You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
YeOldeTraveller

Data nerd uses a spreadsheet for WoWS

27 comments in this topic

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles

[Moved to not sidetrack another thread]

I used a series of spreadsheets and paper logging to track progress in this game.  The purpose is to make the most of my limited resources of time, credits, and XP.

My primary sheet lists all of my ships other than Tier 1 and has the following as its headers:

?? Open Port Slots               ???K FreeXP                 ???K Elite Commander XP Available Credits (MCr) ->

?

Planned Spend Focus
Ship Win Rate Damage (K) XP (K) Frag Survival WTR PR Notes Captain Tier Type Guns Reload RPM Eff RPM Win & Live Planned Captain Skills Unallocated -> ?    

Mostly, this is to reduce the time I spend thinking about what to do next.

I have a second sheet that inventories my Reserve Captains that matches this so I can easily swap them around.

I have a few other sheets in this workbook that are mostly notes related to game mechanics and select inventory items and a log of purchases.

I have a second workbook that include a worksheet for calculated the relative value of Premium Shop bundles including captain skill point value, premium time, credits and doubloons, and miscellaneous consumables.

The third workbook is an inventory of all the captains (1 sheet to each nation with a significant tech tree).  This notes their skills and the ships I expect they will drive (a career progress of sorts).

The newest workbook tracks earnings and costs and creates a summary page with all of the ships sorted on Net Earnings per battle.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,289 battles

Looks good! Definitely the smart way to go about it! Meself i just wing it and end up realizing after the fact that i derped my new cleve commander..:fish_nerv:

Edited by monpetitloup

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles

The thing I get from this is the ability to quickly sort the entire list of available ships.  This allows me to increase my chances for things like the current Indianapolis Marathon.  I still have to actually play well, but it helps to push the odds a bit.

Focus gets items like 1 - Grind 19-point captain, 3 - Get first win, 5 - Play 5 battles, 7 - Grind, 9 - Survive.  I use these to sort quickly into the ships I want to work with when nothing else is going on.  (It also helps me remember what I planned out.)

The biggest issue I have at times is spending more time sifting data than I spend driving ships.:cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,915 battles

Hmm.  I set mine up more for practical tracking of progress through the individual ships.  On the main tab, there's some header stuff (Account credits, account gold, Win/Loss/Draw panel, Free XP, Next ship, some other stuff).  The ships table is:

Line Navy Class Tier Ship (name) XP Next (module/ship) Next (module/ship) XP Cost XP Needed (w/o Free XP) XP Needed (w/Free XP) Credits to UPG Credits Needed to UPG Mod1 Mod2 Mod3 Mod4 Mod5 Mod6 Credits              

Ooops.  Added too many cells to my table.

A guide to the headers:

Spoiler

Line = An arbitrary field, [E = elited tech tree ship, P = premium ship, G = ship on grind

Navy = ship nationality, usually a two or three character abbreviation, i.e. USN, IJN, RN, etc.

Class = ship type

Tier = self-explanatory

Ship = Name of ship

XP = current XP total

Next = Next module to upgrade on the ship, or next ship to research

Next XP = the cost of the next upgrade or ship

XP Needed (both) = how much XP I need to get the next upgrade or ship, with or without using free XP

Credits to UPG = how much it costs to buy all the upgrades for the ship - that gets rolled up into a total above the table in the header section

Credits Needed to UPG = just a comparison of the above field to the amount of credits I have available

Mod1 - 6 = a yes/no field for each of the modules available on the ship.

Credits = how many credits I need to spend to fill out the empty module slots, again rolled up into a total above the table.

I have another tab where I track what the next tech tree ships are that I'm going to buy, one that summarizes my port with various counts (plus a pivot table), one that tracks my win rate (that I probably could remove), one I put in to figure out the best captain skill point distributions (that could also be removed), one to track progress on a Free XP ship and lastly a scratch pad.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

My nerd self wants to do a live tracking sheet, but I don't want to pause after every game to transcribe data. Instead I do a summary that I can update at the end of the night.

5b354f86cdfc3_spreadsheetWoWs1.png.b200009e139c71e3586262c75117d483.png

Beats the heck out of having to open the game to check something.

Also track Inventory categories.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
32 minutes ago, BarneyMM2 said:

I do something similar.  One workbook with over 15 tabs.

