You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
raudy5

Is the Yueyang Legendary upgrade grind a fool's errand?

38 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
4,701 battles

image.thumb.png.896f89c668d438e29dfa21735db7f292.png

So as a Yeuyang, enthusiast, I was working out my build for the above legendary upgrade, and I finally paid attention to what slot it went in...slot 5. Fun fact: Slot 5 in where concealment systems modification usually goes. So that means Yeunyang goes from 5.8km concealment to 6.5km.  (in practical terms this would mean the Yeuyang can now be spotted from space by other sneaky style dds, and can even be shadowed by them without the other guy being detected...and all this without torps that can touch other dds. 

This is a self-nerf of the 1st order. 

Hard pass.

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,716 posts
16,330 battles

These modules were designed to play the ship in a different style with benefits and costs that are commensurate to each other.  Some of them are going to be much better for some play styles than others are, some of them are only going to be appealing to a certain kind of player. The one for the Yue Yang looks pretty bleak to me, but thee are some players that will make it work - how, I have no idea - but the super testers were able to.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

I mean I think it depends on how you play. You would have a 2.7s main battery and 122.4s toro reload. The smoke would lose 10.5s. Just depends on how you want to play it but it could be worth it. I would say no with the radar though.

Members
21 posts
4,701 battles
7 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

These modules were designed to play the ship in a different style with benefits and costs that are commensurate to each other.  Some of them are going to be much better for some play styles than others are, some of them are only going to be appealing to a certain kind of player. The one for the Yue Yang looks pretty bleak to me, but thee are some players that will make it work - how, I have no idea - but the super testers were able to.

I probably agree with your general premise, but I suppose all of this is in the context (for me anyway) of the current meta. There is a needle sized hole you can successfully play the Yeuyang through right now,  so I'm probably a little too harsh about the idea of being a more aggressive gun boat. It's a pipedream. 

Just to beat a dead horse: personal record for number of times separately radared in a single match: 15...not a typo, no idea how I lived. It wasn't cool, fun, or interesting, it was just a sisyphean bummer.

I actually until only recently didn't mind it, but it has changed how everyone plays, and not for the better.

Members
21 posts
4,701 battles
3 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I mean I think it depends on how you play. You would have a 2.7s main battery and 122.4s toro reload. The smoke would lose 10.5s. Just depends on how you want to play it but it could be worth it. I would say no with the radar though.

Yeah, my comment was conceived in and heavily influenced by the current meta.  I agree with you, but I don't see a scenario on the horizon that will make it a plausible reality. 

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,784 battles

After looking at the "Legendary upgrades" for my fleet of T10s I get the feeling they are not that Legendary and not that useful. Kind like how the "special upgrades" started out as not very special but than got changed. So while I probably won't uses these upgrades I'll get them, eventually. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,285 posts
18,465 battles
4 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

After looking at the "Legendary upgrades" for my fleet of T10s I get the feeling they are not that Legendary and not that useful.

This ... totally!

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,784 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This ... totally!

At least the Legendary Upgrades aren't in the Super Container Pool. 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,104 battles

Don't get this module.

Any module for ships not named Yamato, Grozovoi, Hindenburg, Henri, or Zao, are worthless. Worcester maybe ok but I doubt it.

• Cool 2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
12,410 battles
8 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

After looking at the "Legendary upgrades" for my fleet of T10s I get the feeling they are not that Legendary and not that useful. Kind like how the "special upgrades" started out as not very special but than got changed. So while I probably won't uses these upgrades I'll get them, eventually. 

I like the Hindy's but then I only play her in Clan and co-op ( Mostly Clan Battles but recently ; of course co-op for the Unique upgrade ) since in Clan Battles I do not use the concealment upgrade anyway .

:Smile_honoring: 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,285 posts
18,465 battles
3 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

At least the Legendary Upgrades aren't in the Super Container Pool. 

Thank God for small favors!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,136 posts
11,893 battles
4 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Don't get this module.

Any module for ships not named Yamato, Grozovoi, Hindenburg, Henri, or Zao, are worthless. Worcester maybe ok but I doubt it.

Shimakaze's is pretty good. If you like spamming 20km torps from the back of the map. :)

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,391 posts
1 hour ago, raudy5 said:

Hard pass.

Look at it this way... if you play the ship the points accrue... if you don't want it when you win it then so what; otherwise you have it. Get it? Why, it's almost free if you think of it that way, yes? 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,391 posts
14 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

From what I've seen posted about them... the GK kit will likely be the biggest benefit... but won't know of course until I eventually get there. 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,104 battles
3 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Shimakaze's is pretty good. If you like spamming 20km torps from the back of the map. :)

A great module for two years ago.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

These modules were designed to play the ship in a different style with benefits and costs that are commensurate to each other.  Some of them are going to be much better for some play styles than others are, some of them are only going to be appealing to a certain kind of player. The one for the Yue Yang looks pretty bleak to me, but there are some players that will make it work - how, I have no idea - but the super testers were able to.

Biggie,  I think that you miss the point.  Some of the Unique (aka legendary) modules are very good, while others are just plain lame.

