Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tankkiller123453

Iowa : is it worth it

9 comments in this topic

Members
83 posts
2,554 battles

I have research the Iowa and the Montana long time ago ( but during that time they both had raised citadel and I didn't dare to move on).

Is it really worth it moving beyond the NC. The NC is a really great BB probably the best but I just got really bored, like I want to move on and get a different feel.

But all I heard that Iowa has great gun with great speed for a BB, but it is just a big hulking target, and a torpedo magnet. Even with lowered citadel it still gets hit by more HE than the NC.

So is it really worth it to move on ? or just stay at NC and technically finish the American BB line ?

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

You’ve already researched the Iowa and Montana? Just buy the Montana then. The Iowa and I didn’t get along for a while but we are starting to click now. It plays way differently than the NC but I still play aggressively in it. Choose reload upgrade if you’re going to be up close and it will work wonders for you. It does eat a lot of damage. A Cleveland was chunking me for 3k per salvo + fires yesterday but I went around and blapped him. The Montana is definitely worth it though. Can’t wait to get there. 

I am not a BB main. If you are, you will probably have more success than me.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
375 posts
5,637 battles

I prefer Iowa's sister and Montana is wonderful

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
37 minutes ago, tankkiller123453 said:

I have research the Iowa and the Montana long time ago ( but during that time they both had raised citadel and I didn't dare to move on).

Is it really worth it moving beyond the NC. The NC is a really great BB probably the best but I just got really bored, like I want to move on and get a different feel.

But all I heard that Iowa has great gun with great speed for a BB, but it is just a big hulking target, and a torpedo magnet. Even with lowered citadel it still gets hit by more HE than the NC.

So is it really worth it to move on ? or just stay at NC and technically finish the American BB line ?

Are you kidding me the Iowa is a blast for a tech tree ship.  I mean I have the Missouri now.  I play it almost every day unless I'm working on tech tree ships.  The Montana well that isn't so great I think at least.  Others opinions of it may vary.  But it is a great tech three ship.  Dont broad side in it.  I would just bite the bullet and grind it out.  If you don't like it you can always play a different ship.

[DAVO]
Members
97 posts
2,890 battles
On 7/1/2018 at 3:06 PM, tankkiller123453 said:

In a word, no. Just buy Montana. It feel much more tanky and the guns feel more accurate.

Beta Testers
631 posts
5,967 battles

Wait so you have both the Iowa and Montana researched? That had to have been a lot of free xp cause I don't see any games in your stats in either of them. But regardless, the Iowa is a good ship, although I prefer her radar equipped sister.. :) But if you have the Montana unlocked already then just get Montana as that is the end goal of going down the line in the first place.

[C-1]
Members
438 posts
8,687 battles

Only negative I have for the Iowa is the appalling rudder shift time at default.

Even with the rudder shift module upgrade, the thing is sluggish at best when making those turns and it's hard to plan 20 whole seconds in advance for navigating around islands and to turn around in an effort to get away from the enemy.

Only after the last upgrade, 100,000xp down the line, do you obtain a more manageable 15second rudder shift. Those 5 seconds count for a lot.

Other than that, it's a decent enough ship. Good guns, good forward armor, and only thing holding it back is the time it takes to get the thing to turn.

[UN1]
Members
1,015 posts
3,350 battles

Iowa is a great ship, but she is a lot harder to play than the North Carolina or Montana.  I, personally, did not perform very well in the Iowa, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it.  She has her great strengths, but her playstyle just wasn't for me.  This is coming from absolutely loving and performing very well in the North Carolina.  The Montana is far superior to the Iowa in every way though.  It's kinda like the Iowa in that it can't turn worth a dime, but has more guns, more hp, and much, much thicker armor to deal with positional mistakes. 

If I ever had the option to get the Missouri, I'd probably get it, but I have zero desire to ever pick up the Iowa again.  I'll level up another nation's battleship tree for a different T9 ship before I ever do that.

Sign in to follow this