You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Helena is nowhere near as popular on opening day as I had expected.

45 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Currently it's the least played out of the new CLs with only 45 battles. It has been totally contrary to my expectations because I thought Helena would be the ship players flock to as soon as the line's released. Even Dallas has more battles played than the Helena, and Seattle and Worcester have more battles played. I'm surprised because Dallas and Seattle are widely agreed to be the turds of the line. Come on, play the Helena! It's currently sitting at almost 60k average damage, 53% WR, it's at Fiji and Belfast levels of performance which means it will be hard for me to pull off a good PR in it.... if not any other reason, Lol.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles

A lot of people will have received a Cleveland from the split, and will choose the logical path of working up from that towards Seattle and Worcester.

The market for T7 Helena seems small given the widespread appeal of the T8 Cleveland.

Plus, Helena looks pretty bad in my book.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

I'm still trying to work my way to Helena. I'm sitting on roughly 25k exp on Dallas towards Helena, so it'll still be a while till I unlock Helena.

Oddly(though not really) there haven't been that many Dallas's(Dallas'? Dallasus? Dallai?) out and about. And I've only seen one or two Helena's. Most players seem to really only play this game to get the T10s, so a lot will likely be going from Cleveland, to Seattle, to Worcester. And foregoing the T6 and T7 USN CLs period.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

Not many people have Helena yet.  I expect that you will see her more and more, especially as people discover what 15 rifles can do.

• Cool 1

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

It doesn't do any good for these players to make it to Tiers 9 and 10 because we all know how skilled the 'average' player is. I see worse gameplay at Tiers 8-10 than at Tiers 5-7.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles

I think the appeal of Helena vs Dallas is offset by the need to play or Free XP through Dallas to get there.

It was easy for folks to collect XP on Omaha before the CLs arrived, so getting Dallas is extremely easy.  Apparently, a load number of the players don't have (or want to use) the Free XP to go straight to Helena.

The situation is similar with respect to Seattle just will larger credit and XP numbers needed.  Many folks accumulated XP on Cleveland making it easy to get Seattle quickly.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles

Makes sense IMO. Many veterans will have enough XP on the Omaha to get Dallas immediately. Many will have spent free XP to go from Cleveland towards Worcester.

Basically, Dallas and Helena are both skippable ships for those who had T6 Cleveland, except many don't have to grind/spend free XP to get Dallas. EVERYBODY has to grind/free XP to get Helena.

Myself for example, I don't think I'll like the line, but Dallas will only cost me a few million credits, (I have over 100K XP on Omaha) so why not try it out? If I want Worcester, I can start from Cleveland, skipping Helena entirely. That's where I would spend my free XP if I was going to.

I may get Helena at some point, but it won't be quick (unless Dallas wows me) because I have to grind to it.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles
2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Dallas's(Dallas'? Dallasus? Dallai?)

Dallas is it's own plural.  And possessive with the apostrophe.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Not many people have Helena yet.  I expect that you will see her more and more, especially as people discover what 15 rifles can do.

Put out 106.1 RPM while ships like Belfast and Fiji put out a pretty competitive 96 RPM while having radar and smoke or torpedoes and repair.

Shchors is only 10% behind on gun output but has the far superior shell arcs.

Helena has about 10% more DPM than old T6 Cleveland, though less bow/stern on, fewer HP and 2/3 the long-range AA. T6 Cleveland wasn't brokenly OP, and a T7 that makes trade offs... not that impressive.

• Boring 1

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

or cruisers Dallas

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
180 posts
4,256 battles

I FXP'd the Dallas, don't really feel like dropping even more to skip up to the Helena at the moment. The only reason I even bothered to get the Dallas was so I could eventually get Helena though.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Ah, the one option I didn't type out.

But since I like to be grammatically incorrect on purpose, it shall be Dallai. Now only if there were more players playing Dallas, so I could type that into all chat with at least 4 per side in a game. Sow the grammatical confusion! :cap_haloween:

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles

It's about 115k+ free xp investment to get a ship whose successor you most likely already have. While I don't doubt Helena is a very capable ship, there is not much point getting her at the moment. As for stats, a few months after the patch they will have dropped to more reasonable levels.