15, pah, my spreadsheets laugh at your puny efforts, (and my soul weeps piteously).

My newest iteration of my AAA sheets once complete will posses 62 sheets, and thats just for now.

• Funny 1

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles

Planned spend holds a lot of different things.  If the ship is not fully upgraded, it will hold the cost of any remaining upgrades.  Otherwise, it holds the cost of the next ship. The column to the right of that has the value for those things I will do soon.  These values are SUM'd up and reduced from the Available credits.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,915 battles
3 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7246190

:Smile-_tongue:

Well, yeah Ogre, but that was evident from the thread title!

LOL!

• Funny 2

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
1 minute ago, Carl said:

15, pah, my spreadsheets laugh at your puny efforts, (and my soul weeps piteously).

My wife creates spreadsheets that brings Excel to its knees, and flat up kills Google Sheets.

I use them for performance testing of new builds.  I just about need a spreadsheet to keep up with the tabs incorporated in her spreadsheets.

There are times I wonder if they grow on their own just sitting on the computer.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

My wife creates spreadsheets that brings Excel to its knees, and flat up kills Google Sheets.

I use them for performance testing of new builds.  I just about need a spreadsheet to keep up with the tabs incorporated in her spreadsheets.

There are times I wonder if they grow on their own just sitting on the computer.

Yeah i've had some weird spreadsheet errors whilst working on my latest AAA sheets, like a match function that worked perfectly in one cell and didn;t in another despite the forumlaes being identical. Get to a big enough sheet and excel appears to throw a bit of a hissy fit somtimes. 57mb and counting atm, and only 56 of the sheets are complete and only 59 even exist in partial form.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
2 minutes ago, Carl said:

Yeah i've had some weird spreadsheet errors whilst working on my latest AAA sheets, like a match function that worked perfectly in one cell and didn;t in another despite the forumlaes being identical. Get to a big enough sheet and excel appears to throw a bit of a hissy fit somtimes. 57mb and counting atm, and only 56 of the sheets are complete and only 59 even exist in partial form.

I've spent much of my career pushing software well beyond what the developers ever expected it to have to handle.  You know you have made it when your production database becomes part of the test suite.

[PVE]
Members
8,862 posts
7,262 battles

I'm old, old school. I have a text file where I keep info on my grinds, my ships, my cpt skills and how much to the next cpt pt or ship. Mainly, I use it to keep track of what skill was I working towards, so I don't derp around and get skills when i have free points instead of saving them.

**15North Carolina BB 149.2k  PT, EM, BoS, FP, AFT, (SI, AR)  [stock 99] 75.1k stock (175k Iowa)

The two ** are to remind me that the ship is still partially or fully stock and ships I'm grind that are fully upgraded get one *. Then it is ship name and type, with the number of cpt skills pts in the front. Cpt XP to the next Cpt point. Skills currently on the captain and (skills I am working towards). How much total XP for the stock modules and how much I have to go to fully upgrade the ship. Then finally is the next ship and how much XP to get that ship. When I want to respec the captain, I will put the skills I want to respec to at the very end for a free or cheap respec. I also put 'perm', if this captain is staying on the ship that is being ground.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm old, old school. I have a text file where I keep info on my grinds, my ships, my cpt skills and how much to the next cpt pt or ship. Mainly, I use it to keep track of what skill was I working towards, so I don't derp around and get skills when i have free points instead of saving them.

I started by keeping paper records and going through the ships or the summary to get the values.

I'm still logging the after-battle data on paper.

I have a few fields that show (and calculate for me) XP remaining to next planned captain skill and next ship.  When I am done each night, I note the Free XP, Elite Commander XP, and megacredits, so I know how much further I have to go.  (It also helps when trying to determine what I can accomplish when discounts are available.  I used this most recently on the Upgrade Discounts to know I could get Des Moines Shimakaze, and Monarch in time to take advantage of the discount - and that I had the credits to buy the upgrades.)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,862 posts
7,262 battles
On 6/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, YeOldeTraveller said:

I started by keeping paper records and going through the ships or the summary to get the values.

I'm still logging the after-battle data on paper.

