You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Help with tactics with the Haida

18 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,782 battles

Had to buy her because of my family history (my grandparents on my paternal side were French  Canadian and I have relatives in Quebec).  Honoring my heritage.

She is an interesting dd.  Her guns (120 mm) hit like trucks much like the russian dds, but she can only shoot 4 torps at once so no torp walls.  If you guess wrong it takes a minute to guess again.

She's stealthy (5.7 with my captain), but she does get focused on once she is exposed.

I'm not sure how I should use her unique style of smoke.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Hold off firing to concealment range using cover, launch torps, set smoke and pound away - I do damage but the radar ships pin me and I end up running (and mostly dying) for my life.

2) spot caps, run away and fire at 10 KN range (I'm not that effective)

3) use smoke to screen my cruisers, circle behind them and come around for a left hook (my teammates tend to die faster than I can make the move because they don't know how to use smoke)

She is a fun ship with some big quirks.  DD brain trust, how do you suggest that I should fight her?

Alpha Tester
6,233 posts
3,085 battles

LWM has a really good guide on how to use her. In essence, use her stealth to get close to enemies, use your smoke and Hydro to keep yourself unspotted and torpedo-free, and focus on DDs first and foremost because you can shred them. 

[CK5]
Members
1,295 posts
13,120 battles

Haida seems to be a stealthy DD hunter.  The few times I have played her so far I try to find isolated enemy DDs that are not closely supported and easily win those fights.  The Perth smoke takes some getting used to but I am starting to appreciate it as it works well with hydro.  Pop smoke and move along with hydro running to avoid being a torp magnet.  The ship feels a lot like a Russian gun boat but with more tricks in the box to use.  

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,782 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

LWM has a really good guide on how to use

Who is LWM?

[DAWGZ]
Members
48 posts
12,371 battles
13 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Who is LWM?

Little White Mouse.....Her premium ship reviews is a "must read" before investing into new ships.

Members
83 posts
9,753 battles

I've tried this, but destroyers tend to keep away from Haida's creeping smoke.

It seems like it should be played like some combination of Blyskawica, IJN DDs, and the benefits of Perth/Huanghe's creeping smoke. Get into caps if there is no radar around, bully enemy DDs out of the cap (bow-in is best?). Otherwise, you are an IJN DD, providing spotting and stealth torping.

I agree with Mouse, Haida needs captain skills that buff her close range performance, such as BFT, AR. JoAT is good for keeping those consumables reloaded as fast as possible, they are your crutch.

Edited by stardestroyer001

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

It's a fun ship but it can't carry at all. Also the creeping smoke is a double edged sword as it gives away your location as you move around...

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,300 posts
13,905 battles

It is a sweet little knife fighter that can dominate a cap zone. I have shredded Kievs in that thing that got too close.

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers
514 posts
5,206 battles

I'm having fun with mine so far, despite the teams not being entirely cooperative with winning.  Her odd mix of tools makes her fun without seeming immediately gimmicky, and you can very quickly spot captains with her who don't "get" how to properly use them and instead just fall back on the same old DD tactics.  In those cases you can cruise right up on someone sitting in smoke and shred them with hydro, and usually they panic and run out of smoke so the rest of the team can see them if they out range hydro.  Against bigger targets the guns aren't terrible, being used to the USN 5inchers makes aiming with them pretty easy, though the lower rate of fire and lower fire chance do sometimes haunt you when you're trying to polish off a near dead BB or something.  The only real downside is that single torpedo launcher which means you just don't have the alpha to deliver a monster strike unless you really get lucky and stack all 4 torps on the same target at once.

In a way she kinda reminds me of how they Grozovoi is now, where you have a ton of consumables to rotate thru, and each requires you to change your style to really work them.  There's always something to do and it never feels like there's that singular stealth torp-from-range all game or smoke-and-shoot that dominate the play style of some of the other lines.

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,782 battles
1 hour ago, DedPan said:

you can very quickly spot captains with her who don't "get" how to properly use them

so..what is the best way to use her smoke?

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers
514 posts
5,206 battles

You can use it in the traditional sense of parking in it and firing out, I didn't mean to imply that tactic was wrong.  I meant more the people who simply hit the cap, slow down, smoke up, and wait for the action to come to them are shortchanging themselves.  The cool down on Haida's smoke is insanely quick vs most other tier7 DDs (at least the ones I have) so you can be a lot more proactive with it in terms of contesting caps and making both offensive and defensive moves.  The fact that it rolls with you also makes it infinitely more useful in my opinion, as it allows you to be mobile while retaining cover so if you start it early you aren't stuck with a smoke cloud in a useless spot.

