You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

Yubari-yay or nay

Shoulhttps://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/151-japanese-cruisers/?do=add#ipsTabs_tabs_form_form_tab_topic_mainTab_paneld I buy Yubari  

43 members have voted

1. 1. yay or nay?

22 comments in this topic

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

I've noticed that I can actually afford Yubari in the arsenal... and considering that I can't afford much (I have 22 950 coal + 5000 if I finish the combat mission)

Or...

I can wait and hope that Haida comes to the arsenal for coal.

Thoughts?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

WG  confirmed the Arsenal ships will be rotating, so nay for me for now.

Edited by warheart1992

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles

It's a good ship but the real question is what do you want it for? Low tier means less credits and or XP for captains and free XP. If you just want a premium ship she has great guns and AA. She has a citadel bigger than the ship itself however.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,064 battles

Huge waste dude, have it ,got it on a cheap doubloons sale item a while ago, just sits in port.  If you are going cheap, Cambeltown is a lot more fun, have about 270 games in it, can still be very effect (under the right circumstances).

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

I would say NAY; read the LWM review of the Yubari, I would save my funds and get a T6 premium ship.  I love the Warspite, the Dunkerque is fun, the Molotov is good even though it's fragile (better than I thought it would be), the Graf Spee is excellent, the Arizona is good even though very slow.  Wait till T6 if your looking for a premium ship. 

Pete

• Cool 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

If you absolutely, positively must own a low tier DD with a citadel, then Yubari is your boat.  I can tell you though, she is very unforgiving.  I'd say nay, there are far better premiums.  

All that aside, Yubari is great if you can make her work.  My Zao captain sails her from time to time.

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,306 battles

Yubari is great, but not for everybody.

It has a high floor to play her well. Squishy citadel and narrow angle torps. Best AA in tier. It plays like a DD with a citadel, and as a quasi-DD it needs a captain with Last Stand.

A tough boat to make it work. I like mine and play her from time to time. Would I spend coal for it? Probably not.

You also mention Haida. Another tough boat to play well as it also has a high floor. You have to be really good to play either one successfully. Neither one is forgiving of mistakes.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts

i got one way back in beta for some reward its ok for a low tier

but i wouldnt spend arsenal currency on it

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
1 hour ago, warpath_33 said:

I've noticed that I can actually afford Yubari in the arsenal... and considering that I can't afford much (I have 22 950 coal + 5000 if I finish the combat mission)

Or...

I can wait and hope that Haida comes to the arsenal for coal.

Thoughts?

It depends on how much coal you have.  If you only have enough to afford Yubari, unless you are on a Clan Wars team of a highly successful clan, you've got a LOT of coal you're going to need to dig to get to Haida, that is if she's offered for Coal.   If you want you can always wait and see what's going to happen, how much Haida is going to cost and how she's going to be sold.  I mean, it's not like your coal or Yubari are likely to vanish in the meantime. 

[RST]
[RST]
Members
170 posts
14,597 battles

I would have said "yay",  but there was bacon involved. 

• Cool 2

Members
268 posts
4,658 battles

I have her and enjoy using her when I need to help friends get through T4 but I'm not sure I would waste resources like coal on her though. I'd save up for something T7'ish. :)

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Right, I've decided to buy Yubari, but now the question is: do I use the 25% off coupon or save it for something else?

(I did actually get Yubari in this ship quiz thing a while back)

Beta Testers
30 posts
361 battles

I like mine. If you want to train a Captain while dinking around in a CL with preferred MM, where else are you going to go? Outside of training, the biggest problem with Yubari is just that Kuma is so good. 

Here's to hoping we get a tier 6 premium IJN CL or CA someday...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

Yubari is a lot of fun.  That's the opinion of a beta tester with over 10k games worth of experience and a high-level, dedicated captain.  Yubari is /not/ easy or user friendly.  I'd not recommend using coal on her, I'd recommend saving the coal for something better.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles
24 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Yubari is /not/ easy or user friendly.  I'd not recommend using coal on her, I'd recommend saving the coal for something better.

This exactly, she can be a difficult ship and without the ability to switch from Def AA to Hydro, she is just too situational. I bought her off the tech tree when she was half price using discounted doubloons so I don't have much money in her. I was hoping for a Kuma-like ship but instead I find she plays more like a faster version of Katori. Her torp arcs are much less useful than Katori though and you have to expose so much broadside that you can get insta-deleted by even bots in co-op. Of all the low tier cruisers, Yubari is my least favorite premium and one I rarely use, even in PvE to farm a first win. 

Members
21 posts
4,230 battles

Ya know as a massive Yubari fan it pains me to say nay, with the stipulation and in agreement with the majority, but for the fact that is so unforgiving. I enjoy the he'll out of that ship. I play it everytime I'm online. But it's so damn soft. So I would get something else, like the spee. That thing is a beast!

Members
280 posts
9,280 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is a ship in the same tier as Imp.Nik I, Orion, and Clemson.

Nope. :Smile_Default:

but it does get protected matchmaking, like ishizushi, so it has that going for it. Other than that it is difficult to do damage with it. I would like to see the AP shells buffed so it can get cits at long range. So many sideways potatoes down there in tier V, would like to take advantage of it....

Members
810 posts
7,121 battles
On 8/3/2018 at 9:41 PM, bigalow87 said:

but it does get protected matchmaking, like ishizushi, so it has that going for it. Other than that it is difficult to do damage with it. I would like to see the AP shells buffed so it can get cits at long range. So many sideways potatoes down there in tier V, would like to take advantage of it....

With Aiming System mod 0 it's not really that difficult to do damage with. Those 2x2 laser guns are hilarious. I threw my IFHE+DE Mogami captain in it the thing as much fun as the Boyatyr without the cheesiness of out-ranging same tier battleships. I say Yay, very much yay just for the lols.

Specially if you division with new players wanting to get into the game you have a fun boat to mess around with in low tiers with them. The peeds and DFaa is just extra toppings on an already tasty dish.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

With all the low tier CVs chilling out down there these days, an AA spec captain on the Yubari can be a ton of fun.  I killed 16 Langley planes in a match tonight.  I was capping and he had to try and strike me to reset.  The attempts cost him dearly.  She can also do decent damage if you can shoot.  She's a DD assassin.  She's a high floor ship though.  I still do not recommend using any kind of assets to get her.

shot-18.09.02_00.47.16-0526.jpg

[RNG]
Members
51 posts
6,451 battles

I have it but I am not sure that I would spend the coal on it.  It is a fun little ship and if there are CVs in the game that decide to drop you then it is quite formidable.  My only complaint is that its engine gets knocked out every time someone shoots at you.  It is quite annoying.    

Members
1 post
1,383 battles

I say yay.  I having only been playing for a month and have worked up to Tier 9 in Japanese cruisers and Tier 7 in Japanese destroyers.  I sold all of the ships I worked through except the Yubari.  I play it from time to time.  Its a fun ship.  Play her as a destroyer with better guns, worse torpedoes, and worse concealment.  I wanted one lower tier ship and had a hard time deciding between the Yubari and a maxed out Kuma.  I decided on the Yubari as I can use her to train destroyer captains.

Of course, playing the Yubari has got me thinking about the Russian destroyers ...