Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lensar

Is spotting and capping XP bugged?

31 comments in this topic

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles

dQAgdO9.jpg

136k spotting damage.

WnvZ067.jpg

Nearly last place.

6RUlaCz.jpg

134k spotting.

87k damage.

1 Kill.

f2NvYyE.jpg

Middle of the pack.

mPc32Uw.jpg

35k Spotting

1 solo cap (60 cap points)

23k Damage.

0 Kills.

f3FPZ3T.jpg

Second to last.

Did WG disable rewards for capping and spotting or is this a bug?

Seems like kills and damage are the only things that increase score.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[KSC]
Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

I've noticed something seems to be wrong with base XP after the patch as well.  I'm getting much lower numbers than I did prior to the patch, and I play mostly DD's.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts
9 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

I've noticed something seems to be wrong with base XP after the patch as well.  I'm getting much lower numbers than I did prior to the patch, and I play mostly DD's.

its all about hotdogs n marshmellows

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,575 battles

I think the fact that you got 1100 base xp despite only doing 23k damage means capping is still being rewarded pretty well. Spotting adds some, but not as much as damage - which is still king. 

Members
2,707 posts
509 battles

not sure if these a difference or not, but I do know that after EVERY PATCH... confirmation bias confirms a difference in SOMETHING prior to the patch...

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,327 posts
16,574 battles
13 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

not sure if these a difference or not, but I do know that after EVERY PATCH... confirmation bias confirms a difference in SOMETHING prior to the patch...

Which is exactly how they get away with it :Smile_trollface:

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles
2 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

think the fact that you got 1100 base xp despite only doing 23k damage means capping is still being rewarded pretty well. Spotting adds some, but not as much as damage - which is still king. 

Not at all.

Compare the first and the last. Or all three:

First one I did 1.7k damage and got a 643 score.

Second one 87k damage 1634 score.

Third 23k damage 1144 score.

I think damage is all that matters, with a bonus for kills.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,306 posts
8,386 battles

Just played groz, Z-52 and Shima in a row, it was working fine. Maybe a bug? Patch often come with bugs, maby its one. 

Edited by Xlap

[WOLFB]
Members
3,075 posts
12,819 battles

It's not bugged, it's "working as intended".

You can cap or even solo cap severals time, your rewards will still be garbage if you don't do damage. As long as you deal damage, you'll receive a good reward.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles

@Radar_X

I'm not expecting a response, but be great if you could pass this onto the right folks that could see if there's some kind of odd bug happening.

Members
5,202 posts
9,487 battles

I don't recall spotting damage ever yielding much XP. Had a ~270k spotting damage game in Z-52 several months back with poor XP earnings. 

DD support functions are being rewarded less and less unfortunately. Case in point, they nerfed the XP for capping. Gone are the days of topping the scoreboard with 5 solo caps and 0 damage. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

In the interest of a data point, I had a Kagero game last weekend - no screenshots, unfortunately (you'll see why), so this is from memory.  

Tier 8 match, so no bonus from being low tier

Something like 9K damage done, albeit some of that to an enemy DD.  Probably a defense ribbon or two.  0 kills.

Probably a few spotting ribbons, but 1100 (i.e., ridiculously low, I do remember that number) damage from spotting.

Two caps - both credited with the "base capture" ribbon, though I may not have had 100% of the points.

Something like 1300 base xp in the victory - which, considering, I thought more than fair.

So, essentially, a game in which all I did was cap.  I do think there are different built in expectations for different ships - maybe Kagero is being given a break?

EDIT: Oh, I did shoot down three planes.  So maybe a man-bites-dog base xp bonus?

Edited by Lillehuntrix

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,939 battles

I cant speak for the last update, because i only have a couple games since.

But for some time i have tried to determine the actual values for spotting, capping, and potential.

Lately i am thinking they act more like a bonus multiplier for xp gains.

Ex. If you do nothing else, small reward. The more damage you do, the more they reward.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
On 30/06/2018 at 4:57 PM, neptunes_wrath said:

Like that time confirmation bias got us all into thinking there was a bug with armour and AP was doing crazy stuff a few patches back and WG had to.fix it, but that's all in our minds.

• Cool 1

Members
1,413 posts
8,824 battles

Remember not to read too much into damage numbers.  We know the game actually calculates experience rewards on percentage of the enemy's hitpoints removed, not raw damage values.  Hence, 20k damage done to an enemy destroyer is worth about 4 to 5 times as much as 20k damage done to an enemy battleship.

I wonder if spotting damage works the same way and spotting enemy DD's is worth far more than spotting enemy BB's?  This would mean you might get curiously low values from seemingly high spotting damage if all you were doing was keeping a couple of BB's lit while your team shelled them.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles
2 hours ago, Vaidency said:

I wonder if spotting damage works the same way and spotting enemy DD's is worth far more than spotting enemy BB's?  This would mean you might get curiously low values from seemingly high spotting damage if all you were doing was keeping a couple of BB's lit while your team shelled them.

I dunno. 23k damage, 1 cap, and only 35k spotting damage and my score is 1144.

2k damage, 0 cap, 135k spotting damage and my score is 643.

If 21k more damage and 1 solo cap was enough to boost me to 1144, hard to argue that spotting is given any weight in the score at all.

• Cool 1

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles

Had a tough match, at least on my flank, but we managed to win.

6rIaXjw.jpg

41k damage.

198k spotting damage.

