Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Naval Legends: Haida (With a guest appearance by ZH-1)

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

22,453
[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles

Naval Legends: Haida dropped:

A good video all in all, worthy of the Naval Legends name.

However, something else caught my attention. There is a section in the video where they simulate a famous battle Haida took part in. During this sequence they show ZH-1, a Dutch built, German captured destroyer of the Gerard Callenburgh class. Now, the presence of this ship in this video means that WG has a 3D model of ZH-1 all ready and textured. After all, it's a 3D CGI sequence, using 3D models with appropriate textures, and from what I can tell, it really is ZH-1 shown instead of a redressed other ship. The funnel arrangement looks the part, the torpedo tubes are in the right place and the single-mount-superfiring-over-a-double-mount aft is spot on the ZH-1/

5BncTyj.jpg

Does that mean ZH-1 might be coming as a separate ship?

"But just because they made a 3D model for the CGI sequence doesn't mean they have a working 3D model for the game!"

Well, maybe. I don't know which 3D modeling programs they use for ships for the game and if it's any different from the program they use for their CGI sequences. It could be the same program. It could be the files for one are easily converted into files for the other.

Then there's the issue of cost. Developing a 3D model takes research, time and effort. It costs money. It would be a bit wasteful to spend money on a ZH-1 model for this CGI sequence and not re-use it for an in-game asset, wouldn't it ...

Thirdly, they dedicate a lot of time to ZH-1, especially since Haida wasn't involved in her sinking and this is ostensibly a video about Haida.

HaNx24m.png

A cat can dream ...

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,675
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles

I have already baited Chobi to be ready with chibi-Mouse Dutch costumes.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
601 posts

Observation: Seems like pretty bad timing for a tier 7, or even T6 DD release.  Since the split, the cruiser population hasn’t fallen off yet. Not that I can see and tier four is hopping. I’m getting four CV in 3/4 the randoms at tier 4 though.  It is bizarre, the world (not just of warships) has turned topsy-turvy. 

I was going to buy the Lo Yang until the cruiser split.  Now, ahem, nope.   I wonder how many others feel the same, and I wonder how well the Yang is selling now ? 

 

Also, as stated, this ship had radar.  Going to have radar is it? Hehe

1D663DF3-AAE4-4222-B709-FC506CA8F150.gif

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,372
[-K-]
Members
5,073 posts
8,938 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Observation: Seems like pretty bad timing for a tier 7, or even T6 DD release.  Since the split, the cruiser population hasn’t fallen off yet, that I can see and tier four is hopping. I’m getting four CV in 3/4 the randoms at tier 4 though.  It is bizarre, the world (not just of warships) has turned topsy-turvy. 

I was going to buy the Lo Yang until the cruiser split.  Now, ahem, nope.   I wonder how many others feel the same, and I wonder how well the Yang is selling now ? 

1D663DF3-AAE4-4222-B709-FC506CA8F150.gif

The Lo Yang will sell just fine next time T8 Ranked season shows up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[TOG]
Members
2,357 posts
14,610 battles

Haida as 3 types of radar? Is the Cossack going to get radar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
830
[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Bill_Halsey said:

Haida as 3 types of radar? Is the Cossack going to get radar?

Yes, four types of radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
702 posts
9,924 battles

Didn’t they do the same thing in the Massachusetts Navel Legends?  In the video it was being escorted by Northampton class Cruisers, I think.  Years later we still don’t have them in game.  Doubt this be any different.

Edited by Airglide2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
830
[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
45 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Didn’t they do the same thing in the Massachusetts Navel Legends?  In the video it was being escorted by Northampton class Cruisers, I think.  Years later we still don’t have them in game.  Doubt this be any different.

I would guess WG is sitting a pile of unused (in game) ship models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98
[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,583 battles

What kind of 120mm guns does it have? From the video they look similar to the Blyskawica`s 120mm guns supplied by Bofors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
10 posts

This is on twitter from Wargaming - In Celebration of Canada Day, July 1st, we will be giving away 15 Haida's with the Maple Leaf Perma-Camo. To enter simply use the hashtag #CanadaDayWoWs here on twitter with your in game name. Contest ends July 2nd 1:59Am. #HappyCanadaDay

Edited by Paul_Mitchell04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499
[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, Lert said:

Naval Legends: Haida dropped:

A good video all in all, worthy of the Naval Legends name.

