You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

16 comments in this topic

[KTFO]
Members
243 posts
1,273 battles

Hello everyone. New guy here. A preface: I have a penchant for ambitious, if not outright courageous military equipment designs. The Strv-103, Sweden's tank-with-no-turret. The MiG-25 Foxbat, a fighter jet made of steel. The 44-knot Alfa class submarine, with its lead-cooled reactor. And, not least of which, MN Richelieu. The French battleship with all-guns-forward.

I love these designs with their oh-so-obvious shortcomings. They dare you to beat them. "Surely you can see my weakness, but exploiting it is another matter!" It should then come as no surprise that with Richelieu implemented in this game, I look forward to playing it, especially considering it has not been artificially crippled by some asinine "Siege Mode." I am not far from graduating from Lyon, and soon Richelieu shall be in my grasp. But I am very new to this game.

The captain I am building so far has Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, and Concealment Expert. As further evidence of how new I am to this game mere days ago, the very first french battleship captain I began, I gave him Last Stand. :Smile_teethhappy: Ultimately I intend to add to this current captain Advanced Firing Training, Fire Prevention and Preventative Maintenance. When Richelieu is mine, I shall be conflicted in my choices for modifications. Shall I further protect the Main Battery with MAM1, or shall I try to protect Richelieu's plethora of AA and secondaries with AAM1? Is the slightly reduced fire and flooding chance worth it, or shall I plug in the Engine Boost mod I got in a supercontainer today? Shall I try to reign in the heinous dispersion of the French battleship with Aiming Mod, or shall I further commit to the secondaries by extended their range beyond 10km (I am leaning toward the latter, I play for fun)? The last two slots are obvious, at least. Without Basics of Survivability I definitely need DCM2 and Richelieu needs all the concealment it can get.

There is limited utility in hemming and hawing over what I'll do WHEN I get the ship, but I am still in the honeymoon phase of this game, and wanted to talk to someone about it. Clearly I am leaning towards what you would call a hybrid secondary/survival build, hoping to flank enemies with Richelieu's great speed, decloak at 13km and close to within secondary range of hapless foes (hopefully)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
498 posts
4,086 battles

For your modules, I would not buff the secondaries' range, they are at the rear and shouldn't get used very often. Definitely get main gun survivability because you have fewer turrets than most. People (like me) love to set bow on BBs on fire so you might want some extra fire time reduction.

Your planned captain skills sound good.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,973 posts
2,203 battles

Welcome, @Meeso_Thorny. Getting past Tier VII in less that 400 games is commendable.  I hope you play something besides BBs ever once in a while; it helps your BB game.

How you outfit Richelieu depends on your preferred style of play.  E.g. if you like to close range, then secondaries.  (I trust that you've found the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Richelieu  My Richelieu is outfitted as per it's recommendation (though AA is questionable with the current dearth of CVs).)  Steering Mod 2 is a viable choice in Slot 4, especially coupled with the Vigilance skill, for dodging torps.  But frankly, I don't have many games in her so not much other wisdom to confer.

Let me add one more word: Nelson.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[KTFO]
Members
243 posts
1,273 battles

Thanks guys. I do apologize but I must try having 10km secondaries at least once before can forgo it. As far as Nelson goes, got into my first extended firefight with a Nelson earlier today. As much as it pains me to disparage the Royal Navy's hard work in constructing and sailing the NelRods, it was only then after all these years that I realized what a goofy looking ship that is, with Nelson in my crosshairs. Richelieu at least has speed to it. A certain elegance, like the other two French things I like (Gundam Rose and Opinel knives). Aesthetics are secondary to me but I don't think I could ever bear being 24 knots again.

[PVE]
Members
498 posts
4,086 battles

The first couple of module slots are quite cheap so if you are going to experiment (secondary range vs main gun survivability) that is the place to do it. Sell the old mod for a few silver and you could easily earn back the difference in a game or two.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,662 battles
2 hours ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Hello everyone. New guy here. A preface: I have a penchant for ambitious, if not outright courageous military equipment designs. The Strv-103, Sweden's tank-with-no-turret. The MiG-25 Foxbat, a fighter jet made of steel. The 44-knot Alfa class submarine, with its lead-cooled reactor. And, not least of which, MN Richelieu. The French battleship with all-guns-forward.

Don't forget the Alfa class submarine had a titanium hull which made it unique and it could dive to incredible depths. 

