Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Compassghost

Ranging Torpedoes Beyond Their Maximum Effective Range

5 comments in this topic

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,425 battles

So, a lot of people have this misconception that a target outside your effective torpedo range, i.e. a BB 16.5km away when you have 11km torpedoes, is impossible to hit, or requires a lot of math to pull off.

Well, it's not, and the game actually provides you everything you need to know to determine whether it is possible to land the shot. This is, of course, a test target that I have asked to travel at 3/4 speed in a straight line, but I perform zero mathematical calculations to make these torpedoes disappear almost immediately after intercepting the Missouri.

The secret is in the mini-map, combined with your torpedo predictor.

xC1xjv1.png

If you use the ship's traversal path and your aim indicator path, you can find their intersections. If they are within your torpedo aiming range, in my case, 11km, assuming no changes in trajectory or speed, your torpedoes will hit.

This is useful for agonizingly slow torps with good range, or when you are running away, as the enemy ship is approaching you while your torpedoes approach them. This is also good at landing those awkward angled shots.

Obviously, the counter to being hit by this is basically avoiding torpedoes, but most enemy ships will likely not expect to be attacked by a ship from beyond their engagement range like this, especially early in the game.

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,254 posts
18,436 battles

I know that what you said is spot on, but I wish you hadn't posted it. I now have the feeling that everyone with Russian 4.5 K torps will be spamming them at targets 15.6 K away just because they are heading in the right direction. Had a team mate TODAY fire his tier 4 German torps at a target over 13 K away.  I realize you were trying to help, but I can almost guarantee some innocent DD or CL player is going to die soon over eating a torp fired from behind him. 

[TBW]
Members
9,775 posts
16,559 battles

I get a lot of torpedo hit by firing at ships that are out of range. This info will be helpful I always just guessed. Thanks eh.

Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
8,425 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I know that what you said is spot on, but I wish you hadn't posted it. I now have the feeling that everyone with Russian 4.5 K torps will be spamming them at targets 15.6 K away just because they are heading in the right direction. Had a team mate TODAY fire his tier 4 German torps at a target over 13 K away.  I realize you were trying to help, but I can almost guarantee some innocent DD or CL player is going to die soon over eating a torp fired from behind him. 

They already do that without this information. My conscience is clean.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,254 posts
18,436 battles
4 hours ago, Compassghost said:

They already do that without this information. My conscience is clean.

True ... true

Sign in to follow this