Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Went full ADHD on ships UGH

18 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

After seeing so many Worcesters already in game I went ADHD and sold my Roon yea I could have ground the 8 million silver I needed to buy the Cleveland back but I didn't want to wait.  I wanted it now.  I think I'm actually having more fun with the tier 8 version of the Cleveland than I ever did with the Tier 6 version of Cleveland.  I'm finding that it is a very very dangerous little cruiser.  I am a potato with cruisers as I said the other day not afraid to out right admit it.  So now since I did not keep my original Cleveland captain.  Yes I want a Worcester the Atlanta on crack.  But I'm not sure how I should build my captain.  I don't even have my Cleveland upgraded yet I'm working on it.  But this is how I have my captain set up so far.  Help and thoughts on this would be great thanks.

shot-18.06.28_11.16.54-0372.jpg

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts

My preferred build would be pt,  ar, si, ce for the first 10 points ifhe for the next 4. You could build for aa but probably not optimal. I would get de and your choice for the remaining points.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles
4 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Capture.JPG

Seems alright to me. Not too sure about EL but wouldn't know what other T1 skill is good after PT.

Members
3,774 posts

Well I'm hoping to keep this same captain going for Worcester as well.  So I want to have the build done entirely for tier 10 by the time I get to that point I will consider DE but I mean with the HE being pretty good at setting fires as is, is DE really even needed.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
26 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

After seeing so many Worcesters already in game I went ADHD and sold my Roon yea I could have ground the 8 million silver I needed to buy the Cleveland back but I didn't want to wait.  I wanted it now.  I think I'm actually having more fun with the tier 8 version of the Cleveland than I ever did with the Tier 6 version of Cleveland.  I'm finding that it is a very very dangerous little cruiser.  I am a potato with cruisers as I said the other day not afraid to out right admit it.  So now since I did not keep my original Cleveland captain.  Yes I want a Worcester the Atlanta on crack.  But I'm not sure how I should build my captain.  I don't even have my Cleveland upgraded yet I'm working on it.  But this is how I have my captain set up so far.  Help and thoughts on this would be great thanks.

shot-18.06.28_11.16.54-0372.jpg

Just remember that Worcester has no torps.  Even aluminum can-armored Atlanta has torps to make people take a second guess before they commit to pushing into Atlanta's little set of islands.  Worcester doesn't have that deterrence and she definitely doesn't have Des Moines' fast firing 203mm guns slinging HE or SHS AP shells.

As for build:

I recommend for Tier 2 getting Adrenaline Rush.  I do understand why you took JOAT, but the faster shooting guns as the match progresses means great things for your damage output.

For your first Tier 4 skill, it's between IFHE or Concealment expert.  If you have CE you can get a max stealth build.  CE + Concealment Camo + CSM1 upgrade = 9.1km Cleveland detection range, which makes life so much easier.  Your Radar Range is 9.0km.  However, taking IFHE first means you can get more HE shell pens as more zones on a ship can now be penetrated.  Otherwise, without IFHE, you must be very precise in where your shells land on BBs or you get lots of Non-pens and rely more on fires, and fires are very RNG.

So, IFHE or CE for first 10pt skill.

For 14pts, IFHE or CE again, whichever you did not get the first time around.

For 18pts, AFT to bring Cleveland's high powered AA to her max range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Capture.JPG

This is exactly what I'm using on mine.

Members
3,774 posts

I dont really think Cleveland needs DE have a look

shot-18.06.28_11.54.56-0636.jpg

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

You didn't buy the Cleveland before the patch that moved it to Tier 8?

Enjoy grinding back those credits.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,901 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Capture.JPG

Personally, I take a 1-2-2-2 build on mine.  I dump Priority Target for Preventive Maintenance, and lose Expert Loader and AFT completely.  Then add Expert Marksman at 2-point, and Demolition Expert at 3-point.

If I were to use this 2-1-1-3 build, I'd take PM and the long range artillery skill (Incoming Fire?) at the 1-point level.

