You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Izumo: Is She Really As Awful As Her Rep Says?

26 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,593 posts

I've gone through a lot of reviews and they are generally badbote or mehbote at best.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I unlocked her a week ago and am wondering if I should even bother getting her.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     TBH, there really isn't any +T9 ship that I want. The only one I'll end up with is Conquorer.

Edited by TheGreatBlasto
Bizarre formatting bug. Can't fix it.
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles

Don't ask me.  I'm one of the weird ones who liked (and did well in) Izumo. :Smile_hiding:

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

I liked it, the Nelson reminds me a lot of it (I just wish the 3rd turret could function like the Nelson's does).  Dispersion can be troll'ish sometimes, but with the right build it's pretty tanky and overall it's better than the FDG in my opinion.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

Tier IX BBs have a very awkward reputation.  They're the bridge between some of the most beloved BBs in the game at Tier VIII and the zenith of Battleship power at Tier X where they are all bada$$.  Then you got Izumo, FDG at Tier IX.  Iowa is much more doable these days after her many buffs but people still find her a bit uncomfortable.  The only one I say that is more widely acknowledged as great is Alsace.

Anyways, for Izumo, the one thing she has is pretty decent gunnery.  On the receiving end, her accuracy and power is respectable, but her turret arrangement isn't.  Maybe if she had a Nelson arrangement she'd be better, but the current turret arrangement is awful.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,192 posts
8,798 battles

Here is my opinion on the Izumo. **++**??!!***@XX??$$**??!!?

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,260 battles

I dont have anything to compare her to as she is my 1st T9 ship but I gotta say so far I like her! Shes very tanky with good guns so she gives as good as she gets. Where I have problems is when I get focused by multiple CAs but I dont think any other BB would fair a whole lot better. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,700 posts
3,468 battles

Play it like you're an American BB for the most part and forget that you even have a "rear" turret. The guns themselves are among the best you'll ever use, but the platform leaves a lot to be desired. She needs a lot of careful positioning because of her odd design and awful concealment. She fairs about the same as Iowa week to week and that hasn't changed for years now. So she's not as bad as people say, but she's definitely a black eye on the IJN BB line that is generally so much fun once you slog past the Myogi.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

My masochist side finally gave up on Izumo once I unlocked the C hull.  I free xped the rest of the way to Yamato.

Izumo definitely isn't as bad as the reviews suggest.  She's so, so much worse.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Izumo: Is She Really As Awful As Her Rep Says?

6 on one side half a dozen on the other

[WOLFB]
Members
616 posts
21,841 battles

You don't get call a "party girl" by staying home Saturday night with your parents!

( If it quacks like a duck?) 

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

Click me

If you build it out like this, it is basically the same build and skills you'll need for the Yamato, it's got a pretty great tank if you know how to position yourself, and the concealment can get down to 14.5km.  It's not great, but it's usable.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles

The Izumo's saving grace is that her guns, particularly after getting the C hull, are pretty good.  The Izzy's down  sides are that crappy C turret (due to facing to the rear rather than the front), her enormous size (terrible concealment), and being a bit on the squishy side.

Turning her C turret around would be a nice start to improving the Izzy.  And it'd be nice if she wasn't so damned squishy.  But she's always going to be a big, easy to spot, ship.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,685 posts
10,025 battles

I think she's bad, but I wouldn't nail my colors to the mast on it.

I'm entirely certain I had little to no fun in her though.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

I struggled with it at first, but once I got the hang of her, I did "server average" in her. As far as "liking" the Izumo, again, once I got the hang of the ship, she wasn't bad at all, but that's subjective.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,957 posts
12,479 battles

Izumo is a very flammable, mediocre hull with temperamental armor and 9 very good guns in an awkward layout. The whole ship would be so much better if they just flipped #3 turret to look forward.

Members
702 posts
9,924 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

Izumo is a very flammable, mediocre hull with temperamental armor and 9 very good guns in an awkward layout. The whole ship would be so much better if they just flipped #3 turret to look forward.

You think if we complained about it some more WG will change it?  I mean even if they flipped the gun around, I highly doubt it will heavily impact Musashi sales because 460mm guns.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,957 posts
12,479 battles
2 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

You think if we complained about it some more WG will change it?

Nope! WG is perfectly happy having underperforming free XP walls in their tech trees and probably puts them there on porpoise.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nope! WG is perfectly happy having underperforming free XP walls in their tech trees and probably puts them there on porpoise.

I think it's more like putting any more effort into the ship isn't going to be worth the time and money spent to do so.

Sure it could be as "easy" (in quotes because I don't know how difficult it would really be) as flipping the third turret around and moving around some internal bits, but I can't recall a single time that WG has significantly altered the model of a ship after release. Maybe the time they added AA guns to turrets?

In any case, changing Izumo's turret isn't going to change the fact that players will not spend that much time or money on her when Yamato and Musashi exist.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,407 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I've gone through a lot of reviews and they are generally badbote or mehbote at best.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I unlocked her a week ago and am wondering if I should even bother getting her.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     TBH, there really isn't any +T9 ship that I want. The only one I'll end up with is Conquorer.

She's an abrupt change from the Amagi.

She's slower, her secondaries and AA when upgraded are ok, but nothing special. Her armor is ok, and she lives or dies by angling, and that's nothing new. Her rudder .... well she has one, but that's not saying much.

Her turrets aren't actually that awkward if you're engaging targets over the front, they work exactly like the guns on the North Carolina or Yamato, just with limited firepower to the rear. A funny side effect of the all guns forward arrangement, is it makes her guns effectively more accurate than the numbers would indicate. If she gets all 9 guns into something at short range, they're all coming in at the same angle, unlike the Yamato, who's forward guns might be close to broadside, and the aft guns might hit at a 60 degree angle.

As others have pointed out, she's a rite of passage to get a Yamato, grind your way though her, and you're ready for the big guns. Too bad too many people free XP their way past her to get the Yamato, then have no idea how to use her effectively. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,407 battles
1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

I think it's more like putting any more effort into the ship isn't going to be worth the time and money spent to do so.

Sure it could be as "easy" (in quotes because I don't know how difficult it would really be) as flipping the third turret around and moving around some internal bits, but I can't recall a single time that WG has significantly altered the model of a ship after release. Maybe the time they added AA guns to turrets?

In any case, changing Izumo's turret isn't going to change the fact that players will not spend that much time or money on her when Yamato and Musashi exist.

The only one that comes to mind was Furataka's new top hull. When I ground though her, the top hull was still 6 single turrets.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,092 battles

One of my least favorite grinds- got so sick of it, used free exp on the last half.  If you have enough free exp, I would recommend using it if you really want to get to the Yami 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,494 battles

I must admit that I didn't like Izumo much. The issue for me is there is so much of her to hit and she is very, very easy to spot. She is a shellfire magnet but she doesn't tank the damage that well. She is also surreally ugly. When you are sailing her you don't even get the option of turning away so that her ugliness doesn't taint your screen. 

I noticed people complain a lot about FdG. That one I have no idea why though since I don't have her.

Iowa is fine, people just sail broadside with her a lot (and she has a very long hull to hit if you do) and they overextend a lot due to her high speed. 

I like Alsace. IT is very flexible and fun, but BBs who know how to angle (cruiser too) can give her fits. 

I haven't heard much about Lion one way or another and I don't have her to comment. (This Lion doesn't roar maybe?) 

[CAST]
Members
1,160 posts
7,195 battles

The Izumo is like driving around in a big giant blinking beacon that says "shoot me because I'm gigantic and flammable".  I was happy to get out of this ship and into the Yamato.