Should put me in the top 3 or 4 you'd think, right? Well, not quite...

wnZSU78.jpg

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
225 posts
9,376 battles

I am nearly certain fire and flooding only give a fraction of regular damage for experience   I have begun to suspect that torp damage gives sligjtly less as well, but wouldn't swear to it.  Spotting gives very little.

In this example you farmed low damage from BBs, one a t8.  Low exp isn't surprising.

Members
3,064 posts
1,923 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 12:13 PM, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

I don't recall spotting damage ever yielding much XP. Had a ~270k spotting damage game in Z-52 several months back with poor XP earnings. 

DD support functions are being rewarded less and less unfortunately. Case in point, they nerfed the XP for capping. Gone are the days of topping the scoreboard with 5 solo caps and 0 damage. 

On 7/1/2018 at 12:58 AM, AlcatrazNC said:

It's not bugged, it's "working as intended".

You can cap or even solo cap severals time, your rewards will still be garbage if you don't do damage. As long as you deal damage, you'll receive a good reward.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:52 PM, c3shooter said:

I cant speak for the last update, because i only have a couple games since.

But for some time i have tried to determine the actual values for spotting, capping, and potential.

Lately i am thinking they act more like a bonus multiplier for xp gains.

Ex. If you do nothing else, small reward. The more damage you do, the more they reward.

Well, then, it's the end of the line for T-22 as a playable ship. Compare what you are saying to how Flamu describes how to play the ship.(spoiler alert: you won't like it)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOO8RLNnhw8

Sigh. Oh, and yeah, back quite some time ago, on the PTS, I tried out the T-22 in Operations(back when Tier Vs could take part in Operations) and absolutely hated it. It was fragile, easy to hit, and took huge damage from everything, the gun arcs were as high as that of a Saturn V Rocket Launch, and the guns stung like a butterfly. That is, they were laughably bad. Also, I found that the torps had a long reload(or at least it seemed long for how bad the guns were) She was painfully slow, not super stealthy, didn't have forward-facing torpedo tubes, and had practically useless smoke.

This was merely my first impression, but I was so disgusted by it I've sworn never to play it on the live server, and rather to someday, once I unlock it, FXP to Gaede's B hull.(the one with Hydro)

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
10,013 battles
6 hours ago, Tibson said:

In this example you farmed low damage from BBs, one a t8.  Low exp isn't surprising.

It's only surprising if you expect that spotting would be rewarded in anyway.

Members
1,651 posts
9,952 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 2:13 PM, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

honestly, they should reward team stuff way more for everything.  from plane kills, to spotting, to even being damaged in a cap that you own or trying to take over.  in WoT, you get half the xp/credits for damage based on your spotting?  i dont see why they can't do that here.  DDs suffer the most imo when it comes to being rewarded for team play.   Quite often i have to choose to make a play to help my team win, or go somewhere and just farm a bunch of damage that may or may not matter.  ideally you want to be in a spot/area that does both at the same time, but that will depend on your team and theirs, and how they play.

make team play more rewarding in terms of xp/credits and you will see more of it from your average player, rather than just trying to do the max amount of damage. 

Members
1,413 posts
8,824 battles
13 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Yeah, that does look pretty convincing.  You got almost 200k spotting damage, but your only personal damage was 3 torpedo hits, all on BB's, for no kills.  You'd expect low rewards from that game if, and only if, spotting experience is worth basically nothing.  So I guess it probably is worth basically nothing.  That's news to me, and disappointing news.  It shouldn't just be a stat that's tracked by the game; it should be rewarded.

[LOU1]
Members
4,022 posts
11,049 battles
40 minutes ago, Lensar said:

"0.5.12 Update Notes

The update happens September 28; preparation begins at 03:00 PT/ 06:00 ET until 05:00 PT/ 08:00 ET.

Improved Economics

We're releasing more equitable calculation of XP and Credits earned in battle via the following factors:

Enemy ships and air squadrons spotted
Damage caused by allies to enemies spotted by you

Potential damage received

The overarching logic behind granting Credits and XP per battle was reworked to include the above changes. If a player carries out "useful" actions (causing damage, fighting for control of key areas, supporting allies), their average rewards don't change, as opposed to how it worked in Update 0.5.11. However, players who focus on "one-dimensional" behavior (battleships that stay away from the heat of battle and only try to cause damage from afar; destroyers who focus only on capturing key areas without recon) won't be as generously rewarded."

AND

"Income (What You Get for Winning!)
There are ways players contribute to the fight that weren’t affecting end-of-battle rewards before Update 0.5.12. With this update, additional factors are taken into account to determine your winnings:

Maximum potential damange taken from hits. 
Number of ships, aircraft, and torpedoes detected.
Amount of damage dealt to targets detected by player.

These measures are in addition to all other end-of-battle statistics before 0.5.12. This increases the winnings for players who serve a more supportive combat role, and incentivizes diverse styles of play."

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/0512-econ-changes/

AND

0.5.12 Economics: Before and After

"Detecting Ships (A detected ship counts towards your score if it isn't detected in the battle before, or went undetected by your team for at least two minutes)

Completely detected team (12 ships) = 1/10 solo ship destruction
Damage dealt to detected ship by player - approx 2% applied to end-of-battle reward
Tanking (potential damage) - 15% applied to end-of-battle reward"

"Type-Specific Characteristics
Since different ships are geared towards different roles in battle, activity rewards mentioned above are set individually for each type, and sometimes even for individual ships. This is based on ship activity that we observed during out study."

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/itstheeconomygenius/

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this