But that's just my preference.  There are a number of viable options.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

I'm just sad you sold your Roon.  It is good counterplay to all those USN cruisers struggling to hit you at 15 km.  Promise you'll buy it back later?

Members
3,774 posts
32 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Just remember that Worcester has no torps.  Even aluminum can-armored Atlanta has torps to make people take a second guess before they commit to pushing into Atlanta's little set of islands.  Worcester doesn't have that deterrence and she definitely doesn't have Des Moines' fast firing 203mm guns slinging HE or SHS AP shells.

As for build:

I recommend for Tier 2 getting Adrenaline Rush.  I do understand why you took JOAT, but the faster shooting guns as the match progresses means great things for your damage output.

For your first Tier 4 skill, it's between IFHE or Concealment expert.  If you have CE you can get a max stealth build.  CE + Concealment Camo + CSM1 upgrade = 9.1km Cleveland detection range, which makes life so much easier.  Your Radar Range is 9.0km.  However, taking IFHE first means you can get more HE shell pens as more zones on a ship can now be penetrated.  Otherwise, without IFHE, you must be very precise in where your shells land on BBs or you get lots of Non-pens and rely more on fires, and fires are very RNG.

So, IFHE or CE for first 10pt skill.

For 14pts, IFHE or CE again, whichever you did not get the first time around.

For 18pts, AFT to bring Cleveland's high powered AA to her max range.

I'm considering IFHE but then again I'm also wondering if IFHE is even necessary for Cleveland.  I'm thinking I'm going to go CE.

Edited by torpsRus

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,185 battles

I took Worchester out twice. She is Minotaur on steroids without smoke or torps, with a 19km reach from behind cover and excellent guns with a good ROF. I scored over 80,000 hit points in her in both outings with three sinks with only a 10-point captain in her. In the hands of a good player (which I am not!) she is definitely hard to counter without radar because she relies on shooting from cover. I never sold out my Cleveland, that would be sacrilege!

Beta Testers
766 posts
5,849 battles
6 hours ago, torpsRus said:

I'm considering IFHE but then again I'm also wondering if IFHE is even necessary for Cleveland.  I'm thinking I'm going to go CE.

IFHE is an absolute MUST for the US CLs.

[-WPG-]
Members
727 posts
3,133 battles

Yeah having anything less than a 14 point captain is going to make the grind to the Worcester absolutely horrible, because you pretty much won't be able to damage anything other than destroyers. I'd take IFHE first so you can get some damage in for more XP and grind faster.  Without it, your will be unable to pen anything other than superstructures on even many T8 cruisers. The T8s Atago, Hipper, Mogami, for example, are completely immune to 152mm HE -- again, except for superstructure.  Hope you have good aim.  It gets worse at T9 and T10. 

So you're 80% dependent on fire for damage.  And fire resistance gets high on T8+, so that's going to make a long grind without IFHE. 

[-K-]
Members
5,049 posts
8,934 battles
17 hours ago, Lert said:

Seems alright to me. Not too sure about EL but wouldn't know what other T1 skill is good after PT.

Pretty much.  Worcesters guns reload quick enough that they're always loaded, so I figured in case I needed an emergency switch, it was the best second choice at level one.

16 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

Personally, I take a 1-2-2-2 build on mine.  I dump Priority Target for Preventive Maintenance, and lose Expert Loader and AFT completely.  Then add Expert Marksman at 2-point, and Demolition Expert at 3-point.

If I were to use this 2-1-1-3 build, I'd take PM and the long range artillery skill (Incoming Fire?) at the 1-point level.

But that's just my preference.  There are a number of viable options.

To each their own, depending on playstyle.  That's the beauty of it.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

Wooster is similar to Belfast in that if you get hard charged by a heavier opponent, you're going to feel the pain. It'll take some time for the masses to figure it out, just like it did in the ranked season that featured Belfast.

Sign in to follow this