You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_of_Satisfaction

The Stall, the Game begins

48 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
601 posts

OK, this keeps happening so I know it isn’t me.  Or is it?

Has anybody noticed, and I can’t imagine people haven’t, that once every game starts in random play, a huge swath of players just sitting there as if stalling to move forward.  As if they don’t want to be the first to be forward of the others.  I will sometimes say, “is the (insert boat name) Kidd afk?” Someone will sometimes say, ‘he must be loading.’  Ok, so if he’s ‘loading’ then why are his guns turning?  He’s just sitting and he’s a DD, and others do it too.  It drives me crazy. 90 seconds later, there he goes.  Oh, he must be playing on dialup, or an 8088 :Smile_hiding:

It is like a passive dance to see who can be the most submissive, or afraid.  I hate to be cynical, but I doubt it is people just waiting to see where others are going, especially when someone has called out the caps.  And that’s not an excuse anyway. 

It just drives me crazy to see such passivity in a war game.  But it is now expected. I mean there are guys trying to drive off the map practically every game.  People perfectly content in giving up two caps for one. Where there is the majority of the team on one cap and we lose on points while people struggle to not be engaged. I certainly don’t like it when players rush in foolishly, get spotted, get focused on and die.  But now it is gone to the opposite extreme.  

Whatever boat I am in, I am always angling or trying to figure out a way to push or take a cap.  I’m frustrated.

World of Warships has become has become World of Wussies.  Say that in chat and watch your karma score drop. Not that you may care.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

I have had ; on a couple of occasions ; been late getting into a match (which is always unusual for me as I am usually there looking at the team line-ups before the clock starts) and have friends who are consistently late ( usually by only a few seconds ; in fact in Clan Wars last season one of my clan mates was always late ) .

:Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,787 posts
3,942 battles

Some of us are aware of how vulnerable we are (e.g. lone Tier VIII light cruiser in a Tier X-heavy match) and are waiting to see which way the rest of the team is going, especially if we are parked dead-centre. I am damn sick and tired of pushing out front and getting blapped for it; I'm going to take a few moments to chill and see what everyone else is doing and whether a plan is suggested after people start moving off.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles

Its all the radar.  DDs don't want to push up and spot/play the objectives.  The other ships don't want to move without some idea of where the enemy is.  Its certainly not entirely radar that is the cause.  Right now, its the biggest issue.

• Cool 3

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

At least once every couple games, I have to get teammates to honk to wake up another ship as we are leaving the spawn, and more often than not it's a DD (the honking usually works, surprisingly enough).  I don't think it's them being passive or scared or anything, I think a lot of them hit Battle and then tab out to do whatever and forget to tab back in until they hear the horns.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts

It seems to me that it is more difficult to win while in retreat. But no one ever accused me of being Lord Nelson.

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

It's usually higher tier players afraid to get their paint scratched.

Also, people want to see how the team is moving before they do so they know where to go.

[UFFA]
Members
525 posts
29 battles

It’s best when this bait ball all goes to one cap and then scatters to the winds against only a couple of OpFor. Everyone wants to be second line or kiting. 

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles
28 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

It seems to me that it is more difficult to win while in retreat. But no one ever accused me of being Lord Nelson.

Do u evn Roon, bro?

-R

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
225 posts
1,993 battles

Funny, I find myself charging in, David Farragut-style, just to get a little dinged up.  I run Adrenaline Rush, so the guns fire a little faster on my Cleveland when I take a little damage.  Admittedly, I do mostly PVE nowadays, but I found myself charging ahead as usual in the PVP games I occasionally do.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,294 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Has anybody noticed, and I can’t imagine people haven’t, that once every game starts in random play, a huge swath of players just sitting there as if stalling to move forward.  As if they don’t want to be the first to be forward of the others.  I will sometimes say, “is the (insert boat name) Kidd afk?” Someone will sometimes say, ‘he must be loading.’  Ok, so if he’s ‘loading’ then why are his guns turning?  He’s just sitting and he’s a DD, and others do it too.  It drives me crazy. 90 seconds later, there he goes.  Oh, he must be playing on dialup, or an 8088 :Smile_hiding:

The Kidd does not play like a normal Fletcher. It lakes a set of torpedo tubes in favor of AAA.

If the Kidd isn't accelerating for the cap zone, he's likely looking around for the IJN DD or another DD to join up with. LWM covered this in her review on the Kidd

[1CVDV]
Members
63 posts
2,736 battles

Yeaterday a guy in a moskva was full reverse first 1 min until he hit the map. I asked him wth he's doing "this is my sniper boat." Last to die at full health. 

