You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

PSA for Zao owners: Check your modules to research 12km torps

6 comments in this topic

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,588 posts
14,010 battles

ik4uHzN.jpg

I didn't think this change was happening already, was expecting another month, but hey, I'll take it!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,938 battles

Good call.  I remembered this last night.  I didn't think Zao really needed any buffs, but like you said, I'll take it.

Also, note that Gearing should have her second option for torps open for research now as well.  That change was supposed to go live the same time as the buff to Zao's torps.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,352 posts
14,601 battles

And when you add the legendary mod...

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,588 posts
14,010 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Good call.  I remembered this last night.  I didn't think Zao really needed any buffs, but like you said, I'll take it.

Also, note that Gearing should have her second option for torps open for research now as well.  That change was supposed to go live the same time as the buff to Zao's torps.

Thanks, did not realize that went in, will check later on.  I still prefer Fletcher over Gearing but I'm willing to try new things.

As for Zao and her "new" 12km Shima Torps, my buddy was theorizing about taking Torpedo Armament Expertise for Zao.  A copy & paste of my reply in Discord as we theorized a bit:

"Depends on if you intend to heavily feature it.  WG balanced these torps by having an absurdly long reload, 171 seconds base time.  With Torp Tube Mod 3 that takes it down to 145.3 seconds, but that means not taking Gunfire Control Sys Mod 2 and your gun range is down to 16.2km.  Torp Armament Expertise, in conjunction with Torp Tube Mod 3 should take it down to roughly 130 seconds, which is typical DD torpedo reload time.  But that is a heavy investment and your gun range is very average at 16.2km.
If you do a "Zao Torp Build" you're going to be pumping torps like a DD at 130-ish seconds, but still have guns, albeit average range guns at 16.2km.
You could do the typical "Gun Range Zao" build with GFCS2 for your long gun range.  Torps will just be an occasional thing.  But due to your long gun range you're not playing "USN Cruiser Anxiety" with poor gun range.
Then again, with 9.7km concealment, you can control your engagements.
I can easily picture both "normal" and "oversized DD" builds working.  The "oversized DD" means Zao is playing a lot closer than what this ship typically does to drop torps, especially at around 130 second reloads, and then opening up with those fire starting guns.   The "normal" one is safer playing at range, but will still have the torps as an option."

He also had an experience with Zao using the new torps:

"yea im definately not taking torp tubes mod 3 for sure, i was talking about the captain skill,
took 2 zao earlier and 2 dd's smoked up and we both lauched 16 torps into their smoke it was really cool"

Options open up with Zao because she is no longer straddled with torps too short ranged to do any actual work.

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,938 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Thanks, did not realize that went in, will check later on.  I still prefer Fletcher over Gearing but I'm willing to try new things.

As for Zao and her "new" 12km Shima Torps, my buddy was theorizing about taking Torpedo Armament Expertise for Zao.  A copy & paste of my reply in Discord as we theorized a bit:

"Depends on if you intend to heavily feature it.  WG balanced these torps by having an absurdly long reload, 171 seconds base time.  With Torp Tube Mod 3 that takes it down to 145.3 seconds, but that means not taking Gunfire Control Sys Mod 2 and your gun range is down to 16.2km.  Torp Armament Expertise, in conjunction with Torp Tube Mod 3 should take it down to roughly 130 seconds, which is typical DD torpedo reload time.  But that is a heavy investment and your gun range is very average at 16.2km.
If you do a "Zao Torp Build" you're going to be pumping torps like a DD at 130-ish seconds, but still have guns, albeit average range guns at 16.2km.
You could do the typical "Gun Range Zao" build with GFCS2 for your long gun range.  Torps will just be an occasional thing.  But due to your long gun range you're not playing "USN Cruiser Anxiety" with poor gun range.
Then again, with 9.7km concealment, you can control your engagements.
I can easily picture both "normal" and "oversized DD" builds working.  The "oversized DD" means Zao is playing a lot closer than what this ship typically does to drop torps, especially at around 130 second reloads, and then opening up with those fire starting guns.   The "normal" one is safer playing at range, but will still have the torps as an option."

He also had an experience with Zao using the new torps:

"yea im definately not taking torp tubes mod 3 for sure, i was talking about the captain skill,
took 2 zao earlier and 2 dd's smoked up and we both lauched 16 torps into their smoke it was really cool"

Options open up with Zao because she is no longer straddled with torps too short ranged to do any actual work.

I dunno....I think TAE is kind of a waste versus more appealing options.  I mean, unless you are constantly going to be on the front lines and within 12km of the enemy, its benefits will be negligible at best.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

Put the 12 k Torps on my Zao, Wow the play options do open up

The Zao 8 k torp range for me is just to close for this ship to be counted on,but now I’ll launch Torps into smoke at longer ranges and as a denial weapon for somebody headed at at me at 14 k plus... this option is great and at that range I’m not detected, the trade off is slower Torps but they do more damage.. very very nice

to whoever a big thanks:Smile_honoring: