Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Beanlord

How to lock onto a target that is out of range?

10 comments in this topic

[POTW]
[POTW]
Members
27 posts
4,351 battles

I was wondering how to lock onto targets that are out of range.  Reason I'm asking is I have a DD with long range torpedoes.  The torpedo range is way better than my gun range, and I can't figure out how to lock onto the target to get the torpedo launching guide.  While I may not fire my torpedoes as the guide indicates, I want the information to see how fast the target is going, and get a clue as to how it is angle relative me.

[WOLF9]
Members
252 posts
3,812 battles

Target has to be within range of either guns or torps to get a lock.

Members
4,749 posts
5,466 battles

I thought you could lock on with the 'X' key to any target with torps selected. Did that change in a recent patch?

As far as I remember, you could lock on to a target with torps selected regardless if they were inside the torpedo range or not. Guns however, have always been restricted to being able to lock on to targets within your gun range.

• Cool 1

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,442 posts
5,522 battles

They have to be in range of one of your weapon types to be targetable. If your torpedoes outrange your main battery, switch to torpedoes and you'll be able to lock on, assuming the enemy vessel is within range of your torps.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
78 posts
3,482 battles

Unfortunately you cannot lock onto the target unless it's in range. Initially, after viewing your profile, I was curious how you had amassed more than 3700 battles without knowing this. Then saw in your profile you are very new to the DD line. So, additionally, welcome to DDs. They are indeed a blast to play but with the new radar meta, much more challenging than they were before.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

If you are outside of gun range but inside your torp range, zoom in on the ship you want to target using your gun zoom, and then switch to torps and you should be locked on it. If that doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe repeat and give it another shot.

[LF]
Members
1 post
12,134 battles

I routinely lock onto targets outside of torp range to accustom them to being aimed at before i can actually fire at them.  It also causes ulcers, general malaise and discontent int he enemy fleet.  While I play a lot of Mogami, I also play a lot of DDs so im sure some of this is out of range of any of my weapons.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,525 posts
24,667 battles
On 6/28/2018 at 12:34 AM, GhostSwordsman said:

I thought you could lock on with the 'X' key to any target with torps selected. Did that change in a recent patch?

As far as I remember, you could lock on to a target with torps selected regardless if they were inside the torpedo range or not. Guns however, have always been restricted to being able to lock on to targets within your gun range.

I think you are correct. I routinely target ships outside of my range - guns and torps - with torpedoes selected. It gives me a better idea of direction and speed of future victims. 

Also making an enemy ship’s Priority Target counter jump up and down is potentially helpful. 

Members
4,749 posts
5,466 battles
5 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Also making an enemy ship’s Priority Target counter jump up and down is potentially helpfu

It only works for main battery guns. Torps do not trigger PT.

Sign in to follow this