Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Good first DD purchase ever?

9 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
444 posts
10,182 battles

Steam has an Anshan bundle for 9.99 which includes 1.5k doubloons and ship. I've never played dd before is this a good DD? With the price of 1.5k doubloons being around 7-8 dollars this ship would be about 2 bucks. TIA

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,344 posts
17,555 battles

If you've never played DDs before it'd not be the wisest move to pay real money for a T6 one, especially considering MM. Play free ones first.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles

Just be aware of this tidbit.

This DLC is not compatible with an account created outside of Steam.

If your account isn't through Steam, then I don't believe the bundles on it will work.

As for the Anshan, it's not an easy DD to play if you've never used them before.  The turret traverse doesn't keep up when turning the ship, so if you find yourself in a close fight you'll be at a disadvantage.  As Lert said, I would suggest playing through the tech tree ships and find ones that have a playstyle you enjoy.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,553 posts
33,702 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you've never played DDs before it'd not be the wisest move to pay real money for a T6 one, especially considering MM. Play free ones first.

Fully agree.

Anshan is a great boat, but not if you have not played RU gunboats before. Don't spend the money, grind to Ognevoi (basically same ship) and see if you can handle it/like it.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,894 posts
33,875 battles
3 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Fully agree.

Anshan is a great boat, but not if you have not played RU gunboats before. Don't spend the money, grind to Ognevoi (basically same ship) and see if you can handle it/like it.

Anshan and the T6 Fushun are virtually identical boats. The only significant difference is the Fushun’s deep water torps. 

Between the horribad turret traverse and less than nimble handling, Anshan is not an easy DD to play well.  

I would recommend trying the Wakatake to see if you like sneaky torp DDs. Does the Derzki’s gunboat style work for you?  Or maybe the Clemson as a general purpose DD is a great introduction to USN DDs. Figure which DD style appeals to you, then work up that line. 

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

Is this the third topic you've started about ships to buy? You are just going to get the same answers I suspect.

#1. Not sure if Steam packs are compatible with vanilla WoWs. Did you initially register WoWs through steam?

#2. Anshan is just a Fushun (available for free on PA line). Arguably, the Fushun is better.

#3. Tier 6 has bad MM, so T6 premiums are less fun.

#3. Learn to play the ships first. UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY NEED A PA DD CAPTAIN TRAINER (i.e. you have started up the Pan Asian DD line, which I strongly doubt) premium time is better.Play some DD lines up to the tier you plan on getting the premium at (which I bet you haven't).

You seem to want us to say "yes - buy this ship!"... but the answers will be the same

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, and you MUST spend money to buy a DD, despite all advice to the contrary.... the Leningrad at T7 is very good.

EDIT: The most fun you can have in a DD is T4. Yes, Tier 4. They are actually powerful and can do damage like other classes, unlike at high tiers where radar etc relegate them to a passive scouting/spotting role. Play a bunch of T4 DD lots.

EDIT: The next time you go to start a "should I buy this ship topic" ask yourself

1. Have I actually played this class to the tier I am wanting to buy the premium at? (i.e. don't buy a T8 cruiser if you've only played T4 ones)

2. Do I need to train a captain for this line? (i.e. buy PA Anshan when planning to go up USN DD line; i.e. Fushun is useless as a trainer)

3. Is it at a good MM tier (i.e. 7) or acknowledged as powerful at its tier?

If the answer is NO to any of those questions...   ....then no, do not buy the ship.

I've just saved you having to post a "should I buy this premium CV" next week.... :cap_like:

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,688 battles

Play it in co-op and get a feel for the ship. But yeah play the pan asian DD's up to tier 6 first . That way you will get to know  the Pan Asian
DD gameplay and transfer those skills ,you have learnt along, the way into great games. DD's are great fun, once you have developed skill's
thru plenty of trial and error gameplay.

Members
1,366 posts
16,663 battles

There are several differences between the Anshan and the ships it's been compared with that potential buyers should keep in mind. It has much better torpedoes than the Russian counterpart. Her torps are not the DWT of the rest of the PA line which means they are effective against all targets. Also the permanent camo she comes with has a 100% increase in FXP.

Decisions should be based on all the facts although I would agree with others that the Anshan is not the best DD to start DD play with.

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Steam has an Anshan bundle for 9.99 which includes 1.5k doubloons and ship. I've never played dd before is this a good DD? With the price of 1.5k doubloons being around 7-8 dollars this ship would be about 2 bucks. TIA

Longjang. Tier 2 and is free. Totally OP and will be good for you to learn the basics in the dd gameplay.

Sign in to follow this