You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Is the Akizuki good/worth it?

37 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
446 posts
6,670 battles

I’m currently grinding towards it, I’m on the Shiratsuyu, and I’m worried that I might have wasted my time grinding to the Akizuki, I’ve heard that it actually isn’t good at all. Is it true? Is the Akizuki a good ship or not? Does it work in the current meta? Or does it’s speed make it useless with all the radars now? I was thinking of using my Yamamoto captain on it once I get it, should I even bother? 

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
Just now, bubbleboy264 said:

I’m currently grinding towards it, I’m on the Shiratsuyu, and I’m worried that I might have wasted my time grinding to the Akizuki, I’ve heard that it actually isn’t good at all. Is it true? Is the Akizuki a good ship or not? Does it work in the current meta? Or does it’s speed make it useless with all the radars now? I was thinking of using my Yamamoto captain on it once I get it, should I even bother? 

Lol the people that play akizuki without a captain are te ones that say its bad.

akizuki is the hands down best tier 8 DD.

>great detection

>great guns with long range.

>massive HP

>Speed,Smoke,TRB all in one.

captain build should be PM, LS, SI/Demo (your choice), SE, EM, AFT/CE (your choice i prefer AFT for 15km range.) and finally the MUST HAVE IFHE.

yamamoto is a great cap for her. In fact my yamamoto is in akizuki

• Confused 1

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles

If you are playing her for a torpedo boat this boat is NOT for you.

if you are looking for a gun boat and a half [edited]torpedo armament like haida and cossack play her!

[WOLF3]
Members
25,238 posts
22,261 battles

Akizuki is mean business.  The sad part, well, I guess depending on your POV, is that there's not too many of her being seen out there.

She bullies DDs and harasses ships with gunfire.  But it's the former where she's really nasty in.  The comedy act ramps up when she's top tier fighting Tier VI-VII Destroyers.  It's just silly watching 'Zuki rip DDs apart like that.  Like a cat playing with a mouse.

I personally love seeing 'Zukis on my team because I know they have one job in their lives... Looking for DDs to kill, and not be one of those DDs trying to stay far off with long range torp drops.  Akizuki is not meant for that, so her players tend to seek DD-on-DD X-Rated Action.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles

The only issue with Akizuki and unlocking her potential is having at least a 14 point captain. Since you got Yamamoto, I take this is not a problem. Akizuki is a very good and strong ship, with some big flaws to compensate.

Speed aside, she is pretty big and a very easy target for torps if you are sitting in smoke and not paying attention. While she has good AA, she can be cross dropped by any CV as well.

Where she begins to shine, is when any enemy shows broadside. 100mm AP doesn't overpen DDs, so 2.5-4k salvos every 3 seconds are pretty common. Any battleship within 8km that shows broadside as well exists to feed you damage. Last, her gun velocity, while very quick at first, quickly loses speed and becomes floaty. That means that you can also play USN DD behind cover vs any opponent that is farther than 9.5-10km.

I can't guarantee you will like her, but the package she brings if you are into this type of gameplay is almost perfect.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

It meets other DDs very easy in cap contention provide they're alone... but if they've come with any backup at all your world becomes a very dangerous place. I've found that you need to be very good at reading the minimap before committing to doing what it does best- which is beat up on DDs. It actually does really well at picking off the weak... damaged ships of any type. It doesn't maneuver well, it's not fast... one set of torps with a reload booster that can help bug out but with the proliferation of radar- it's hard to juke out of situations. 

[WORX]
Members
9,670 posts
17,623 battles

for the AKI you need a 19 pt cpt in order to make her good ship. Other then that, its a struggle

Members
3,032 posts
564 battles
39 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles
47 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

only one of these is an advantage though. TRB is just there to sometimes make up for the fact that she only has one launcher. She is rather slow for a DD which means speed boost just makes up for it. That said, she is a very unique DD so if you like variety she is worth it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,459 battles
53 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

>Speed,

Akizuki? Really?

[USCG]
Members
545 posts
18,428 battles

Love the Aki! Used her all through ranked to tier 10. She destroys destroyers...destroys...them... Not the most nimble but solid torps with rapid reload, low detect and did I mention the guns??? Yea, she has them...

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
29 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Akizuki? Really?

Do you even read? Im listing what consumables she has. Thanks for being a [edited] about it though

• Meh 1

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
35 minutes ago, Kochira said:

only one of these is an advantage though. TRB is just there to sometimes make up for the fact that she only has one launcher. She is rather slow for a DD which means speed boost just makes up for it. That said, she is a very unique DD so if you like variety she is worth it.

Yes TRB is just kinda there but is a very nice addition to make her torpedos a little more usable.

smoke is also hella usefull... not sure why you left that out but alright

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles
Just now, JessieTheKitty said:

Yes TRB is just kinda there but is a very nice addition to make her torpedos a little more usable.

smoke is also hella usefull... not sure why you left that out but alright

I left it out because it is an advantage, my point was the other two consumables temporarily cover for some of her weaknesses.

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
2 minutes ago, Kochira said:

I left it out because it is an advantage, my point was the other two consumables temporarily cover for some of her weaknesses.

Ahh i thought you meant speed was. Alright well i mean still. Akizuki is one of the few rare ships that dont have to trade smoke for TRB. Granted she doesnt have two launchers like kagero but she is able to put 10 torps into the water in 10sec and he able to gun things down unlike the kagero and also has more hp. Basically i in my prespective find it useful since you get the ability with TRB to be a smoking kagero with more hp and better guns. 