I have a few fields that show (and calculate for me) XP remaining to next planned captain skill and next ship.  When I am done each night, I note the Free XP, Elite Commander XP, and megacredits, so I know how much further I have to go.  (It also helps when trying to determine what I can accomplish when discounts are available.  I used this most recently on the Upgrade Discounts to know I could get Des Moines Shimakaze, and Monarch in time to take advantage of the discount - and that I had the credits to buy the upgrades.)

I've thought about converting to a spreadsheet, but with 179 180 ships in port, I don't think I will take the time to change right now.

Edit: just got Shiratsuyu

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Funny 1

Members
287 posts
4,321 battles

Ha-ha, I actually thought I was the only data nerd keeping a WOWS spreadsheet.  I am put to shame though, since mine only has thirteen tabs.   ;-)

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,438 posts
25,312 battles

I'm keeping one right now on the presence of radar, divisions, the map, mode, and other game information. Planning to collect another 5-600 games. 

I don't track my ships though I sometimes wish I had. I used to depend on Warships.Today to track my progress but the website is dead, sadly. 

[5D]
Members
1,217 posts
7,119 battles

Wait... I'm not the only spreadsheet nerd here?

Yay!

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

@Carl

My big gaming sheets modeled colony development by quarter (for a now-defunct game).  The live sheets measure FEx500, are extremely formula heavy, but only 20 MB for 5 quarters. 

57 MB?!?  Are you using memory hogging objects like controls and graphics and stuff?

I'd like to know what you're doing.  PM, please.

Okay, that did it.  As in a warrior's flashback the mind is drawn to another time.  Here are a couple of snips from my History of that time and universe.

198.15 – The great grey hope

Flagritz LT Hath'tk Mallum publishes a letter bemoaning the recall of his ship without battle.  A Field Node, a senior officer, admonishes him to keep his complaints within the chain of command.  The LT, feeling dishonored, challenges the Node to a duel.  The Node accepts the challenge and as a non-corporeal entity names as champion senior securitybot Little Charlie.  Although the LT is known among his peers as a bodybuilder and a badass, when Werth publishes betting odds that cannot be expressed [in rational numbers], Lord Mallum himself steps in to undergo the Rist’ah ceremony to expunge the compounded dishonor.  Master Node 0x0Q overrules the Field Node and calls off the duel.  LT Mallum apologizes.  Little Charlie says, “Oo-rah!”

200.06 – Den is released

At the request of some, and without prior notification to the Council, Den of Earth and Darth Brawl are scheduled to be released from the dungeons of Neverwhere to take passage on a SAM ship to Looff.

Some time later at the Neverwhere Admiral’s Club a scarred human, obviously an Imperial veteran, inquires as to the whereabouts of Den.  He seems disappointed to learn of the situation, then smiles and orders another drink.  After he leaves, the waitress hears the usually quite proper bartender muttering under his breath, “Well I’ll be damned!” and asks what’s up.  He says, “Do you know who that was?” “Who?”  “That was Admiral Ike Krieger!  None other!  And here I thought the whole thing was just a story.  Well I’ll be damned!  Den had better keep moving, and moving fast.”

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles

Check your PM Though for some reason the size has dropped by a few meg since i last checked. probably because i cleaned out a sheet full of errored formulas that i need to rebuild.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,372 posts
3,646 battles
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7246190

:Smile-_tongue:

....you DO know Ogre joins the Tri-Lambs right?

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
22 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

....you DO know Ogre joins the Tri-Lambs right?

Oh yes. 

I'd actually do something similar if I had the desire or follow through (even though I know just enough Excel to screw things up). :Smile_teethhappy:

[WORX]
Members
1,645 posts
12,703 battles
3 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

?? Open Port Slots               ???K FreeXP                 ???K Elite Commander XP Available Credits (MCr) ->

?

Planned Spend Focus Ship Win Rate Damage (K) XP (K) Frag Survival WTR PR Notes Captain Tier Type Guns Reload RPM Eff RPM Win & Live Planned Captain Skills Unallocated -> ?    

Now My question is why so much work for a game ??? Don;t get me wrong I love excel over Word any time but why in a game ? I mean IMO data collected on 3rd party sites is more the enough for me but I just don;t get why more data? lol. I am not negating my inner speed sheet excel self but isn;t it a little excessive for WOWS?