You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jagdhai

a USN documentary on "Cherry Blossom"

12 comments in this topic

[CRF]
[CRF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
25 posts
4,462 battles

Once you get past the 1950's animation it's a decent documentary.

Enjoy

-Jaghai

• Cool 8

[TSF]
Beta Testers
392 posts
13,517 battles

Thanks for the post. Very interesting.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
406 posts
17,679 battles

Thank you for the post.  I watched the entire video in amazement at what the challenges must have been for our navy during WWII.  

On a lighter note, with friendly rammings, friendly fire, and early deletions from the battle, I was thinking these guys would fit right in with us on WOWs.  :)

And, I would bet the enemy did not like radar any more that some of the guys on this forum.  :)

Edited by Joe_918145
Addition

[KSC]
[KSC]
212 posts
7,638 battles

Cool

Members
141 posts
21,277 battles

Its a shame the scenario does not more closely resemble the battle in that there was a finite number of IJN ships. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,363 posts
681 battles
6 hours ago, Jagdhai said:

Once you get past the 1950's animation it's a decent documentary.

I'd take the 1950s animation over the modern CGI stuff. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles

Cleveland-class dropping smoke!

Radar!

Stealth Torping USN DDs!

USN using Radar Aimbotting!

On a more serious note, its'a real good documentary about a naval engagement.  Good to follow the flow of events.  It also captures the confusion and uncertainty of battle.  Capt Hara who was aboard Japanese Destroyer Shigure for the engagement felt the Americans would have caused a lot more losses to the Japanese if they weren't so focused on the 2 crippled ships.  The Japanese force was in total disarray.  From this documentary's USN view, the Americans had their confusion of their own.  When the USN plotted out the movements, dispositions later, as was shown in the documentary, they realized they let slip a chance to cause much more heavy losses.

A side note of interest is that by this time, the Americans are becoming aware that the Japanese did in fact have some special torpedoes, which they knew nothing of in the earlier engagements of the war, especially in the fighting around Guadalcanal. 

There was a change in USN practice in fighting the Japanese compared to earlier in the war.  Earlier naval engagements, the USN would open up as soon as it could with gunfire, especially in mid-1942 for Guadalcanal.  But around 1943 the USN would hold gunfire and engage with torpedoes, then guns.  Empress Augusta Bay took place in November 1943.  An earlier battle of this change in American fighting in the Pacific was the Battle of Vella Gulf in August 1943.  No Cruisers in that engagement, but the US DDs stealthily moved up to the Japanese formation, dropped torpedoes and devastated them.  The US only opened up their guns after the torpedoes hit the Japanese.  

Anyways, this defeat at Empress Augusta Bay was a massive deal to the Japanese.  The American landing forces had to be destroyed and the IJN committed several precious cruisers that they've been keeping back.  Capt Hara said that the Americans had been well appraised of this movement of valuable Japanese Cruisers by scout aircraft, knowing they were going to hit port at Rabaul before going out to attack the American landings again.  The result?  An American carrier strike by Lexington-class Saratoga and Essex-class Princeton hit Rabaul for heavy damage.  Hara said of the attack:

"Rebaul weathered the November 2 air attack with little loss, but suffered a disaster three days later.  Americans think of the Pearl Harbor attack as a catastrophe, but the November 5 air attack on Rabaul was far worse.  A fleet of cruisers, zealously conserved for more than a year, was put out of action in a single day.

How could such a thing happen?  The Rabaul debacle of November 5 was an immediate outgrowth of the nightmarish battle of Empress Augusta Bay."

The result of the raid, as described by Hara:

"Flagship Atago was burning, her sisters Maya and Takao were damaged.  These three heavy cruisers, each packing the firepower of a squadron of destroyers, were disabled in one raid, after having been conserved for a full year without ever engaging the enemy on the high seas.  Also damaged were heavy cruisers Mogami and Chikuma, and light cruisers Agano and Noshiro, as well as destroyers Fujinami and Amagiri.  I rubbed my eyes and wondered if this could be real."

... All stemming from Empress Augusta Bay of November 1-2, 1943.  The carrier air strike on Rabaul was November 5.  One disaster leads to another.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[CRF]
[CRF]
25 posts
4,462 battles

Thanks for the even deeper history.  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,591 posts
4,602 battles

Bump for an excellent documentary.

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles

I'll have to give this some time on the computer. I don't think that my dinky phone will do it justice.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

A ship wanders from formation and gets torpedoed, knocking out its engine. Another ship hits a friendly and is damaged. Yet another gets hit before it can fire a shot. Sounds like a WOWS game all right.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles

Also OP, thanks for the video for another reason.

When people argue for "Realism" I'll use this video and show that Cleveland-class in WoWS does not have smoke generating ability, as was clearly mentioned several times in this movie that was made during WWII :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway