You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

To Molotov or not?

17 comments in this topic

Members
207 posts
4,253 battles

I recently got the De Grasse and the Perth and am really enjoying them. My question is would I enjoy the Molotov? Does it play similar? Tier 6 cruisers seem to be a butter zone for me.

Members
27 posts
2,137 battles

I feel like with Molotov, it has superior guns, similar to Kirov with high velocity and good HE and AP shells but slower reload times, but better (apparently, I haven't played Kirov). However, I'm pretty sure it sacrifices AA, detection, and turning radius for it. 

Also, it has all the armour of a light cruiser, so it's a glass cannon. 

Speed is average, I guess the best comparison for you is a slower, less maneuverable , with worse AA, but better armed (but probably more easily detected) De Grasse. 

I play it as a second line ship or on the flanks, either where the BBs rush so I can spam HE or I can use the AP on broadsides.

Edited by Aghostinthetank

[-DOG-]
Members
189 posts
3,096 battles

36 knots is average?  Not really.  I usually have to slow down for DDs to get ahead.

Its a glass cannon.  If you liked the Kirov, you will like the Molotov.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

When Molotov first came out in the old MM, she was Broken OP.  Consider that in the old MM she used to face things like Kuma, Tenryu, Phoenix.

However, with the current MM she is frequently seeing opposition of higher tiers where Molotov is no longer that special.  Even the Tier VIII BBs can accurately nail Molotov at range.

Molotov for Tier VI is still very strong, but she has always been soft and easy to kill.  With today's MM, she sees more higher tier opponents that hitting Molotov isn't a problem for them.  Hell, some of those Cruisers like Atago can creep up super close and say, "SURPRISE!" with a short ranged AP salvo.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,415 battles

Month or two ago, we had the mission for the Russian Commander.

Needed a Tier 6 and above Russian ship.  I had fully completed the Bogatyr and Isyaslav.  Looked at the missions -- needed a cruiser.

So the choice was either Molotov or Budyonny (starting out stock).  Hashing over the mission details...  Decided the Budyonny was the better tool for the job.

Some of the missions required me to get in close and hit something with a torpedo..  Moletov is too fragile for that - except several tries in a suicide run.

There were other details as well, so I spent the Free XP to get me there.  Got the mission done.  This mission took me to 35% through  the Budyonny grind.

I bypassed the Kirov and Svietlana, but I'll catch up with them...

Irony>>>>>>   I put the new 'Victor Z' captain on the Podvoisky..  lol

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,227 battles

De Grasse is more versatile than Molotov and is easier to play.  I have both and don't really consider them similar in play style.  The Molotov has excellent guns with great long range accuracy, but the soft armor and poor turning radius takes some getting used to.  There is another problem in that Molotov has such a reputation for being a glass cannon that it gets focused quite a bit as an easy kill.

I have played many more matches in the Molotov and have had some great results with it, but the De Grasse is more fun for me to play.  

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,064 battles

Molotov is a good ship, guns are great.  Molotov tiers up well, guns make it competitive.  Key is to be able to use spotter plane and hit targets at long range.  Molotov is good in random, but for ranked and operations the slower firing guns do not work as well verses the more rapid firing lite cruisers.  I enjoy it, and would recommend as part of your tier 6 cruiser rotation.

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,045 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Molotov for Tier VI is still very strong, but she has always been soft and easy to kill.  With today's MM, she sees more higher tier opponents that hitting Molotov isn't a problem for them.  Hell, some of those Cruisers like Atago can creep up super close and say, "SURPRISE!" with a short ranged AP salvo.

Likewise, Molotov has no problem providing those same T8 cruisers with multiple citadel salvos when they get too full of themselves. Donskoi guns after all.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

[S0L0]
Members
850 posts
4,625 battles

I like mine, but it is VERY fragile, and the guns are almost too good. It's very pass/fail. If you aim correctly, citadels for days. Aim just a bit off, nothing but overpens. Angle right, and you can bounce a surprising amount of AP, but if you show just a bit too much broadside, instant deletion.  Most operations it isn't very good, but for Killer Whale, it's a beast. I did a huge amount of captain grinding for my Russian 19pt captain last time it was in the rotation.

Matt

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,165 posts
8,772 battles
6 minutes ago, mobryan said:

I like mine, but it is VERY fragile, and the guns are almost too good. It's very pass/fail. If you aim correctly, citadels for days. Aim just a bit off, nothing but overpens. Angle right, and you can bounce a surprising amount of AP, but if you show just a bit too much broadside, instant deletion.  Most operations it isn't very good, but for Killer Whale, it's a beast. I did a huge amount of captain grinding for my Russian 19pt captain last time it was in the rotation.

Matt

I like mine too. I have an excellent WR in her but a slightly below average damage output. I feel it is an excellent RU cruiser trainer and even if you don't need that an all around fun ship.

[KP]
Members
1,996 posts
18,433 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I recently got the De Grasse and the Perth and am really enjoying them. My question is would I enjoy the Molotov? Does it play similar? Tier 6 cruisers seem to be a butter zone for me.

It has the same rail guns as the Tier 9 Donskoi on a crappy reload with a less than tissue paper thick hull.

Buyer beware you will love it, hate it or leave it in Port for a year and a half like I have as there are way way better options now at tier 6.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,570 battles

Molotov is one of my favorite cruisers for some operations, because of it's citadel collecting ability.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

I LOVE the Molotov and the T-5 Kirov as well. They both have a high skill ceiling but if you know how to play them you will love them. I have heard there are better options at T-6, for me they still are my favorite lower tier cruisers. I used her to complete the shoot 30 planes down quest, with a high point captain build and defensive fire, she shreds strike packages.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I LOVE the Molotov and the T-5 Kirov as well. They both have a high skill ceiling but if you know how to play them you will love them. I have heard there are better options at T-6, for me they still are my favorite lower tier cruisers. I used her to complete the shoot 30 planes down quest, with a high point captain build and defensive fire, she shreds strike packages.

do you run an AFT captain in it? What boat is that captain's home?

30 planes seems... like a lot.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

do you run an AFT captain in it? What boat is that captain's home?

30 planes seems... like a lot.

lol I did it in two missions, my 19 point Moskva captain drives her and yes he does have AFT.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,882 posts
3,538 battles
41 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Likewise, Molotov has no problem providing those same T8 cruisers with multiple citadel salvos when they get too full of themselves. Donskoi guns after all.

you can cit any cruiser in the MM spread at max range with spotter plane up

OP open the wallet and do it.