I can also imagine there will be a surge in Helena's popularity when the camouflage mission from the contest comes up.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

Man, there were some good camos in that contest.  I wouldn't mind driving the wooden version just to PO the uptight.

• Cool 1

[AFW]
Members
78 posts
22,158 battles

Many people have Cleveland and will grind to Worcester, not bother playing lower tier inferior ships.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Man, there were some good camos in that contest.  I wouldn't mind driving the wooden version just to PO the uptight.

My vote went to the battle damaged one, since an irl friend of mine had made it and I quite liked it. But we both agreed that Gorgon's Wrath should enter the game somehow, maybe as a Halloween camo for Helena. It has that H.R Giger feeling that made it so appealing.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles
5 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

But since I like to be grammatically incorrect on purpose, it shall be Dallai. Now only if there were more players playing Dallas, so I could type that into all chat with at least 4 per side in a game. Sow the grammatical confusion! :cap_haloween:

Too easily confused with Dalai (Lama).  Try Dallae.  Or Forts Worth.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,683 posts
15,135 battles

I got Helena by free XPing past Dallas, a paper ship. Ran two battles in her, and despite the fact that they were both losses, the points totals were fabulous with those 15 6-inch rifles. I had Cleveland for over a year before the split as I had ground the entire old line to T10. I am keeping both ships.  I free XP'd past Seattle as well to get to Worchester. 90,000 hit points in a single fight without upgrades. Another keeper. A Clan Wars/Ranked battles favorite-to-be for the stealth fans amongst us

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

My vote went to the battle damaged one, since an irl friend of mine had made it and I quite liked it. But we both agreed that Gorgon's Wrath should enter the game somehow, maybe as a Halloween camo for Helena. It has that H.R Giger feeling that made it so appealing.

That was probably my second choice, but my vote went to the one that won because it is based on the real Measure 21.  I don't know why WG doesn't use more real camo patterns.

I liked the shark, too, though I feared it might get old after a while.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm happy that the Ms. 21 camo won. We need more measure 21 camouflage for USN ships, it's by far my favorite WWII era camo scheme.

But I'm also a bit saddened that the Great White Fleet camo wasn't in the finalists. That was a really beautiful looking camouflage.

usmPFrD.png

Post from the creator: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/159343-unofficial-post-your-uss-helena-camouflage-contest-entries/?do=findComment&comment=3782203

[WOLF9]
Members
3,134 posts

Like they said:  I already have Cleveland, so no need to grind up to it again.   Also, I didn't care for "FREE KILL- JUST SHOOT ME!" Omaha the first time around,  why grind it AGAIN - for a ship that's roundly considered to be meh at best- and have to grind THAT to get to Helena?    Free xp-ing through a chunk of a ship line just to get to the one I want really isn't my style,  so there they will sit for the foreseeable future.

I'm perfectly happy enjoying my USN CA's right now.   CL's at mid to high tiers have never been my friends... (Cleveland excluded)  Too squishy, and too reliant on HE spamming and island hugging.   And these ones are stuck with the horrid USN 6" balistics and relatively short range to boot.

I DO want the Helena eventually- it looks like it'll be a hoot to play under the right circumstances.   I'm just too busy grinding a bunch of other ships right now to bother.  (and too cheap to burn that much free xp, lol)

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

In the first grind I started to hate Omaha less when I got the C hull.  In the second grind, now with a lot more experience at USN cruisers, I find I rather like her.  Still making the same dumb mistakes and getting blapped for it, but now I recognize that the problem is the captain and not the ship.  I may keep her.

Likewise I'll go slow to Helena, but I will go.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

In the first grind I started to hate Omaha less when I got the C hull.  In the second grind, now with a lot more experience at USN cruisers, I find I rather like her.  Still making the same dumb mistakes and getting blapped for it, but now I recognize that the problem is the captain and not the ship.  I may keep her.

Likewise I'll go slow to Helena, but I will go.

I played a 108k game in Omaha (B hull) last night. That was immensely satisfying after getting stuck in 7s all night.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

Last random I played in Omaha seemed to be all Dallas.  I know what you mean.