he is going on my CL line. And since an AA build buffs secondaries as well, I will go for an AA build and use the Mass as an extra trainer. I only brought up DDs because I was trying to be clear about my reasoning, sorry if the extra information confused you.

So, unless you have a reason why I should have two identical 19 point captains for my Alabama, Missouri and Montana (when I get it) instead of having two lines with 19 point captains, stop pestering me.   

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
7 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

Ah, yes, what was I thinking, talking about what ships I was going to put my unique US captains on in a thread about what ships people are going to put their unique US captains on. 

Wait...

Also...

Don't edit in clarifications six hours after the original post when you realize you were not clear in the first place, and then act like that was there all along, okay?

I still don't get how you are not seeing my point. Halsey is going to be my captain for my tech tree and premium US BBs, excluding Mass. I'm not interested in the heavy cruisers right now, so that leaves the light cruisers and destroyer line as places to put Doe. Since his skills are marginally more useful on CLs than DDs, he is going on my CL line. And since an AA build buffs secondaries as well, I will go for an AA build and use the Mass as an extra trainer. I only brought up DDs because I was trying to be clear about my reasoning, sorry if the extra information confused you.

So, unless you have a reason why I should have two identical 19 point captains for my Alabama, Missouri and Montana (when I get it) instead of having two lines with 19 point captains, stop pestering me.   

I edited to sort out typing errors I notice belatedly for clarity. I did not change the message or the ideas within.  However, I'll edit as I see fit. Don't like it? Tough.

Your blather is no longer of any interest; ignored. Bye.

Edited by lemekillmister

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,016 battles

I've got Doe in the Buffalo and Halsey in the DM to take advantage of both of the commander perks they provide.  For a while I was planning to put Halsey in the Worcester, but it doesn't need EM and the reload is short enough that EL is up to personal taste so I scrapped that plan.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
Just now, Deviathan said:

I've got Doe in the Buffalo and Halsey in the DM to take advantage of both of the commander perks they provide.  For a while I was planning to put Halsey in the Worcester, but it doesn't need EM at all so I scrapped that plan.

That makes sense. 

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
22,388 battles
15 hours ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

You probably know this already, but it's worth mentioning just in case: a fully AA-specced captain is not an ideal choice for the Texas.  All you need to max out its AA is AFT(/BFT); MFC is wasted because it only boosts AA guns over 85 mm, and Texas' largest caliber AA is 76.2.

Yeah, I know- but it's my USN BBs are specced for AA, and Texas is my only USN Premium BB, so she gets what she gets.

Sign in to follow this