You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Musashi... Via coal or Free xp?

41 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Ahh the Musashi. Other than the Arkansas and Nikolai (which are 'never' coming back), she is the last BB I have to add to my collection:Smile_teethhappy:. The obvious question is, is free xp or coal better? As of right now I am about halfway to the Musashi with free xp (about 375k), and I have 23,000 coal. If I use the 25% off coupon, I need exactly 100k coal. I dont really want anything else from the arsenal (as much as I want musashi), so it would be easy to put 100% of my earnings toward her, including steel from CB. The two main questions that would make the decision easier is

• Do the arsenal coupons expire?
  • And how long is Musashi going to stay. 

Of course the second one is really not known by anyone, but it plays a major part in the decision, so speculation is welcome. If I was to go blow my free xp on my stock tier 9 grinds, then they said Musashi was leaving, that presents a big issue, because as of now coal is not purchasable, so I can not buy what I have left to grind. But, at the same time I could really use that free xp (Stock Monarch, Amagi, Iowa, AND Alsace)... 

Help!

[MWM]
Supertest Coordinator
274 posts
4,389 battles

I am going the coal route, I have other things to spend free xp on in the tech tree for now.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, _1204_ said:

Ahh the Musashi. Other than the Arkansas and Nikolai (which are 'never' coming back), she is the last BB I have to add to my collection:Smile_teethhappy:. T

I'd whale it... but that's me. You can't buy modules or performance flags by any other measure other than some RNG in crates. Save the coal for those. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
757 posts
3,929 battles

The required amount of convertible XP would be around $65.

I would burn the FXP. You can gain FXP faster than coal because it's not hard capped per day, and there may be something that you may want that is coal exclusive at some point.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
39 posts
1,615 battles
11 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

I would burn the FXP. You can gain FXP faster than coal because it's not hard capped per day, and there may be something that you may want that is coal exclusive at some point.

This sounds good :-)

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,656 battles
4 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

I agree with this.  I'm treating Coal and Steel like I treat Doubloons (only more so as you can buy doubloons).  I accumulate them as I can and use them extremely sparingly.

I am looking at the ships that are highly restricted: SalemFlint, and Black.  (Stalingrad when released.)

I may consider Upgrades that are highly effective (or critically needed) for ships I want to buff, but I have to balance that against eventually having enough to a rare(-ish) ship.

Free XP production can be increased and enhanced.  You can choose to convert Elite Ship XP to Free XP.

[BUOY]
Members
137 posts
7,654 battles
14 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Ahh the Musashi. Other than the Arkansas and Nikolai (which are 'never' coming back), she is the last BB I have to add to my collection:Smile_teethhappy:. The obvious question is, is free xp or coal better? As of right now I am about halfway to the Musashi with free xp (about 375k), and I have 23,000 coal. If I use the 25% off coupon, I need exactly 100k coal. I dont really want anything else from the arsenal (as much as I want musashi), so it would be easy to put 100% of my earnings toward her, including steel from CB. The two main questions that would make the decision easier is

• And how long is Musashi going to stay. 

Of course the second one is really not known by anyone, but it plays a major part in the decision, so speculation is welcome. If I was to go blow my free xp on my stock tier 9 grinds, then they said Musashi was leaving, that presents a big issue, because as of now coal is not purchasable, so I can not buy what I have left to grind. But, at the same time I could really use that free xp (Stock Monarch, Amagi, Iowa, AND Alsace)... 

Help!

Since you're already halfway there FXP wise, I would continue along that route since you can earn as much as you can get per game/day as opposed to relying on RNG and if you're willing to spend real life money you can either directly convert elite xp or buy flags that advance your earnings significantly. OTOH if you use up coal/steel, which can't be bought, you'll be regretting spending it all on the Musashi if you ever become interested in the Salem or want a special module right then.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Just looked at the CB rewards... If I play as much and if my clan gets as high as last season, then I will have almost 2/3 of Musashi if I convert coal>steel. I think the thing to do is re-evaluate a month down the road. Until then, stock Iowa is waiting :Smile-_tongue:

[DAS]
Members
17 posts
7,678 battles

@_1204_ 

What did you end up doing for the Musashi?

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
59 posts
2 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

If you already have Yamato, why waste either fxp or coal on Musashi?

It's a T9 Premium. The Musashi is a reliable credit earning ship.  According to LWM, it earns 75% of what the MO earns and %12 more than a than a T8 Premium. 

Don't have a good game and a T10 line ship will cost you money. 

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,397 battles

I'd say FXP.

There could be more coal-only ships that you like in the future. Save your coal for those.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,740 posts
6,702 battles
5 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

If you already have Yamato, why waste either fxp or coal on Musashi?

Because it's a Yamato a tier lower, with everything that entails.

• Cool 1

Members
301 posts
6 battles
3 hours ago, vak_ said:

Because it's a Yamato a tier lower, with everything that entails.

A nerfed Yamato with worse sigma, terrible AA, that will rarely be top tier anyway. Are there many/any T7 ships that you'll be getting pens on anyway that you wouldn't with most other T9 BBs?

Edited by pinkship9001

[TBOW]
Members
180 posts
1,552 battles

I’m closer on coal to get her. 

On 6/28/2018 at 3:17 PM, _1204_ said:

The coupons reset on December 24th, so if you haven’t spent it yet buy yourself an early Christmas present and then get another coupon on Christmas. No they don’t add up

Members
362 posts
688 battles
On 6/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, NATOMarksman said:

750,000 fxp at a 25 to 1 =  30,000 dubloons.  30,000 dubloons = 125.00 give or take.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
14 hours ago, Gardie said:

@_1204_ 

What did you end up doing for the Musashi?

Well the question answered itself with the upcoming Jean Bart and/or Bourgogne. I have enough coal and more than enough free xp, so I will get both Musashi and Jean bart. Whatever currency JB costs, I'll use the opposite for Musashi. 

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
644 posts
659 battles
41 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Well the question answered itself with the upcoming Jean Bart and/or Bourgogne. I have enough coal and more than enough free xp, so I will get both Musashi and Jean bart. Whatever currency JB costs, I'll use the opposite for Musashi. 

I have the same plan for Alaska/Musashi.

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
84 posts
1,871 battles

So do the Jean Bart, Bourgogne, and Alaska project to be in the game before the Arsenal ship coupon expires on 12/24/18?

I'm about 9k in coal away from the Musashi with the coupon, and have only 350k in FXP so whatever I spend my coal on, it's going to be a long time before I accumulate enough coal to make things interesting again.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,888 posts
3,268 battles

Other thing to keep in mind:
Steel is only calculated, if you have enough to make up the difference. So when you say you have 23,000 coal, and need 100k more, are you factoring in the steel?

To determine your absolute coal value (coal plus steel), you need to multiply your steel by 10. So you have have 1000 steel, you have effectively 10000 coal, that isn't being calculated in the "you need x amount of coal" that is done automatically by the game.

Coal + (steel *10)= absolute coal value.

As for you query on the coupon: no, they never expire. Once used, you won't get another one, until a specific update (I believe the ship coupon will be given back in update 0.7.12, can't remember).

The Arsenal still being new, we do not know if ships will rotate out of the Arsenal or not. So attempt to grab it as quickly as possible.

Choose the "More Resource" option for your daily containers. Guaranteed 400 coal per container. Though the count is just above 300 (307 last I checked), the link in my signature, will take you to a spreadsheet, that shows the "per container" average, along with overall totals obtained, with Average "Coal per container" being close to 500.

But just looking at the guaranteed, and not factoring in your steel total, to get that 100000 coal you need, that's 250 more resource containers. start collecting now.:Smile_honoring:

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
7 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

A nerfed Yamato with worse sigma, terrible AA, that will rarely be top tier anyway.

Have both and play both.  I run Yamato with its legendary module.  Yamato AA is actually on par with Musashi AA in the sense that it won’t save your ship, so that does not matter.  What matters is Musashi is still more accurate than most BBs, and it actually has faster rate of fire and turret traverse than Yamato with legendary mod.  Which in fact makes it better than Yamato at mid to close engagement range.  And being one tier lower is huge, it’s a big reason why Musashi consistently wins more games than Yamato.

Edited by Ramsalot

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
11 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Other thing to keep in mind:
Steel is only calculated, if you have enough to make up the difference. So when you say you have 23,000 coal, and need 100k more, are you factoring in the steel?

To determine your absolute coal value (coal plus steel), you need to multiply your steel by 10. So you have have 1000 steel, you have effectively 10000 coal, that isn't being calculated in the "you need x amount of coal" that is done automatically by the game.

Coal + (steel *10)= absolute coal value.

As for you query on the coupon: no, they never expire. Once used, you won't get another one, until a specific update (I believe the ship coupon will be given back in update 0.7.12, can't remember).

The Arsenal still being new, we do not know if ships will rotate out of the Arsenal or not. So attempt to grab it as quickly as possible.

Choose the "More Resource" option for your daily containers. Guaranteed 400 coal per container. Though the count is just above 300 (307 last I checked), the link in my signature, will take you to a spreadsheet, that shows the "per container" average, along with overall totals obtained, with Average "Coal per container" being close to 500.

But just looking at the guaranteed, and not factoring in your steel total, to get that 100000 coal you need, that's 250 more resource containers. start collecting now.:Smile_honoring:

Yes I know, but this was 4 months ago. I now have more than enough coal. Thabks for the heads up!

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
7 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

Are there many/any T7 ships that you'll be getting pens on anyway that you wouldn't with most other T9 BBs?

It’s not about getting pens on T7 ships.  You’ll be getting pens on T10 ships that you wouldn’t with all other T9 BBs.  

• Cool 1