However, something else caught my attention. There is a section in the video where they simulate a famous battle Haida took part in. During this sequence they show ZH-1, a Dutch built, German captured destroyer of the Gerard Callenburgh class. Now, the presence of this ship in this video means that WG has a 3D model of ZH-1 all ready and textured. After all, it's a 3D CGI sequence, using 3D models with appropriate textures, and from what I can tell, it really is ZH-1 shown instead of a redressed other ship. The funnel arrangement looks the part, the torpedo tubes are in the right place and the single-mount-superfiring-over-a-double-mount aft is spot on the ZH-1/

5BncTyj.jpg

Does that mean ZH-1 might be coming as a separate ship?

"But just because they made a 3D model for the CGI sequence doesn't mean they have a working 3D model for the game!"

Well, maybe. I don't know which 3D modeling programs they use for ships for the game and if it's any different from the program they use for their CGI sequences. It could be the same program. It could be the files for one are easily converted into files for the other.

Then there's the issue of cost. Developing a 3D model takes research, time and effort. It costs money. It would be a bit wasteful to spend money on a ZH-1 model for this CGI sequence and not re-use it for an in-game asset, wouldn't it ...

Thirdly, they dedicate a lot of time to ZH-1, especially since Haida wasn't involved in her sinking and this is ostensibly a video about Haida.

HaNx24m.png

A cat can dream ...

Hi Lert

That all sounds nice and good but your still left with the fact it will fly a KMS flag not a HNLMS flag, its close but not close enough

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
507
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
On 6/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, Lert said:

Naval Legends: Haida dropped:

A good video all in all, worthy of the Naval Legends name.

However, something else caught my attention. There is a section in the video where they simulate a famous battle Haida took part in. During this sequence they show ZH-1, a Dutch built, German captured destroyer of the Gerard Callenburgh class. Now, the presence of this ship in this video means that WG has a 3D model of ZH-1 all ready and textured. After all, it's a 3D CGI sequence, using 3D models with appropriate textures, and from what I can tell, it really is ZH-1 shown instead of a redressed other ship. The funnel arrangement looks the part, the torpedo tubes are in the right place and the single-mount-superfiring-over-a-double-mount aft is spot on the ZH-1/

5BncTyj.jpg

Does that mean ZH-1 might be coming as a separate ship?

"But just because they made a 3D model for the CGI sequence doesn't mean they have a working 3D model for the game!"

Well, maybe. I don't know which 3D modeling programs they use for ships for the game and if it's any different from the program they use for their CGI sequences. It could be the same program. It could be the files for one are easily converted into files for the other.

Then there's the issue of cost. Developing a 3D model takes research, time and effort. It costs money. It would be a bit wasteful to spend money on a ZH-1 model for this CGI sequence and not re-use it for an in-game asset, wouldn't it ...

Thirdly, they dedicate a lot of time to ZH-1, especially since Haida wasn't involved in her sinking and this is ostensibly a video about Haida.

HaNx24m.png

A cat can dream ...

 

Good Kitty :Smile_glasses:.

 

Seriously hope you get a dutch ship Lert, you totally deserve one for all the help you give mouse.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,453
[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles
47 minutes ago, tm63au said:

That all sounds nice and good but your still left with the fact it will fly a KMS flag not a HNLMS flag, its close but not close enough

Still a Dutch ship. It's just incognito.

Besides, if they introduce ZH-1 they could introduce it as ZH-1 under KMS flag (in which case it will conflict with T-61 and / or Z-39) or as Gerard Callenburg under NL flag; its the same ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499
[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Still a Dutch ship. It's just incognito.

Besides, if they introduce ZH-1 they could introduce it as ZH-1 under KMS flag (in which case it will conflict with T-61 and / or Z-39) or as Gerard Callenburg under NL flag; its the same ship.

Yes certainly true she is a Dutch ship under KMS flag and as much as I would love to have her in game I like many others here are fair minded, ZH-1 can wait lets get a Dutch flagged ship in game, its time for the Low Countries and Scandinavia to shine on centre stage :Smile_honoring:

Its a well known fact that both Sweden and the Netherlands have proud Naval heritage and built some great ships   

regards  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,453
[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

Its a well known fact that both Sweden and the Netherlands have proud Naval heritage and built some great ships  

Not well known enough, arguably. I had to educate someone yesterday in the amount of WoWS compatible ships the NL had built and designed, as well as the pedigree of the ones that fought.

He's a fan now.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499
[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles

The young can be so naïve at times :Smile_teethhappy: also the lack of proper education on Naval history.

People don't seem realize your neighbours back in the day used all sought of surreptitious methods of building ships and Naval technology most notable through Dutch firms who had the experience, of course they just " requestioned"  your own product without consent later they new a good thing when they seen it :Smile_Default:

regards  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×