It doesn't really matter if there are any players who can make a given unique module "work".  There will always be some players that can do that.  It seems to me that the real issue is whether or not any given ship's unique upgrade look worth the effort to grind it out.

I will say that I have to question whether the YY's unique upgrade is worth mounting and thus worth grinding for.  I will be grinding for the Hindenburg's UU, because as I recall, it just might be the best of the bunch.  Beyond that, I don't know.

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

Biggie,  I think that you miss the point.  Some of the Unique (aka legendary) modules are very good, while others are just plain lame.

It doesn't really matter if there are any players who can make a given unique module "work".  There will always be some players that can do that.  It seems to me that the real issue is whether or not any given ship's unique upgrade look worth the effort to grind it out.

I will say that I have to question whether the YY's unique upgrade is worth mounting and thus worth grinding for.  I will be grinding for the Hindenburg's UU, because as I recall, it just might be the best of the bunch.  Beyond that, I don't know.

I think you are kind of missing the point. It’s kind of like reload vs accuracy for Montana. Some people like being aggressive and choose reload while others like distance and choose accuracy. I think all of them are viable for different styles of gameplay. 

Ex. Some people hate the Moskva upgrade but I would love it. I will take a little reload and a little range any day. The Des I don’t like, but I’ve had a few people explain on reddit why they’d take it. It is beyond me but they like it. Just depends on your play style. Some good for you are bad for others and vise-versa 

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
15 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I think you are kind of missing the point. It’s kind of like reload vs accuracy for Montana. Some people like being aggressive and choose reload while others like distance and choose accuracy. I think all of them are viable for different styles of gameplay. 

Ex. Some people hate the Moskva upgrade but I would love it. I will take a little reload and a little range any day. The Des I don’t like, but I’ve had a few people explain on reddit why they’d take it. It is beyond me but they like it. Just depends on your play style. Some good for you are bad for others and vise-versa 

No, I'm not missing the point.  You are.  This discussion is about how some unique upgrades are pretty good or at least half decent, and some are just lame.  This discussion isn't about play style.  Reread the OP's post.

Members
922 posts
5,080 battles
7 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

This mod wont change the way the boat is played. Its pretty much 10 seconds off torps for 10 seconds off smoke and loss of concealment. Nobody with radar is going to be running this since the consumable already has an insanely short duration and range and the main gun boost is only 30 miliseconds. You lose the ability to contest caps and combat other DDs, as well as losing some smoke, for a pitiful few seconds off torpedoes. Its crap.

Changing the way its played would be something like -30% to detection +50% torpedo reload time. 

Edited by ksix

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

No, I'm not missing the point.  You are.  This discussion is about how some unique upgrades are pretty good or at least half decent, and some are just lame.  This discussion isn't about play style.  Reread the OP's post.

You’re still missing the point. “Good” is subjective. Do you think rudder shift or propulsion is better on Gearing? What is “good” to you might not be “good” to me. The purpose of these upgrades was to help make the play styles fit into a niche. If you think every upgrade will be best for the current meta and your play style, you’re sadly wrong. Pick an upgrade and you can easily find what it is good for. Doesn’t mean you want to use it that way so it will be bad to you.

• Meh 1

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,384 battles

I definitely wouldn't take it on my YY. Even if it was in a different slot, I'm still not sure I'd trade 15% radar duration for 10% gun/torp reload.

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

Most of the Legendaries are balanced. Some are clear upgrades, like the Hakuryu one. Others are downgrades, like the Des Moines one. And then there are completely 100% garbage ones ... like the Yueyang one. Losing concealment AND smoke/radar for a mere 10% faster rate of fire buff is terrible.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Belyy_Klyk said:

You’re still missing the point. “Good” is subjective. Do you think rudder shift or propulsion is better on Gearing? What is “good” to you might not be “good” to me. The purpose of these upgrades was to help make the play styles fit into a niche. If you think every upgrade will be best for the current meta and your play style, you’re sadly wrong. Pick an upgrade and you can easily find what it is good for. Doesn’t mean you want to use it that way so it will be bad to you.

I'm sorry but that's often a lot of nonsense.  Some of these upgrades are just plain bad.  And if someone thinks that they're good, all that says is that they have bad judgment, not that it's a matter of personal taste.  There are some things that are objectively bad, no matter what you or I might think.  Some people can make something bad work, but that does NOT make it good.  It just means that they can make it work for them IN SPITE OF it being bad.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
7 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Most of the Legendaries are balanced. Some are clear upgrades, like the Hakuryu one. Others are downgrades, like the Des Moines one. And then there are completely 100% garbage ones ... like the Yueyang one. Losing concealment AND smoke/radar for a mere 10% faster rate of fire buff is terrible.

I agree.  The YY upgrade would be of questionable value if you got the buffs without the smoke and radar nerfs, for no other reason than you were giving up the concealment module (if it's a slot 5 upgrade).  The value of the YY mod would be dubious even if it didn't require you to lose any other modules.  Probably worth the nerfs to radar or smoke.  But it becomes highly dubious when you factor in giving up the concealment module.

Honestly, I really wish that they'd created a 7th upgrade slot for these unique upgrades and then balanced them around not having to give up a slot 5 or 6 upgrade module.