You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

How many Table-Top Gamers on here?

37 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

On a different Thread the old game Jutland by Avalon Hill came up, and instead taken that thread any further off course I thought I would start this thread. So out of curiosity I was wondering how many of you played or had played some of the old table top games and what were they?

I starting Table Top/Pen and Paper Games with the "white box" version of Dungeons and Dragons back in 1976, I have played and/or Game Master AD&D, Champions, Gurps, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Middle-earth Role Playing, Justifiers RPG, and many others.

As far as Wargames - Jutland, Blue Max, etc. I but the two I played the most was Battletech (FASA) - Had a very large Merc Mech Force, and Warhammer 40K at one time I had three large Tackle Boxes Full of Chaos Space Marines. Now all I have left is my copy WH40K Rogue Trader - signed by Andy Chambers.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

I used to table top. WH 40K (necrons), Bolt Action (russians) and Flames of War (early war Russians, late war Germans).

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

I used to table top. WH 40K (necrons), Bolt Action (russians) and Flames of War (early war Russians, late war Germans).

Necrons! I hated fight them, shoot them, get down, and the "I will be back", and start over again. LOL:cap_haloween:

A friend of mine played Orks he used love fighting against the Necrons.:Smile_facepalm:

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Necrons! I hated fight them, shoot them, get down, and the "I will be back", and start over again. LOL:cap_haloween:

And that's why I played them. :D

• Funny 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

I played Battletech many moons ago.  Loads of fun.

Tried to get into Warhammer, but noone I knew played.

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
169 posts
3,424 battles

I tried to get into flames of war. One of the guys always loaned me some of his vehicles normally ended up with 3 Guard IS-2s and a few Guard T-34-85s.

[RKLES]
Members
39 posts
1,615 battles

I play Flames of War. Very great 15mm WW2 tabletop game that is historically balanced.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
4 minutes ago, Hatework said:

I played Battletech many moons ago.  Loads of fun.

Tried to get into Warhammer, but noone I knew played.

I stopped WH40K because the Models just keep going up and up!

Battletech was so much fun, at one time a group of us set up a total of 6, six foot long tables (2 wide) and had a massive battle of Inner Sphere vs. Clans.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

Well for military type games ( loosely speaking in some cases ) I started with Checkers then ; in Order ; Chess / Stratego and Battleship / Risk / D & D (the original paper pamphlets plus some additions from Ardune & Grimoire and Judges Guild) / Avalon Hills ' Battle of the Bulge '  / Traveler (RPG Sci-Fi) / Squad Leader / Etc. . I could go on and on ; Advanced Squad Leader ; all the Avalon Hill versions of Battle of the Bulge plus three other versions ( I own all of the AV ones and two others ; kinda of like that battle I suppose) several American Civil war games . Just to many for my tiered old man brain and hands (typing is killing my hands right now ; R. A. ) of pages of board games and RPG's I have played .

:Smile_honoring:

P. S . Forgot Micro-Armor . Had the  L. A. H. ( 1st SS armor division ) and U. S. Third Armor Division at a 1 to 5 ratio for the vehicles . Approximately 350+ miniatures plus another ~200  for assigned addition ( mostly arty and Tiger 2 battalions ) units . These at T. O. E. for around December 15th 1944 ( rember what game I have the most of ? lol ) .

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,728 battles

Hex gamer here.  Many old Avalon Hill and SPI titles.  Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Guadalcanal, Luftwaffe, Diplomacy, et al.

Was the DM for an ADnD campaign for close to 20 years.

Never quite made it to miniatures.  All that painting and setup just seemed agonizing to the ADHD in me.

[O_O]
Beta Testers
85 posts
6,870 battles

Chaos, your posts always make me feel old lol.............

Back in the dark ages before video games (my first being Pong, the second being Intellivision), all you had was board games or miniatures and I was a war game nerd. I had a ton of the Avalon Hill stuff (with Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, the whole Squad Leader series, Battle of the Buldge and Arab-Israeli Wars being my favorites), the Game Designer Workshop Assault Series (Assault, Boots and Saddles, Bundeswehr, Chieftain), a hodge podge of Strategy & Tactics magazine games, Axis and Allies, Risk, Tacforce and many others I can't remember. I still have most of them in one of my old footlockers in the basement. I really enjoyed 1/87 scale WWII battles and literally have hundreds of US, German, British and Russian vehicles that I've recently "re-discovered". My grandsons are old enough now that they appreciate this kind of stuff and they've been helping me re-build my war game table much to my wife's chagrin (takes up space in her craft room). 

Semper Fi!

[TDD]
Members
882 posts
7,902 battles

Role-player here everything from d&d to white wolf games (Vampire, werewolf, and such). still do play by post games when not sailing here or dying in MWO

Edited by nina_blain_73

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabene said:

SPI titles.

Loved the Quad Games series .

2 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Guadalcanal, Luftwaffe, Diplomacy, et al.

Yep all but Guadalcanal . 

Then there where the AH Bookcase games ; Samurai (Japanese version of Kingmaker) for example .

:Smile_honoring:

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

Lord all you old farts are reminding me of so many games I had forgotten and how many I have played !

:Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
5 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Role-player here everything from d&d to white wolf games (Vampire, werewolf, and such). still do play by post games when not sailing here or dying in MWO

Oh I was big into RPG, I had my own AD&D World - Lhun, (which I first ran in the Navy and then in my Home Town of Chillicothe) its largest city was Athorack. I had like 5x Three Ring Binders of Notes and NPC backgrounds, etc. that I carried around with me along with all the AD&D Books.

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
6 minutes ago, Devildog23 said:

Chaos, your posts always make me feel old lol.............

Sorry about that Marine, LoL:Smile_honoring::cap_haloween:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
4 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Lord all you old farts are reminding me of so many games I had forgotten and how many I have played !

:Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah but my goodness was it fun, sit around together all weekend and play, eating pizza and enjoying each other company.

Members
989 posts
5,711 battles

C.V. (non-Avalon Hills Midway board game), Submarine!, Panzer Blitz, Speed Circuit, Paydirt!

But...I played them on the floor, never a table top.

[TOG]
Members
2,366 posts
14,622 battles

Played Flames of War and Napoleonic miniatures. Many of my compatriots sneer at WoWs.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
11 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

love your posts as varied as they are @Chaos_EN2, always puts a smile on my face

:Smile_Default:

Thanks, but sometimes I do get on my soap box once in awhile.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
5 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

C.V. (non-Avalon Hills Midway board game), Submarine!, Panzer Blitz, Speed Circuit, Paydirt!

But...I played them on the floor, never a table top.

Yeah, same with Jutland, but I figured I posted "who has played on the floor games" I would get some responses that no one would want to see LOL:cap_haloween:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Just remember one more of my favorites ---- Star Fleet Battles!!

[PVE]
Members
52 posts
14,815 battles

A lot of what I’ve seen listed I’ve played. I loved GDW games though. They had a series called Third World War that was pretty awesome. Main game centered on the Fulda Gap scenario in Germany and Northern Europe but there were expansion games that could be added to it for the Balkans, Persian Gulf and Scandinavia. Many hours on that. I also played an RPG from GDW called Twilight:2000. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 minute ago, xyt272 said:

I also played an RPG from GDW called Twilight:2000.

Oh my I forgot about Twilight:2000:Smile_facepalm:

And Call of Cthulhu