You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
motormouth85

Over-penetrations are getting ridiculous.

14 comments in this topic

[MOO]
Members
58 posts
6,701 battles

Title says it all.  If Battleships are #balanced, then why do so few of my shells stick in their target?  Gneisenau is already 6 barrels of RNG garbage, but come on now.  I don't even spec into secondaries, but my secondaries are doing ALL of my work!

shot-18_06.30_14_27.43-0834.thumb.jpg.b96f35a2da5714ff99e09b88ec5d544b.jpg

The match before this one?  4 pens, 8 overpens out of 62 shots fired.

The match before that?  5 pens, 13 overpens out of 52 shots fired.

I get trollish mechanics, and i get that German BBs are supposed to be played up close, but oh. my. god. I can barely get anything on target, and when my shells do hit, they have a far greater chance of doing minimal damage.  Don't even get me started on having a CV at 7km and failing to kill it because I either overpenned or missed.

Edited by motormouth85

Members
1,776 posts
6,729 battles

Better use HE at close range vs broadside CVs. You will overpen the citadel with AP, but can hit the citadel with HE.

AP vs the superstructure will lead most likely to overpens, try aiming for the hull.

Other than that the topic lacks information.

[SALVO]
Members
23,440 posts
24,062 battles

What targets were you shooting at?  And where on those targets were you aiming?  If any of your shells were hitting DDs, the chances are very high that they'd be overpens, for example.  

Overpens are just the cost of doing business.  Some games you'll end up with a lot of them.  And others, good aim and RNG will bless you with plenty of citadels.  It balances out in the end.

[SPTR]
Members
2,297 posts
1,713 battles
58 minutes ago, motormouth85 said:

Gneisenau is already 6 barrels of RNG garbage, but come on now. 

I second this. OP'ing Cruisers at 12 km is annoying AF. Scharn feels more comfortable IMO...

[MOO]
Members
58 posts
6,701 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

What targets were you shooting at?  And where on those targets were you aiming?  If any of your shells were hitting DDs, the chances are very high that they'd be overpens, for example.  

Overpens are just the cost of doing business.  Some games you'll end up with a lot of them.  And others, good aim and RNG will bless you with plenty of citadels.  It balances out in the end.

I was hitting cruisers.  You know, the things BBs are supposed to be a hard counter for?  The safest thing any cruiser captain can do when engaging a Gneisenau is still perfectly still and completely broadside.  Nothing will happen to them.

Members
2,138 posts
11,327 battles

Hey

I would have to agree that there is something to the amount of issues with BB's; I am seeing a huge increase of overpens, bounces and broken shells than ever before and it doesn't matter which BB or which tier.  They don't get the average damage they used to say a year or so ago.  Some kind of quiet nerf that we aren't being told about maybe?   I'm sorry but even a broadside cruiser or another BB at 12km and you get nothing but overpens, or a broken AP shell on a cruiser regularly, something isn't right and it's nothing to do with aiming, since my shells hit.

Pete

[BIER]
Members
341 posts
5,458 battles

If you're hitting a T5 or T6 cruiser (or an RN one) with a Gneisenau, then pretty much every part of it except the citadel box is gonna be an overpen, because your shells are just so powerful. This happens with pretty much all the BBs.  On T7+ you should expect a lot more pens, but a corresponding decrease in Citadels.

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
421 posts
6,363 battles

^ This. ^  It's not really that BB's "always" over penetrate, it's that you're not aiming for the citadel.  To be clear, BB shot placement is about consistency due to RNG dispersion.  If you are getting nothing but over penetrations with a majority of your salvos, then it is an indication your aim is off.  Basically, whatever you're doin isn't working so you should change it and see what happens.  I don't see citadels and penetrations with every salvo, but if my aim is good, they will happen on a more regular basis.  

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,254 posts
9,975 battles

Aim about a pixel or two below the water line, in the thickest part of the ship between the turrets.

[B2P]
Members
248 posts
5,761 battles
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, motormouth85 said:

I was hitting cruisers.  You know, the things BBs are supposed to be a hard counter for?  The safest thing any cruiser captain can do when engaging a Gneisenau is still perfectly still and completely broadside.  Nothing will happen to them.

Let's be fair, this is a Gneisenau. Only 6 guns with some of the worst German dispersion available. Gotta run the dispersion module for -7%. 
Aswell, you have to aim very low into the water line with German 380mm guns because of flat arcs, it's a strange thing with German BB. Gneise has to rely on speed and Torpedos to make good games. You best praise the gods of RNG with sacrifices if you ever make a devastating strike. You're best off going Jutland against other BB so you can get damage that way. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Vekta408 said:

Aim about a pixel or two below the water line, in the thickest part of the ship between the turrets.

Basically this. Compared to any other battleship, you gotta aim really really low.

The great velocity of German guns results in a Roma-like deal where you deal great damage against heavy armor, but when it's light armor you just perforate it doing no damage at all. Good penetration, good on ballistics, bad on reliability. So when shooting lightly armored stuff like Cruisers, you have to try and hit as much armor as possible on the belt, which means aiming quite low. If you can get your shells to slam through the torpedobelt and the armor belt, that's likely to arm the shells. BBs with more plunging fire can avoid this, but Germans strike too flat in closer ranges where they belong.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,363 posts
672 battles
On 6/30/2018 at 11:41 AM, LemonadeWarrior said:

You will overpen the citadel with AP, but can hit the citadel with HE.

Are citadel overpens still a thing? I remember when they were and Wargaming said they weren't supposed to be and that it was getting fixed.. That was years ago. 

[VW]
Members
3,371 posts
16,709 battles
On 6/30/2018 at 8:30 PM, motormouth85 said:

Title says it all.  If Battleships are #balanced, then why do so few of my shells stick in their target?  Gneisenau is already 6 barrels of RNG garbage, but come on now.  I don't even spec into secondaries, but my secondaries are doing ALL of my work!

shot-18_06.30_14_27.43-0834.thumb.jpg.b96f35a2da5714ff99e09b88ec5d544b.jpg

The match before this one?  4 pens, 8 overpens out of 62 shots fired.

The match before that?  5 pens, 13 overpens out of 52 shots fired.

I get trollish mechanics, and i get that German BBs are supposed to be played up close, but oh. my. god. I can barely get anything on target, and when my shells do hit, they have a far greater chance of doing minimal damage.  Don't even get me started on having a CV at 7km and failing to kill it because I either overpenned or missed.

Just wait till you get to fdg, that think couldnt hit the broadside of a barn, unless of course you were aiming for the farmhouse!