Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronStumpjumper

Down and dirty guide to Cherry Blossom

16 comments in this topic

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles

KK, we have a new week and a new mission.  This guide is dedicated to those who really want to push for a 5 star rating.  In the cycle of missions, I would rate this as a number 2 in easiest missions to finish and farm damage.  Bad thing is, you're stuck with cruisers.  Good thing is, you're still stuck with cruisers....  It's a perfect map for them.  

Killer whale would take the number 1 spot IMHO as it is extremely predictable.  This one is predictable as well, but it has the added bonus of having the salmon spawn to weed out those who don't pay attention.  With all those fishies in the water, someone is bound to end up on the bottom or in drydock.  Needless to say, it's happened to me a few times as I had 4 layers of torps making a nice quilting pattern heading towards me last game and similar ones in other "collisions."  So basically, I'm putting this down as a guide to help those that want to understand the mission better.  And as in all missions, teamwork and coordination is key to making this mission a lot easier.

The overall objective of the mission is to protect your troops and troop ships during phase one.  That is your priority mission.  Problem is, the troops are quite a distance from you.  So, to properly complete this for 5 stars, you have to drive hard for the troops.  Another objective is to protect the ships the troops arrived on.  As you'll hopefully blow by these ships heading to the troops, it is pretty easy to protect them.  Your first enemy appears as 4 dd's heading in for torp runs on the troop ships.  I've popped radar 10 seconds into the match and I've popped radar 30 seconds in and picked them up every time.  Since you have a time limit, the best thing is to wait till you get detected then pop it.  For one, they'll be closer and easier to hit.  And 2, you've got a better chance to have more shells land on target as 2 dd's will initially be dodging around and the other 2 will be heading straight in.  If you're smart, when the match starts, aim your guns to your forward left.  That leaves you already in the area they're coming from.  When radar picks them up, you just have to make minor aim corrections and maybe a slight turn to starboard to bring all guns to bear.  So those with radar, coordinate your radar usage as you have 5-8 mins of darkness and you've a lot of targets to take out.  And for once, WG took it easy on you.  If you kill the dd's fast, you won't get torp spammed even though the dd's have a perfect solution.  The longer they stay alive though, they will pickle a few off at the lead ships that are close to the troop ships.

Hopefully, you've kept yourself heading towards the troops at the beach as you're going to need to take advantage of every knot you can get as the timer doesn't stop.  And the next enemy group will pound them mercilessly if you're slacking.  Next group will be 2 dd's and 2 cruisers pounding the troops.  Those are the priority.  You'll also have 2 cruisers heading in from the northwest in deep water and 2 dd's closer in to shore.  You'll also have parachute flares being launched to illuminate patches of water (more on this later.)  In the methods I've played that were the most successful, 1 or 2 ships head north to head those off.  The rest keep needs to keep heading to the beach to get in range so you can sink those hitting the troops.  And this is where coordination is key as well as knowing your ship.  Those that head north need to be able to fire quickly on the oncoming ships.  They have a nasty tendency to get retaliation hits for every heavy hit you get on them.  It's bad when you crit hit the first cruiser in line for his remaining health and kill him but his return fire that got off before destruction takes out over 1/2 your health in return even on a [edited] angle that would normally bounce them.  And you (and hopefully a partner) need to take out 2 cruisers (that seem to have that ability) and 2 dd's. 

Your teammates, on the other hand should still be driving in and focusing on the ships firing on the troops.  The first cruiser that comes in range will be anchored.  Aim carefully and let fly.....  I've seen this cruiser disappear after getting hit by 4 of my teammates with one salvo each rushing in.  If you don't kill him quick, he accelerates and turns quickly.  So don't fire and spook him early.  Wait till you got good aim and use it to put some good size holes in him.  And it makes it easier on you as the two cruisers do the most damage to the troops so killing one right off the bat really helps out.  As to the ship paths, the pattern here is real easy to see.  The enemy ships will try to run towards the beach and then turn back out towards you.  The cruisers will actually head southwest, almost directly to your start point, while the 2 dd's will run circles parallel to the coast with their tubes pointed in your direction.  Key is still (and is for every mission) to kill them fast.

Coordination is this phase is key.  Radar will help you keep the enemy spotted.  If not, and they have some distance, you'll have to deal with them popping in and out of sight until you get close.  So those with radar can try to coordinate their radar bursts to when the enemy needs to be spotted.  Also, make use of the parachute flares as well.  Those who headed north will actually be able to pass to the east of the flares and remain out of their pools of light.  Those heading in to protect the troops, they may have to watch out for them.  And I go contrary to what WG intended for the mission.  I actually head into the pools of light to draw fire and dodge.  That brings the enemy back into view for a quick volley if they're out of sight range and radar is on cool down (coordination....)  And the ships hitting the troops seem to lack the retaliatory salvo's that the incoming cruisers had.

After you protect the troops, there is still one part of the phase before official sunrise.  2 dd's will come in from the north, just to the west of the closest islands.  Even though it is light out, they'll be more difficult then normal dd's to spot.  Good thing is, once spotted, they don't fade out like those during the night fights.  If you had one or two ships that headed north to intercept the cruisers and dd's, they're already in position to illuminate the dd's.  This is important as you have 2 dd's and 2 heavy cv's coming in to support you.  And as an added bonus, one will repair you as well.  Those 2 dd's, if not intercepted, will close in on the cv's to launch torps and the 2 fletchers protecting them seem to have a case of sleeping sickness as they're not able to effectively protect them.  Once spotted though, they're easy prey to mass fire.

Phase 2-  Salmon Run.......

There are 2 effective ways I've seen this run, so I'll touch on them both.  One of them is the "bunker down" syndrome and the other is "Charge of the Light Brigade."  But first, a quick description of what you're up against.  You have 2 airbases that launch heavy torp bombers raids.  And it is heavy as it appears that 6 flights are launched from every base per run.  You have to kill 55 (I got to double check this number and number of flights so take with grain of salt) of them in order to stop the air attacks.  Key is, you've got to protect your cv's as they launch their own raids (and surprisingly enough, effective ones) as well as a couple token fighters. You can also get repairs from one of them.  Don't worry about the dd's.  They're expendable.  They'll rush the enemy so make use of them for spotting.  If you kill the enemy ships close enough to them, they actually cause a lot of damage and confusion.  But usually they run for the first torp spread they see and kamikaze.  For the enemy. you have a heavy cruiser that tries to escape to the southwest and 3 cruisers and 4 dd's in the anchorage.  If this isn't enough to make gun bunnies happy, more will dribble in from the pass by the northern airbase (usually 1 cruiser and 2 dd's.)  So your main goals are to take out the heavy cruiser, shoot down airplanes, flatten the enemy airbases, as well as keep 4 teammates alive (hopefully you get a team that wants to get a perfect no death run.)  What you have to face is tons of torp launches from both the ships and bombers, decently accurate fire from the enemy ships, and positioning yourself effectively as the hills and islands are annoying.

The two methods I described for doing this are two counters I've seen.  Either way, you've got to stay on your toes.  And my name for this section is adapt for what you'll see here as I've counted 48 incoming torps in just my view range with multiple others visible on the map.

Bunker down method.-  Get close to the carrier and knock down the airplanes with mass fire.  Stay at speed though, will explain why below....  While swatting flies, take the priority cruiser under fire as he will sail within range.

"Charge" method-  Get into 2-3 groups that are able to protect themselves from airplanes.  Pick a spot that will force the planes to attach you or fly over you to hit the cv's.  Then you proceed to take the fight to the enemy.  Don't forget to sink the priority cruiser as he can escape if he gets to the south.

Either way, keep an eye out.  Torps will be incoming.  And if that isn't enough, many will be patterned to catch you after you dodge the previous wave.  Spreading out in the "charge" method will lighten the amount incoming but surprisingly enough, not as much as you would think as torps launched elsewhere may catch you from an unexpected direction.  The dd's and cruisers seem to mass fire as soon as you come within range.  And if they're in the passes between islands, they can get a lot of torps out quick.  The pattern here is a back and forth pattern.  The cruisers will pull circles behind the islands and be protected by hills.  The dd's, they're more random.  The priority here, IMHO (as there are different schools of thought,) is to take out the dd's first.  They will continue to spam torps and much faster then the cruisers.  Plus, there are more fish per salvo.  The cruisers (light ones) stay further back and don't play as much of a role in the torp spam.  The heavies, their path takes them where they're limited in who they can hit when they're behind the islands.  The dd's stay in sight longer, so hit them then you can take the cruisers out at leisure.

While you're doing this, more ships will enter in from the north.  Best advice is to ignore them and protect yourself first.  The airbases are easy kills (aim slightly higher then where you want to hit for flatter firing ships) and they're not launching planes anymore.  In between groups (around 2 minutes spawn,) hit the airbases.  Not sure if it's me, but my AP shots seem very ineffective on them while my HE shots are devastating (naturally.)  You can try either one, but HE works great for me.  Once the airbases are down, it's time to head back to base and lift a few cold ones for those that didn't make it.

Edited by IronStumpjumper
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,031 posts
12,551 battles

I would like to add that solo charging airfield area at the start of the match while rest of team heads to the beach area will not work. Wargaming added a security measure to prevent that called 3 or 4 Zao CAs reinforced with DDs to prevent early access to airfields area. Those Zao CAs sail away and do not bother anyone if you follow the normal plan of saving beaches with the team and then heading up to airfields.