I understand strength in numbers, and the faster cruisers prob shouldn't be leading the charge. So, I'll wait for the bbs to get their butts moving before i do.. they can tank for the rest of us. Normally i get inpatient and have 6 targeting me but oh well

[WOLF2]
Members
1,122 posts
12,855 battles

Well, If I were still playing my DDs (which I rarely do now :), I would want to make sure support was moving in my direction and be watching fleet closely, esp. friendly radar.

Now, even more than before, first one on cap usually dies so do you really wanna rush the cap in a DD - doubt it. Going ninja is not much of an option either since all sides of the map are covered and if you do by some miracle make it behind enemy fleet, you're really screwed because you're trapped when radar lights you up.

Finally, it's summertime and if you have satellite ,like me, kids are chewing up neighborhood bandwidth like crazy - so ISPs and probably servers are throttling everybody down to a crawl. Consider yourself lucky if you only d/c once in a game and get a ping below 1000 :)

Buckle up Snowflake - it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,334 battles
3 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Hey!  Aren't you Lord Nelson?

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts
49 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

jaccuse.jpg

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts

I like to come up behind DDs that have loaded in but aren't moving and give them a little push towards the cap.

Jocularity usually ensues.  

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Oh, he must be playing on dialup, or an 8088

I'm going out on a limb here, but the players here who know off hand what an 8088 is probably make up a small (and shrinking) minority of the population.

Essentially, what I've seen and or rationalized fall into a few different scenarios:

Are the guns centerlined fore & aft?  The player's client is disconnected due to crash, potatonet or rage.

Are the guns turning but the ship is sitting still in cap?  The player is disconnected due to alt-tab, angry neighbor at the door or baby discovered suspended from ceiling.  Possibility of bot higher than usual, but not tremendously likely.

Is the ship moving straight ahead (potentially driving against an island or the map edge) and the guns permanently trained in one direction?  The player is disconnected due to homicide, volcano, earthquake or alien invasion.  Possibility of bot higher than sitting-in-cap.

Is the ship moving erratically and shooting at nothing in particular?  Possibility of bot greater than previous examples.  Possible rectal-cranial inversion, potential 8 year-old at the helm and significant risk of TK.  Avoid if possible, especially if pink.

Is the ship top-tier and moving full-astern to the map border?  Take as many reds with you as you can, 'cause this one's gonna to be a "sniper"-induced loss.  Especially if said ship is a low-tier US or German BB.

Meh, I've run out of inspiration.  Spuds happen, on the red team just as often as ours.  There are ways of compensating, even though it's depressing.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts

I sit corrected, abashed, and amused.

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
225 posts
1,993 battles

8088?  My first computer had an 8088 in it. Tandy 1000 EX.

Sorry about the off-topic.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
18,709 battles

Way too much Radar is now slowly killing the game

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,043 battles

DDs have to move forward or no one else would.

Vision is one of the fundamental mechanics of the game. Scouts like DD and CV have tremendous impact on how a match is played from the beginning. 

Just report the DDs that deliberately moving at 1/2 speed behind cruisers, enough reports will give WG enough data to sort it out eventually.

Edited by NeutralState

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

Whatever cruiser or BB gets spotted first gets hard targeted by multiple reds. The hangers back are waiting till they can get free shots without retaliation. Hanging at perfect range while their allies get burnt down. It's pretty selfish, must be a millennial thing. :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
14 minutes ago, Praxz said:

Whatever cruiser or BB gets spotted first gets hard targeted by multiple reds. The hangers back are waiting till they can get free shots without retaliation. Hanging at perfect range while their allies get burnt down. It's pretty selfish, must be a millennial thing. :Smile_child:

Add it to the list of other things we're ruining, like department stores, chain restaurants and beer, right? :cap_old:  I honestly have no idea why so many boomers feel the need randomly slide that into conversation so much.

Edited by Deviathan

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

Not a boomer here, Gen X'er. Almost all polls show millennials are selfish and entitled, but hey you're probably the exception, so don't worry.

• Funny 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
4 minutes ago, Praxz said:

Not a boomer here, Gen X'er. Almost all polls show millennials are selfish and entitled, but hey you're probably the exception, so don't worry.

It's just the same old tired generational meme that people love to spout and it gets old, especially when it's randomly tossed into conversations like the topic of this thread.  Each generation views the ones coming after it as spoiled and entitled while ignoring the fact that theirs was no better.

• Cool 1