Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Pinch me. Free Premium Time ?!

14 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles

While amusing myself by figuring the actual discounts one receives on bundles in the Premium Shop I ran across what could be a really good deal.

The value of Doubloons in $$ is relatively fixed, increasing slightly with quantity.  At low quantities, 200 Db/$ is a good benchmark, rising to just under 235 at quantity 13,500 Db.

The actual cost of Premium Time varies a lot more, when purchased in-game from $1.50/day for a single day, to $0.42/day for 30 days, to $0.27/day for a year.  Bundles are a whole different thing.

Subtracting the cost of the Doubloons in a bundle, calculate the $$ cost of the Premium Time portion.  The Admirals' Bounty bundle currently in the Shop consists of 30 days Premium and 13,500 Db for $53.62.  The value of the Doubloons alone is $57.74, meaning that WG will pay you $4.12 to to take the 30 days Premium Time.

Of course, if one doesn't need all those Doubloons it doesn't help.  But maybe someone does...

P.S.  Yes, I know one could fix the cost of Premium and calculate the variable rate of Doubloons, but something must be relatively fixed to make sense of the economy, and Doubloons at least are ubiquitous.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,960 posts
12,425 battles

Considering these are digital goods with no limit on supply, they are making money on literally anything they sell you.

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles

So, Komrade, profit is bad? 

What would Stalin say?

Edited by iDuckman

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

You should have seen the deal back when premium ships came with a month of premium time.  i ran the numbers on alot of ships i bought back then.  I was sad to see those deals go, but i see why they did it.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles

Were I OCD I might run the numbers on Premium ships.  Since I won't buy any I avoid tormenting myself.

[LOU1]
Members
4,094 posts
11,423 battles

We need to keep in mind that there is an operating cost for WG.  The products sold have to equal or exceed that cost for WG to keep functioning.  I have to assume that products are priced in relationship to how many resources they use, in conjunction with an assessment of desire.

[NNG]
Members
1,673 posts
3,036 battles

It's all just sort of codes isn't it? I wouldn't think wargaming spends much on creating this premium time, doubloons, or existing premium ships. Nobody's making money here but them and if the deal is worth it for a regular WoWs player, by all means get it if you want.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,647 posts
4,602 battles
2 minutes ago, Edselman said:

I wouldn't think wargaming spends much on creating this premium time, doubloons, or existing premium ships.

You would be wrong.  Programmers, artists, and integrators are expensive, even in Russia.  As is server time. 

But we're getting dragged off topic, which is, "What's in a deal?"

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,272 posts
18,453 battles
1 hour ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Considering these are digital goods with no limit on supply, they are making money on literally anything they sell you.

Except for the hours of time some developer took, at $XX.XX per hour, to design and refine those electronic baubles, and the game that uses them. Does anyone really think WoW has nothing invested in this game?

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,960 posts
12,425 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Except for the hours of time some developer took, at $XX.XX per hour, to design and refine those electronic baubles, and the game that uses them. Does anyone really think WoW has nothing invested in this game?

Yes, but when it comes to throwing on a measly 30 days of premium wg isn't going to be losing much

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,272 posts
18,453 battles
3 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Yes, but when it comes to throwing on a measly 30 days of premium wg isn't going to be losing much

No, it's kind of like the 12.99 oil change your local garage give you to get you as a customer. 

[-KIA-]
Members
894 posts
5,172 battles
21 hours ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

True.

Sign in to follow this