You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

What Do I Think Of The Monaghan?

19 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

Interestingly, however, my teams seem to win more when I'm playing it.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles

So far every game that I have been in that ship has almost been the first ship sunk or close to it, there has not been a game I have played where it has faired well.

Of course it may have to do with the skill of the player sailing it but I can see why WG is not selling it it just seems to be not working at all.

regards

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Interestingly, however, my teams seem to win when I'm playing it.

Untitled.jpg

Well im glad your teams are winning but it looks like the ship itself has problems

[TF16B]
Members
8,055 posts
16,992 battles

Like Farragut, like Monaghan so far.

As an aside; Monaghan was lost in Halsey’s Typhoon.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

I have gone back to the A hull and the faster torps. The 9 km torps sound nice but they are so slow that most ships have little trouble dodging them, even from at short distance. The 2 gun B hull is pathetically lacking in armament, especially since the ship finds itself acting as a gunboat most of the time.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I think B-hull is pretty great. Slow torpedoes, but also slow ships in that tier. TRB is great!
The 2 front guns are enough to finish DDs, just like IJN. 

Concealment not as superb, but that doesn't really matter. Just gotta have some more patience at the start, but after that you are free to harass the enemy.

Haven't tried A hull yet, also not planning to. 

[DENY]
Members
293 posts
4,381 battles

It a torpedo boats , bait people to rush your smoke , throw your torpedo , activate the torpedo booster reload by the time the enemy is soo close they can't do anything and don't attends to see another set of torpedo , that how I play mine 

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,288 battles

When using Hull A, she's essentially a tech tree Farragut with a quick torp reload. She does pretty much just as well as the tech tree, only can surprise the red team with a quick torp turnaround if they aren't careful.

Hull B is more complicated.

She cannot contest a Cap by herself. The two guns just can't do much. The 9.2km torps are great, but as has been said, are slow and if they are spotted the target usually has time to maneuver out of the way.

The main issue comes up when she is the only DD on the team, and teammates are screaming for it to get in the Cap becuase 'you're a DD'. So bowing to the pressure, you move in, get spotted, focused, radar, hydro'd, and deleted. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles

I wouldn't mind getting one in a mission crate. I like driving my Farragut from time to time, and the thought of having a premium one that I could slot various captains into for various effects is fun.

As for the B hull, I wouldn't mind having a go with it. I like that they've done something weird and interesting, but appreciate the fact that we have a fall-back to a known and familiar position if our ideas for using the weird thing don't pan out the way we hoped.

Members
759 posts
3,958 battles

The B Hull plays like 11-12 Harekaze, which is to say that it is not good at contesting caps against DDs that are alert and at full HP. If you can use 11-12 Harekaze well, then you can use Hull B and its 9 km torps.

Otherwise use A hull and get TRB as an option on your Farragut.

This is not a traditional USN DD with B hull, and playing it as such will get you sunk in a hurry.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,001 battles

I bought it for the A-hull.  Lol.   I always wanted a premium farragut, because I dont like dedicating a captain to that ship.    

Next request for WG.... make us a premium nicholas clone plz.  Kthx. 

[SOB]
Members
42 posts
2,843 battles

Ok, here's the deal. Say the Monaghan doesn't set your heart aflutter. Buying one now gets you a 10 point commander, a port slot, 3,500 Doubloons; a whole slug of flags for $36.41. Not a bad deal...and who knows maybe someday it will set your heart aflutter.

Just saying.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
10 hours ago, Valin_2017 said:

Ok, here's the deal. Say the Monaghan doesn't set your heart aflutter. Buying one now gets you a 10 point commander, a port slot, 3,500 Doubloons; a whole slug of flags for $36.41. Not a bad deal...and who knows maybe someday it will set your heart aflutter.

Just saying.

I got my Monaghan from a mission in a Freedom Container that I purchased. (20 containers bought) And now WG has Monaghan for sale in the premium shop. This has convinced me not to buy anymore Containers of any kind from now on.

Edited by ReddNekk

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,761 battles

j0A65jK.png

It's not a high damage ship but its fine. You make you living bullying other DD's out of caps and winning by playing the objective, not landing 60 torp hits a game.

Edited by NotoriousRNG
  • Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
42 posts
2,843 battles
13 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I got my Monaghan from a mission in a Freedom Container that I purchased. (20 containers bought) And now WG has Monaghan for sale in the premium shop. This has convinced me not to buy anymore Containers of any kind from now on.

Never bought any.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

I had an IJN DD try to close with me and gun me down.  I was at half health, he was full.  I guess he assumed I was a B hull and couldnt protect myself in a gunfight.  he lost terribly.