• Cool 1

[KTFO]
Members
243 posts
1,273 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

Don't forget the Alfa class submarine had a titanium hull which made it unique and it could dive to incredible depths. 

There has been some contention on this point, although I am in the camp that believes Alfa could in fact dive to 900m. Some think she was only cleared to go to 350m.

Is there any real argument over DCM1 vs Engine boost mod? Unless I am mistaken it extends "spood beest" from 3:00 to 4:30, allowing you to spend ~11 minutes of a match at +8% horse pressure (you read that right)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,337 battles

I am also looking forward to the RichieLoo.  Not going to use my free xp, though.  That's reserved for the Kronk.

Please keep us appraised of your progress in her.

10km secondaries are great fun.  I really fell in love with them in my Bismarck.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
4,003 battles

i would say to keep the secondary skills,you might need them when you get republique,another unique ship,but never built.

• Cool 1

[KTFO]
Members
243 posts
1,273 battles

Thanks guys! Well my first impression is that she's much larger than Lyon! With the stock hull and such the ship is very unwieldy (20s rudder shift!) and dodging salvoes is not so easy.

But the guns just penetrate anything...On a distant target which would give Lyon nothing but shatters and overpens, Richelieu reliably gets into the target and hurts them. It is taking some time to learn the all guns forward playstyle though! I'm used to kiting in Lyon, eight guns to the rear with a fast rudder. Stock Richelieu is not so nimble and never gets to shoot backwards! You must play your "Kite line" far in advance.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,337 battles

I have been able to kite in the Dunkirk.  It's not the easiest, over the shoulder style.

Give it a try.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,973 posts
2,203 battles
On 6/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, Meeso_Thorny said:

There has been some contention on this point, although I am in the camp that believes Alfa could in fact dive to 900m. Some think she was only cleared to go to 350m.

Right.  There are more components under external pressure than just the hull, e.g. internal piping.  An advancing theory now is that Thresher was lost partly due to a failed weld on internal high-pressure piping probably caused by shock testing.  Normally after shock test a boat undergoes very extensive internal inspection, but Thresher didn't for various reasons. 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,206 posts
7,638 battles

Me, I have mine designated for full secondary usage. She has potential in Random Battles, but she truly shines in Operation Hermes.

[KTFO]
Members
243 posts
1,273 battles

So, I am noticing Richelieu has a unique bag of tools to learn. Some of the tools I am learning are...

Open water dodging: Because Richelieu can bring its full armament to bear on an entire 285 arc over the bow, AND because Richelieu cannot out-turn its turrets: if you absolutely must engage a superior force at long range, keep the rudder hard over at all times in back to back 270 degree turns. I have found the fast and agile Richelieu, at 15+km, despite its size seems nearly unhittable while swinging back and forth at 25+ knots and 4.5+ degrees per second. Speed boost helps here! Meanwhile your own aiming is not really affected at all. Just don't run over your friendlies! I think Richelieu, Gascogne and probably soon Jean Bart are fastest most agile battleships in the game, going by the numbers.

Bow on tanking: To be avoided if possible but sometimes you don't have the room to maneuver, or can't turn broadside without getting splattered, and you have all your enemies in front of you. Richelieu can do more than 13 knots in reverse I think, so if the islands shackling you aren't too long you can often back your way out of trouble alive. Though I strongly dislike a bow-on campfest, a bow-on Richelieu seems fairly intimidating to enemy forces if it cannot be flanked. Just watch out for Yamato and Musashi! Long range secondaries can help discourage the inevitable DD torpedoes this attracts.

Bow-on pursuit: Richelieu's forte! If you are in mid-to-late game and find an isolated cruiser, put them directly on your bow, turn on the afterburners and laugh maniacally as they struggle to set you on fire while you chase them down and turn them into swiss cheese.

Over the shoulder kiting: It is safe to put enemies 180 behind you as you kite away, as long as you're only doing it on your reloads. Even serpentining away, Richelieu is tough to catch. Led a Yamato by the nose around the entire map like this multiple times today, it seems the temptation to go "fangs through the floorboards" is just too much to resist. And my Richelieu isn't even maximum speed yet.

The 3/4 speed setting: Richelieu is fast. Too fast for its own good if you're not careful! If you're headed to support a cap early in the game, go easy on the gas. You can always catch up to friendlies in this ship, so better to let them commit.