Beta Testers
206 posts
7,534 battles

Akizuki is good, but if you're just grinding it now because of the upcoming line completion, you're better off not rushing. Both are looking mediocre at best, and straight up garbage at worst, because WG continues to screw over IJN DDs no matter if they're torpedo boats or not. "Hey, let's give this DD a larger turning radius than some equivalent tier BATTLESHIPS, let alone the cruisers, that sure makes sense" says WG's brilliant "balancing" (and I use that term lightly) team. Along with the only thing it being able to reliably damage with its guns (see: gunboat) being DD and cruiser superstructure unless it has IFHE - and thus at least a 10 pt captain.

26 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Ahh i thought you meant speed was. Alright well i mean still. Akizuki is one of the few rare ships that dont have to trade smoke for TRB. Granted she doesnt have two launchers like kagero but she is able to put 10 torps into the water in 10sec and he able to gun things down unlike the kagero and also has more hp. Basically i in my prespective find it useful since you get the ability with TRB to be a smoking kagero with more hp and better guns. 

8 torpedoes - Akizuki is still only mounting a quad launcher, not a quintuple... and this is probably for the best given WG's insane torpedo balancing system is apparently almost entirely based on how many tubes a DD has per launcher, rather than anything sane like total number of torpedoes - see also the 3 minute reload on Kitakaze and Harugumo's singular sextuple mounts.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,938 posts
5,814 battles
1 hour ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Do you even read? Im listing what consumables she has. Thanks for being a [edited] about it though

In fairness to the guy, the consumable is called 'Engine Boost', and not 'Speed' which generally refers to the speed stat. The way it's worded, it's not immediately obvious that you were referring to the consumables, and this was the cause of the misunderstanding.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,459 battles
1 hour ago, JessieTheKitty said:

3 hours ago, JessieTheKitty said:

>great detection

>massive HP

Show me the word "CONSUMABLES", otherwise you're just a liar and a bad loser!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
960 posts
8,976 battles

I find it's best to div up or follow a DD with lower detection, then nuke any other DD that pops up. It's slow and clumsy so don't sit still unless you KNOW you're perfectly safe and have an escape route planned...but that goes for most DDs. Don't get caught out alone, it's a big target. I'd advise getting manual AA along with CE and IFHE. It's easy for CVs to ruin your day compared to other DDs, it's nice to slaughter some planes as a nasty surprise.

[AFK]
Members
429 posts
13,008 battles

I don't think is a better T8 DD; is one the best to deal damage and cap contest but in these specialty  Kiev and Lo Yang are better. In same job than Akizuki, we have the Kidd and he challenge Akizuki.

For me, the better DD in the game is the Z52 because they are very efficient for all DD job's.

Members
595 posts
6,440 battles
4 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Yamamoto is great for it...currently captains it for me.  IMHO...it's a great boat.  I mean...why suffer through the alt line and not get the Aki?  And, while the current meta is not DD friendly, that shouldn't dissuade you from it.  Eventually, it will settle down.  Further, the Aki really shines in a competitive mode.  The Lo Yang, Kidd and Akizuki are pretty much the best DD's at that tier.  Each brings a unique aspect to the battle.  The Aki serves as the "killer" in any hunter-killer DD pair...and it does it very well.  It's a somewhat quirky ship to learn and you need a high skill point captain to unlock it's true potential.  But, once you get it and learn it, you'll love it.

Finally, maybe the Devs will alter the Harugumo to make it a destination worth traveling.  As is...the Aki looks like the jewel of the IJN DD alt line.  Yet, you never know what might happen between now and when the rest of the alt line is released.  Might as well save up that XP on the Aki... 

[K0]
Members
1,754 posts
7,870 battles

Akizuki can easily rip up almost any other destroyer she can face, with the right investment. Cruisers and battleships are secondary targets, though relatively easy sources to pad damage off of. However, destroyers are also the biggest threat against her (not counting carriers), especially those who can outspot her. She is clumsy and awkward to maneuver, absolutely not a ship that should be first on the cap.

Pick up IFHE and exterminate other destroyers. Then you are free to do whatever you wish to the enemy team.

Edited by Flashtirade

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles

The Aki is a great DD, high HP, fast guns, long range if you set it up for that.  It turns like a bus and is as slow as one, so you have to mindful of enemies pushing on you, and when you need to leave an area so you do not get caught out.

You also have the T9 and T10 coming very soon so you will have more to grind once you get the Aki.

If you do not have a 19 point capt it can be harder but not impossible but you are going to need concealment and ifhe, there have been some recent videos done by Notser and jingles about the Aki and they discuss all of the pros and cons of capt builds.

The AA is good, best I have done is 24 planes in a single match

The AP is awesome as well on broadside ships, IFHE is good for when they angle but when you have their flat face and you switch, the damage out put is insane.

It has a full compliment of consumables so you do not have to go without smoke to use TRB.

Again I will say it is slow, you can get chased down, so position is everything, and knowing when to retreat.

Members
5,202 posts
22 hours ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Lol the people that play akizuki without a captain are te ones that say its bad.

>great detection

>massive HP

captain build should be PM, LS, SI/Demo (your choice), SE, EM, AFT/CE (your choice i prefer AFT for 15km range.) and finally the MUST HAVE IFHE.

yamamoto is a great cap for her. In fact my yamamoto is in akizuki

^ Nailed it. 

Most complaints I see about the Akizuki are fixed with captain skills. I don't think there's another ship in this game that is as dependent on a high level captain to be effective. 14pts is the sweetspot as it unlocks both IFHE and CE... both of which are absolute musts. 

However, as captain builds go, I prefer PT(1), AR(2), LS(2), SE(3), DE(3), IFHE(4), and CE(4). Guns are too floaty at max range, so I don't like AFT. I also play at close to mid range such that the extra range wouldn't be necessary. Also, I have Yamamoto which essentially gives you SI for free with First Blood. Playing the ship hyper aggressively means you get that achievement quite often. If I didn't have Yamamoto, I'd probably take SI over DE. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT