You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CapinJoethegrey

Economics of Coal

14 comments in this topic

[-UCS-]
Members
6 posts
8,894 battles

The new introduction of the arsenal is my opinion a plus because of the flexibility it gives players, but there is a major glitch in the economics .  Signal flags are a integral part of the game, and the main method of getting them is through the daily crates.   I use just about every signal in some circumstance.  You get 4 signals per group.   If one of those groups is replaced by a bag of 400 coal, you lose out.   Assuming the distribution of signals is random and even,  you would get 5 groups of signals replaced by 5 bags of coal.   That is 2000 coal per 20 signals.   The problem is, the average cost of a group of 20 signals is 6500 coal, which means that every bag of coal you get cost you a bunch of signals over the long run.   I realize you get some coupons for 1/2 price, but only 2 per month, and even at half price you are losing out.    They either need to up the amount of coal per bag, decrease the cost of signals, or give some extra coupons, perhaps an easy challenge mission every day for some 75% off coupons to get the economy back to where it was, and not have the arsenal be a net minus to players. 

• Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,246 battles

I have been watching this change in the daily containers as well and will reserve judgement until things have a chance to play out.   I always pick the signals and camo container but am really looking for signals.  If coal replaces the usual next-to-useless camo I would be just fine with the change, however, I would hate to lose a chance at signals.  I am not upset in any way as the introduction of the new coal/steel economy is a great idea.  Besides, you can't have everything.       

Edited by PrairiePlayer

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

I've received two coal drops so far from daily containers. Both times were in Signals and camo crates. In both instances, I recall the coal replacing the slot taken up by the camo, not a slot taken by signal flags.

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,339 battles

Agree with the OP.

Since inception I got 2 bags of coal, both in TYL. This is instead of 4 signals, the usual, but the previous two days I got TYL with 75k credits instead (twice in two days). I kuch prefer coal or signals, as credits I have more than I can use and are easy to come by by just playing.

have not received coal in Signals and Camo containers yet.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
1 minute ago, alexf24 said:

have not received coal in Signals and Camo containers yet.

First Signals+ container I got yesterday included a bag of coal.

Second, normal payout.

Third (TYL) was a larger bag of coal.

[SRBL]
Members
80 posts

The four containers I collected over the past two days had coal in two but those also had two sets of signals, a camo and an item for the Cruiser Collection for a total of 5 separate items. 

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

I was looking at these numbers too as I always pick signals and camo.  Of the two boxes I recall from yesterday ( haven't been on yet today) I got:

1. Signal, camo, coal

2. Signal, free xp, coal.

I want to say the third one was normal, 2 signals and a camo but I honestly don't remember.  

Obviously, this is a very small sample size and I'll be writing down my results from here on out to get a better picture.  So far though, it looks like signals and camos is a net looser with coals addition.

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,735 battles

Confirmed:  coal does NOT automatically take the slot of camo.  It can replace signals.

Have to say this looks like an economic loss of some measure.  :-(

shot-18.06.28_16.17.11-0968.jpg

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

So far 4 containers, 1 with 400 coal (the 3rd "random" slot from a signals container) and 900 from a failed try your luck.

If anything I'd say up the amount (or missions) of coal we can get, especially if were not getting that small amount from just getting the containers. Look, fine, Steel is more CW/ranked, but :etc_swear: me the price of things, even with a coupon, is insane with how little you get of the stuff. That or drop the prices. Not sure if they were put that high because "oh, the guys that do ranked get a 1-10 transfer from steel to coal or what but having been in a clan since before the bases, pulling in just under 6000 oil (that's obtaining around 600 crates or about 2 a day I think minimum from the day they added it) and I have enough, with a coupon, for a Yubari. From where I'm at at about 30k, to get to even just Musashi, that I'm about 200k from in fxp, if you issued 5000 coal rewards every week, would take me 28 weeks - or 7 months. With a 25% discount. Assuming they added some tier 5/6 ships I don't own it'd still take a month with 5000 a week from missions. from a starting point of 30k and a damn discount. They are literally giving away a tier 7 cruiser for just knocking down challenges over a month, most of which are easy enough. And they tend to give out tier 6 and under ships as rewards pretty often, hell, Okt was a reward ship. So to I think Agile. For way less work and time than this method would be. I've managed to build all this fxp up over maybe 2-3 months, being good about not spending it for a change, actually using my papa papa flags and others, missions, etc. And lets not even get into the fact that if I had the money to convert XP - I could buy EIGHT (8) tier 9 free xp ships, Nelson, and still have some for some modules, not counting the 550k free xp I have saved up.

Look, they wanna make steel for the elites and balance all that around them fine. My understanding was coal was supposed to be a bit more player friendly to those that aren't hardcore players. And so far this feels like the WoT campaign/mission things that they mistakenly balance around the top of the top tier players so that even your average unicom was having trouble getting a tier 5 reward vehicle, that wasn't even that super good, let alone your average player. Look, I get Salem should stay out of a noobs hands, even Musashi even though people can pay their way to that. but the prices they got got going for stuff in general, let alone ships - straight up whack. 

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles

Yeah... the 400 coal at a clip isn't going to cut it.  it will literally LITERALLY take YEARS of playing every day to buy a ship at this rate.  

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,289 battles
On 7/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, JackG79 said:

Yeah... the 400 coal at a clip isn't going to cut it.  it will literally LITERALLY take YEARS of playing every day to buy a ship at this rate.  

Ok, lets look at the Musashi since its the only ship that's available for multiple earned currencies. It's 176.000 coal or 750,000 free XP. Lets say the average person earns 20,000 total XP per day and gets 2 containers. 

• You would earn 1,000 Free XP per day. That means it would take you 750 days to earn the Musashi.
  • If you get 1 coal drop of 400 each day, you would be able to get the Musashi in 440 days. 

Now if you got 3 containers and 37,500 XP per day then:

• You would earn 1,875 Free XP per day so 400 days to earn the Musashi
  • If you average 1.5 (half) 400 coal drops per day then it would take you 294 days

You could of course play more, run Free XP boosting Flags or opt for different containers (TYL gives 900 coal and the new Resource container guarantees at least one 400 coal slot in the container -- I got one where all 3 slots were coal on the PTS). But at the end of the day if you don't run any of economic boosting signals/camos, Coal does allow you to progress faster via the container system. If WG continues to offer missions and tasks that allow you to earn coal faster, then that would make coal the much faster way to earn the Freemium ships than using Free XP for F2P gamers. 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,643 battles
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, JackG79 said:

3 hours ago, h9k_a said:

Ok, lets look at the Musashi since its the only ship that's available for multiple earned currencies. It's 176.000 coal or 750,000 free XP. Lets say the average person earns 20,000 total XP per day and gets 2 containers. 

• You would earn 1,000 Free XP per day. That means it would take you 750 days to earn the Musashi.
  • If you get 1 coal drop of 400 each day, you would be able to get the Musashi in 440 days. 

Now if you got 3 containers and 37,500 XP per day then:

• You would earn 1,875 Free XP per day so 400 days to earn the Musashi
  • If you average 1.5 (half) 400 coal drops per day then it would take you 294 days

You could of course play more, run Free XP boosting Flags or opt for different containers (TYL gives 900 coal and the new Resource container guarantees at least one 400 coal slot in the container -- I got one where all 3 slots were coal on the PTS). But at the end of the day if you don't run any of economic boosting signals/camos, Coal does allow you to progress faster via the container system. If WG continues to offer missions and tasks that allow you to earn coal faster, then that would make coal the much faster way to earn the Freemium ships than using Free XP for F2P gamers. 

With the July coal missions you can earn an additional 450 coal a day.  In addition just for logging in on July 4,9,14,19,24, and 29 you will get an additional 150 per day. That's just shy of 15K coal before any container drops. 

In addition the next update should include a new container option which will give you coal (+signals or free XP).  See excerpt from the Developer's Diary below:

Do you need Coal for your Arsenal?

Choose the More Resources option when you receive a daily container. By doing so, you will find some Coal inside! Also, there is a chance that in slots 2 and 3 you will find Free XP and signals.

d5c91624-7ed6-11e8-b655-d89d6715223c_120

full article is here:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/bulletin-077/

Edited by HamptonRoads

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles

Thanks for the updates guys!  I was wondering which otpion to choose on container drops for the coal, and here it is!! 

Members
810 posts
7,122 battles
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, JackG79 said:

I donno mang. However long coal has been out I've managed to get half of the required coal for that T6 dd already. EZPZ casual grind. *shrugs*

I do see the point with the signal flags getting replaced in crates. But free ship is free. I can't complain too much about that part of it.