• Cool 1

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would like to add that solo charging airfield area at the start of the match while rest of team heads to the beach area will not work. Wargaming added a security measure to prevent that called 3 or 4 Zao CAs reinforced with DDs to prevent early access to airfields area. Those Zao CAs sail away and do not bother anyone if you follow the normal plan of saving beaches with the team and then heading up to airfields.

Never had a team do the solo, so wasn't aware of that tidbit.  Thanks for the heads-up.

[SBS]
Members
5,125 posts
2,408 battles

My experience with the DDs at the beginning is to hold off on the radar until the DDs are really close, or you can even wait until you detect them without radar.  You do want to rush them right from the start.  I've found they really don't shoot torps that way.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,031 posts
12,551 battles
1 minute ago, IronStumpjumper said:

Never had a team do the solo, so wasn't aware of that tidbit.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Well I knew the OP could be done with 6 players since nice first time I 5 starred the OP we had 1 AFK. So decided to test what would happen. 

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well I knew the OP could be done with 6 players since nice first time I 5 starred the OP we had 1 AFK. So decided to test what would happen. 

Quick and painful death?  It's bad enough with the salmon run....  I can't imagine the focus fire plus the torps incoming

[RKLES]
Members
11,031 posts
12,551 battles
1 minute ago, IronStumpjumper said:

Quick and painful death?  It's bad enough with the salmon run....  I can't imagine the focus fire plus the torps incoming

Yeah and those Zao are sitting broadside  in nice row like the old crossing the T formation. So they can bring Torp Tubes, Secondary Guns, and all their main guns to bear on anyone getting up there too early.

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
3 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

My experience with the DDs at the beginning is to hold off on the radar until the DDs are really close, or you can even wait until you detect them without radar.  You do want to rush them right from the start.  I've found they really don't shoot torps that way.

I've had them only fire torps if they've been running awhile and/or one of your group reaches the troop carriers.  Only had it happen a couple times as it seemed that only 1 or two (and I'm one of them) of the team is actually still firing at them.  Usually, it's only 1 dd that gets to fire.  But it has only happened when that condition is met.  Never got fired at with torps until that point.  Heck, I'm not even sure if they fire their deck guns effectively.  I don't recall ever getting hit at that stage even when I'm the closest and hitting them the hardest.

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and those Zao are sitting broadside  in nice row like the old crossing the T formation. So they can bring Torp Tubes, Secondary Guns, and all their main guns to bear on anyone getting up there too early.

I know where I want to go if I ever want to go out in a spectacular fashion.

Members
5,847 posts
6,740 battles
56 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Oh, so that's why they are there.

I was confuzzled as to why WG would put three Zao's on the map, but then have them just run away. :Smile_amazed:

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Oh, so that's why they are there.

I was confuzzled as to why WG would put three Zao's on the map, but then have them just run away. :Smile_amazed:

I'd think it'd be very interesting if they attacked the cv's between phase 1 and 2.  But I don't want to give the devs any ideas....

[RKLES]
Members
11,031 posts
12,551 battles
43 minutes ago, IronStumpjumper said:

I'd think it'd be very interesting if they attacked the cv's between phase 1 and 2.  But I don't want to give the devs any ideas....

Yeah let’s just say if Wargaming ever wanted to make the OP a lot harder, the potential to do so is already there...

• Cool 1

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,353 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah let’s just say if Wargaming ever wanted to make the OP a lot harder, the potential to do so is already there...

It would have the ability to turn the mission difficult, that's for sure.  Pretty much a team into a remake of what happened to Taffy group 3 during Leyte gulf even with heavier ships.  But only if they do it right which would probably mean a big screw up.  Since there is a cruiser mission with Cherry, a Taffy group 3 mission would sound fun for a dd/cvl mission.  But there are too many kamikaze dd drivers out there and even I  would go crazy driving a light cv.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
485 posts
5,078 battles
1 hour ago, IronStumpjumper said:

Well that explains a lot,  in my first go at this map everyone stayed together, defended the beachhead then killed the airfields.  5 star win.  Second go around and 2 cleves peeled off and headed north...  Ya we got wiped out hard. 

[RO-NA]
Beta Testers
6 posts
3,577 battles

I have found that if the group sticks together and makes a straight line on their initial heading, kill DD's, get the cruisers and DD's at the beach, and then turns immediately back towards the carrier meetup it tends to work out pretty darn well. Keep the throttle on the floor. You really don't have to worry much about torps till you get to the airfield portion of the scenario. 

[SYN]
Members
5,469 posts
12,704 battles
3 hours ago, IronStumpjumper said:

...a fickkin' gigantic wall of text...

TLDR:

Beeline to the landing to protect the beachead, quickly killing all red ships you encounter.  Focus any DD spotted.  Always.  Then beeline straight towards the enemy airfields and shell them as soon as they are in range.  But first, prioritise and sink the Atago heading to the south.  Don't get sucked into fighting the other enemy ships too long, they will just keep respawning.

Sign in to follow this