You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kizarvexis

Discord or Teamspeak? for a casual clan

16 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
18,809 posts
11,512 battles

So, we got the clan together to try and reach 20k and decided to play some Clan Battles. We have played 3 Clan Battles in the last two seasons, but we are a full clan now. We played 4 Clan Battles to rotate people through tonight, so everyone who wanted could play. We don't have voice comms and typing just doesn't cut it.

We are mostly older players and want something easy to use. We have no experience with voice comms, so would like some help please. Both are free, so that solves the biggest issue.

Which would y'all suggest and more importantly why, please? Discord or Teamspeak?

Thank you

[PVE]
Members
18,809 posts
11,512 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Honestly discord is better now, unless you have a MASSIVE clan like 400+ members then teamspeak is easier to manage.

We have the max 50 members and no sub clans.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,486 posts
5,938 battles

Discord is the thing now, to the point where I've uninstalled Teamspeak (used to use it all the time in WoT, WoWS, and ARMA 3).

Haven't used that program in years, and Discord's easy-to-use interface and the fact that it's free is a major benefit to why more people are using it.

Members
2 posts
3,643 battles

I would highly recommend discord as it is very friendly towards any group.

You can set up discord to hide channels for certain roles, which allows you to have a public channel for recruiting/general purposes while hiding clan only information. Additionally it is useful for quick information sharing, from links to basically anything informative.

If you need any help with discord do not hesitate to ask.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,768 posts
20,681 battles

There's been some switch over towards Discord.  You can use the browser version or the separate install, whatever.  In an MMORPG I'm still with, our guild was originally on Teamspeak but has gone over to Discord a month or two ago.

Members
1,944 posts
2,492 battles

Because I sometimes need to be in my group's voice chat while not at home, and need to do it over my phone, we moved to Discord because Teamspeak's app isn't free.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
768 posts
9,943 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Which would y'all suggest and more importantly why, please? Discord or Teamspeak?

G'day KizarV. Discord. Even my hamster can use it.

• Funny 1

[POP]
Members
2,215 posts
19,529 battles

Yeah like the rest have said  Discord is the in thing  now

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,462 posts
17,994 battles

Definitely Discord

[DESU]
Members
181 posts
4,865 battles

Discord is free and easy to maintain,

Roles and rankings are easy to establish and permissions are done by the level of rank.

Voice and text channels are a simple click and set for permissions and whatnot and once you have everything set, it's done, you don't need to do much else.

Also discord has emoji's

[QQ7]
Members
490 posts
3,736 battles

Honestly, 

A lot of you would disagree with me on this one. I say Teamspeak. I have my reasons.

There's too many reasons to fully explain when it comes to why I think it's better. However, I'm not saying don't use discord. If you're not willing to spend money then by all means go for it. But, hear me out on this. Every clan that I've ever been a part of from NavyField to CrossFire (previous games I played) up until now, have always used Teamspeak 3. Obviously because this was before discord. I do use discord, don't get me wrong. Just not for my clan Exiles. All of my members don't like using discord at all for numerous reasons. So there's a good handful of people out there that doesn't like to use it.

Personally, I think TS is better for organized clans as well as larger clans as @Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao pointed out. But he said, only for mass quantity clans. Not for regular average clans. 

I'll say a few reasons why.

1. I think TS is more customization than discord has. From server groups, to server tags and all that jazz. Discord only has the ability to change color tags and it has custom tags and can separate by displaying different groups but basically I just call it as, Discord adopted RGB.

2. When it comes to server security, I think both are good on that part when it comes to DDOS Security. It just depends with what company you go with on hosting a TS Server. 

3. When it comes to Discord and TS. I've spoken to a couple other clan leaders having issues with members not using discord. In other words, their account is on the server but they aren't using it as they should be and that people are not utilizing the voice chats and only using the text chats. That can lead to issues, if not major issues. A clan can turn into quite a mess if not everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing.

4. TS is far more organized in my opinion. I know the ins and outs of server permissions on both programs. Discord can make it easy on beginners who never have had server admin before. Discord is a simplified version of TS3 sure but, TS just has more options when it comes to server permissions and other groups. 

5. Discord requires you to create an account. Some people aren't willing to do so. TS, you don't have to do that. You can create an account for the thing called, myteamspeak, but I just have stuff written down so I don't really need it and I keep all of my important files for TS on a flash drive. (I could use a cloud drive yes, but atm, no).

Basically, these are some of the reasons why I think TS has a slightly better advantage over Discord. It was never ideal for me or any of my clan mates. They were just well too used to TS to want to use discord.

In the end, I'm not discouraging anyone from using either. It's all on personal opinions and what they think is best for their respective clans. I use discord for personal use and for other games I play as well and that it was my replacement for skype. So, I'm not even hating on discord. This was all for clan based talk.

[PVE]
Members
18,809 posts
11,512 battles

So it looks like the discord votes are because it is easy, I guess? If so, that is good.

11 hours ago, DevilFreak_ said:

Honestly, 

A lot of you would disagree with me on this one. I say Teamspeak. I have my reasons.

snip

Teamspeak sounds pretty good for serious clans, but we have like 10 people, out of the clan of 50, who seem to be interested in more than one CB to get the dragon flags and free cpt respec.

Since you use both and the Discord votes were just pretty much yes, would you consider Discord to be easier for novices to use? I will probably be setting the permissions and we don't need anything complicated.