You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

Nine Spotter Planes ( think 5 golden rings and say it again)

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,119 posts
7,262 battles

This is just plain ludicrous and ridiculous .. what good would 9 spotter planes do anyone when you can't use more than 3 or 4 in any given battle?

Pop plane immediately for 100s
1:40 coverage ends, 228s cool down starts
5:28 second plane up
7:08 coverage ends, cool down starts
11:06 third plane up
12:46 coverage ends
16:24 fourth plane up
18:04 coverage ends
..and yeah 3:48 sec till the next plane... 

So realistically you can squeeze in the use of 4 spotter plane sin a full battle, but the most likely use is to pop up a spotter at least two minutes into the battle, and now we are down to being able to realistically use 3 of the 9 available planes in an average battle that lasts 16 minutes.. 

So this just begs the question of why there are nine planes?

( I know, I should use my time for better things)

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.06.28 - 17.21.24.18.png

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

If you get the captain skill that doubles your fighter / spotter I wonder if that includes those? Never tried that out before... Do you lose 2 each time you launch?

Either way I think you're right... it's ridiculous but I choose the premium for the reload. 

Edited by _ENO_

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cooldown counter starts immediately when a plane is shot down.  So it's theoretically possible to use more than 3-4, although of course if your spotters keep getting shot down that begs the question of exactly how useful they are.

I stopped using premium catapult planes some time ago for this reason, along with the fact that it's rarely necessary to use more than 3 per battle anyway.  The shorter cooldown might come in handy from time to time, but the extra 22.5k credits comes in handy all the time. :Smile_coin:

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,914 posts
3,304 battles
45 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

If you get the captain skill that doubles your fighter / spotter I wonder if that includes those? Never tried that out before... Do you lose 2 each time you launch?

Either way I think you're right... it's ridiculous but I choose the premium for the reload.

From my understanding, it still only uses 1 charge.

The reason for more than 3 or 4, is for when they get shot down. Maybe you're unlucky and have an enemy AA Gunboat near by...

But yeah, the problem comes in with the total cooldown, assuming, upon activation it is immediately shot down, some how. Anyway, going through cooldown 9 times results in 34 minutes 12 seconds. Far more than the 20minuts a battle. 133s cooldown would be needed for you to go through all nine charges, assuming immediate shootdown of the aircraft. For 228 seconds, 5 charges is all that is possible, just accounting for cooldown. In truth, it results in 5.3 charges.

Edited by Counter_Gambit

Beta Testers
1,362 posts

Thing is, the fighter plane is an even worse option. You put planes out to spot for destroyers and torps... the fighter plane duration is too short and it doesn't do squat to help you against carrier planes...most of the time they don't even intercept anyway.

Frankly, they should really give BBs a different kind of AA consumable than other ships get. Instead of AA barrage why not give them 'aerial radar' .... a 2 minute duration 4 minute cooldown radar that spots all aircraft out to 15km or something.

It'd be useful to spot not only carrier planes but also spotter planes and fighter planes from red ships which are normally invisible unless they fly over you. Use of the radar increases the AA range (not effectiveness) of ships within 5km of the BB by 20% or something. 

This way BB's can have some form of active AA defense that is not directly giving them increased firepower per say.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,407 battles

On historical ships in game, the number of spotter aircraft in game matches the number they had room to embark. On the paper ships, it's probably guesswork, and wasn't limited on battleships for game balance reasons (in game, nobody was going to run out anyway)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,817 battles

It makes this captain skill usable to its fullest extent if you pop catapult fighter or spotter plane 3-4 times like you said. Also you can reduce the CD with the premium version, JOAT, & November Foxtrot.

Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
3 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

It makes this captain skill usable to its fullest extent if you pop catapult fighter or spotter plane 3-4 times like you said. Also you can reduce the CD with the premium version, JOAT, & November Foxtrot.

DCFCA only uses one charge. Even if both get shot down, it's one charge for two planes.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

The number of spotter plane consumables is a leftover from when spotter planes were actually considered hangar aircraft. You could actually run out of scout planes before you ran out of consumable charges for some ships, mostly cruisers since they only carried 3.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,817 battles
10 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

DCFCA only uses one charge. Even if both get shot down, it's one charge for two planes.

Hmm you're right, wonder when they changed that. Maybe I'll go DCFCA on my cruisers too.

Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
8 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

Hmm you're right, wonder when they changed that. Maybe I'll go DCFCA on my cruisers too.

It's been like that ever since the skill hit the live server.

When the skill first came out, I chose to take it on my IJN CAs, namely Atago, Ibuki, and Myoko, as those were the one's I was playing quite a bit at the time. Each one got two aircraft for one charge of the fighter plane consumable.