Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PFCWilliams

Are Japanese destroyers worth it?

20 comments in this topic

Members
37 posts
1,117 battles

I don't play this game that much, been gone for over 2 years actually.  

Are Jap destroyers worth going to tier X?  I am on Fubuki (spelling?) right now and American and Russian DD, same tier, guns rip this thing to pieces in seconds.

And yes the Jap DD have more torpedoes... but doesn't seem that much of an advantage.  Especially when cruisers can easy mode avoid everything and anything and you have to stay out of sigh of BB otherwise they can easily avoid too.  And launching torps at 7.1 KM the probability the BB will not change course is VERY low. 

Is the Jap DD line worth it?  

[HSSW]
[HSSW]
Members
331 posts
15,909 battles

if you like being nerfed in some way almost every patch, and ........................ short answer, NO

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,037 battles

We prefer the term IJN.

And if you enjoy playing on hard mode, with limited reward for your efforts, IJN DDs are right for you.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,052 posts
12,551 battles

I have really enjoyed the IJN DDs, they are like stealth bombers in the game and can kill enemy ships often without getting themselves spotted. The long range torpedoes can be fun.

[VW]
Members
3,374 posts
16,766 battles

Ijn are torp boats except the alt line akikzuki or whatever. Us dds are gun boats, so are asian, but they cant torp dds. Both lines have good torps. German are dd hunters but with moderate range torps and p@ss poor smoke. Russian dds are miniature cruisers not dds. And anyones guess what limey boats will be.

[PHASE]
Members
5,551 posts
18,183 battles
14 minutes ago, PFCWilliams said:

Not the easiest DD line that's for sure. But get some experience..... and its the most rewarding dd to do well in. again, disclaimer... not easy....but worth it?  #helltotheyes 

See the source image

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,623 posts
10,887 battles

First - gonna wanna change it to IJN or Japanese - the short version was used as a derogatory term and therefore, not allowed.

Second - it depends on the player, and to an extent which of the soon 2 full lines. The current "main" line are ninja assassins. Though, the amount of Radar and Hydro has crippled these as well as other changes. Some have it rougher than others, but when you get them on your a game - they are still ships to be feared, especially the Shima "wall'o'skill" - 15 torpedoes in a salvo with the destructive potential to take out 3 Yamato's. But this line does not fare well in gun fights. And if your forced into one, the one advantage is these things were built for a running gun battle, most of their fire power is on the stern. But for them, not being seen is life. At the moment though, better to run longer torps when you have the option. I prefer my 8 km torps on Yugumo, but there's so much radar with the USN cruiser splits over the usual I've had to go to a standoff range outside their radar. 

[A-CUP]
Members
890 posts
7,261 battles
41 minutes ago, PFCWilliams said:

Are Jap destroyers worth going to tier X?  I am on Fubuki (spelling?) right now and American and Russian DD, same tier, guns rip this thing to pieces in seconds.

And yes the Jap DD have more torpedoes... but doesn't seem that much of an advantage.  Especially when cruisers can easy mode avoid everything and anything and you have to stay out of sigh of BB otherwise they can easily avoid too.  And launching torps at 7.1 KM the probability the BB will not change course is VERY low. 

IJN DDs pay big dividends if you can manage to survive to late game, when everyone has blown their radars and/or most cruisers have been sunk by BBs. Then the lower detection and high speed/range torps really come into play.

The main advantage of an IJN torpedo is the combination of speed and range. Other torps have one or the other, but not both.

> probability that the BB will not change course is very low

You can actually use this to your advantage. Launch one set (or a volley) to get the BB to turn to avoid them and launch a second set/volley where they would go to avoid your first. Torp reload boost makes this work, but you can get away with just one launcher's worth if you have more patience.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
59 minutes ago, PFCWilliams said:

They are fun it just all depends on the style of game play you like.  You can't go blazing in with all guns firing.  They are more of like taking an approach with stealth launching the torpedoes and leaving the area while trying to remain un detected.  If thats your fancy then yea they are worth it.

Beta Testers
1,258 posts
8,694 battles

Honestly, no, not really. Play Pan Asian, Soviet/American, or German, in that order. IJN DDs require extreme skill and map awareness to have an influence, and are highly specialized in an inconsistent armament. The current high tier meta is also very oppressive to DDs that aren't either fast and survivable, (Grozovoi, Khabarovsk, great guns) or provide support in some way (Yueyang; radar, cruiser sniper torpedoes. Or Gearing, long range or high damage quick reloading torpedoes to chuck at caps, and great smoke for teammates).

Throughout the tiers, Pan Asia has the easiest grind by far, followed by American DDs. IJN have the most difficult time alongside German.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,026 posts
19,676 battles

It matters what you want to play. Honestly, I like being a sneaky devil that can shoot back so  for that I use the PA DDs.  I also like the Akizuki and Shigure.  

If you want to play DDs like a chess match, IJN DDs can be fun.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,556 posts
18,079 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

And anyones guess what limey boats will be.

Sub-standard.

Beta Testers
364 posts
5,364 battles

I love the IJN DDs but they are not for everyone. Also you WILL want to change your usage of the three letter word. I got a warning for it once. A d since I can tell you didn't mean it in the degoritory way just wanted to give e you the heads up.

Members
614 posts
5,529 battles

I found IJN DD's frustrating to play, and only hit Tier VI before becoming bored and switching to Russian gunboats. I give props to anyone who has ground out the whole line and can do well in them.

BB's know they've been spotted, and at higher tiers they know how to WASD, and it's annoying to wait 60s to find your spread has missed because your target has changed direction slightly. I found myself trying to get up close and personal with targets so that I couldn't miss... then realised that the Russian boats were better at that tactic, and could also stay at range and shoot HE at cruisers and BBs, and had the speed to hunt down the sneaky IJN dds and fill em full of holes.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,957 posts
4,602 battles
2 hours ago, PFCWilliams said:

Two of the top 5 most played ships last month (Shimakaze #2 and Kagero #4/5?) were IJN destroyers.  Obviously someone thinks it's worth it.

Edited by iDuckman

[SYN]
Members
5,470 posts
12,704 battles
2 hours ago, PFCWilliams said:

No one can tell you.  You're going to have to find that out for yourself.

Be warned, however, that the IJN DD line is probably the most difficult line to play in the entire game.  Absolutely everything depends on not being spotted.  Most IJN DDs cannot properly defend themselves in a gunfight with another DD.  If a US, VMF, German, or even a Pan-Asian DD spots you (and they are looking for you) and decides make an issue of it, there just isn't a whole lot you're going to be able to do about it in return, other than a lucky torp hit.

Sign in to follow this