For contesting caps if you can get your opponent to smoke up you suddenly have a huger advantage, as you can hydro up and advance on him, and if you get lit during this you can slow down and start your creeping smoke.  In this case the enemy DD can either try to stay in cap and get lit up by you, or bail giving up the cap to you.

If you reach the point where all the enemy DDs are dead, you can go back to using smoke in the traditional manner.  Also, if you see a teammate getting worked or aground you can come in close on them and smoke up, offering continual cover while they try to get out of whatever spot they put themselves in.  I've even had times where a friendly cruisers will try to tuck in with me for some stealth firing action.

I never played Perth so the whole moving smoke thing is totally new to me, but it kinda blows me mind how much it can change the play style for a ship.  Again, the classic smoke use method is still totally viable, but at the same time being able to relocate your smoke adds a ton more depth to what you can do both for your personal offense and defense, as well as teammates.

Members
4,415 posts
17,984 battles
3 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

It's a fun ship but it can't carry at all. Also the creeping smoke is a double edged sword as it gives away your location as you move around...

That creeping smoke is the only thing about Haida that I don't like. I'd prefer standard DD smoke.

Edited by ReddNekk

Members
83 posts
9,753 battles

Played a few more games in Haida.

Her greatest weakness, IMO, is that she takes a LOT of damage from cruiser and battleship shells, where other destroyers would not take so much. Haida's role, at the front lines, requires that she have some survivability. Even with SE, it doesn't matter, she loses half her health when she is first sighted. This prevents her from continuing her anti-DD role because at that point she can't afford to trade even;y with other destroyers.

If there's anything that should be buffed, it's the HP.

Members
1 post
6,311 battles

A quick question, can I purchase the maple leaf camo using doublins for the standard Haida destroyer. I just want the ship and maple leaf camo and $65 CDN is a bit much for a destroyer.

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,630 battles
1 hour ago, Warpathic said:

A quick question, can I purchase the maple leaf camo using doublins for the standard Haida destroyer. I just want the ship and maple leaf camo and $65 CDN is a bit much for a destroyer.

I think the answer in another thread was 2000 doubloons once you have the ship in port.

Members
379 posts
On 7/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, AMajor said:

Had to buy her because of my family history (my grandparents on my paternal side were French  Canadian and I have relatives in Quebec).  Honoring my heritage.

She is an interesting dd.  Her guns (120 mm) hit like trucks much like the russian dds, but she can only shoot 4 torps at once so no torp walls.  If you guess wrong it takes a minute to guess again.

She's stealthy (5.7 with my captain), but she does get focused on once she is exposed.

I'm not sure how I should use her unique style of smoke.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Hold off firing to concealment range using cover, launch torps, set smoke and pound away - I do damage but the radar ships pin me and I end up running (and mostly dying) for my life.

2) spot caps, run away and fire at 10 KN range (I'm not that effective)

3) use smoke to screen my cruisers, circle behind them and come around for a left hook (my teammates tend to die faster than I can make the move because they don't know how to use smoke)

She is a fun ship with some big quirks.  DD brain trust, how do you suggest that I should fight her?

Get CE ASAP as the lower Concealment when properly used is invaluable.  Use premium consumables, and get the Smoke Generator enhancement.  Run the speed flag if you can, and use Propulsion mod.  You need Priority Target, and if you knife fight a DD once 2-3+ ships target you smoke to conceal, get out of smoke to spot as needed to reengage or flee.  Fire single torp salvos, or a single followed by the rest, and it’s a good idea to save a torp as a distraction in a knife fight.  Always run hydro in smoke unless you know where all torps ships are.  Stay near your support when possible, and fire from 10km or greater in smoke WHILE ANGLING AWAY, ideally on BBs which are easier to hit.

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,782 battles

Just played a few Random games and I LOVE this quirky little ship (at least until other players start throwing torps in front of the moving smoke).  Not racking up big numbers (middle in damage), but she confuses the red dd drivers and drives them away from caps long enough for me to cap and scoot.  I'd have more points at the end of games if I would stop letting my eyes get bigger than my stomach and going after cruisers once all of the dds are gone :Smile_Default: