You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rabin69

CV/s don't need fixing.......

26 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Members
161 posts
9,970 battles

It's the players that play them so badly that need to be fixed.

I have seen many average players who have been owned by a better red cv player, but they still tried their best, I couldn't fault them for a loss.

Its folks like this guy here that just piss off the general population. Luckily their team just played worse than ours.

20180627_224100_PASB018-Iowa-1944_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

• Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[WPP]
Members
451 posts
5,081 battles

It's almost like you've never read or cared about the issues people have with CVs.  But I doubt you'll start here, so I'll just say that they do need work.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
46 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

It's the players that play them so badly that need to be fixed.

I have seen many average players who have been owned by a better red cv player, but they still tried their best, I couldn't fault them for a loss.

Its folks like this guy here that just piss off the general population. Luckily their team just played worse than ours.

source.gif

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles

I half expected the OP to be one of the very few that excels with them but surprisingly he isn't one of those very few, I call troll. However, the excessive amount of micromanaging to do well is reason enough and the real reason that CV's desperately need "fixing".

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

My experience playing as CV is that plane are easy destroyed and limited number of plane, unlike all other class sure as destroyer, cruiser and battleship where it's main firepower is difficult to destroyed and had a unlimited shooting the gun while CV's Main power is aircraft with easy destroyed and limited number of aircraft (it's like gun easy destroyed and shot limited number of shooting). If this is a power of level CV in the game are like real life, we wouldn't had CV in real life as it's kind of useless, due costly of life pilot, crew of CV and time to replace too many plane where battleship still might be rule sea, not CV. I think plane's heath may better buff to make CV more bearable fun to play and useful to team to improve the game, unless there is other better way around! I think Japan CV is more little better than USA CV in this game, currently.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
1 hour ago, Humility925 said:

My experience playing as CV is that plane are easy destroyed and limited number of plane, unlike all other class sure as destroyer, cruiser and battleship where it's main firepower is difficult to destroyed and had a unlimited shooting the gun while CV's Main power is aircraft with easy destroyed and limited number of aircraft (it's like gun easy destroyed and shot limited number of shooting). If this is a power of level CV in the game are like real life, we wouldn't had CV in real life as it's kind of useless, due costly of life pilot, crew of CV and time to replace too many plane where battleship still might be rule sea, not CV. I think plane's heath may better buff to make CV more bearable fun to play and useful to team to improve the game, unless there is other better way around! I think Japan CV is more little better than USA CV in this game, currently.

CVs are the top damage dealers in the game ... Quit begging!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,662 battles

CV does need to be reworked on these primary areas.

1. To much micro management then any other class in the game.
  2. Player learning curve is to wide not only among the CV class, but overall of all classes in the game. Its not easy to learn to play the CV class effectively compared to other classes in the game.
  3. MM issues due to lack of participation.
  4. Over powering AA defense of surface ships limits CV role in the upper tiers.

I know there will be other reasons presented by the community, as to why the CV rework has a potential to be best for the class atm. One thing for sure, its not "human stupidity/needs of improvement of the CV driver" that is the issue.

• Bad 1

[ARP]
[ARP]
Supertester
868 posts
10,801 battles

I see... 

1458499377095.jpg.3f5a564f2bb069c08bde10516fd9b75a.jpg

[O7]
Supertest Coordinator, Supertester
6,387 posts
7,321 battles

424219428662804480.png?v=1

3,623 posts
521 battles

See, the thing is, you can rework CVs until you're blue in the face, they'll always be the least-played class. Because they require so much multitasking. They're basically spreadsheet-mode and a lot of players just aren't good at that kind of gameplay so they're turned off to it.

Those that are good at multitasking and situational awareness, though, tend to excel at it. NavyFIELD was pretty much exactly the same way. You were either really good at CVs or you were awful at CVs. There was little to no middle ground and those that were awful at them almost always gave up playing them pretty quickly, leaving only the best players actually playing the high tier CVs. 

What little tiny bit I've tried CVs in this game, they play almost exactly like they did in NavyFIELD. And I was awful at both of them. 

[CUTER]
Members
17 posts
6,608 battles

If you want to get better it just takes a month to get to a rather decent level, after that it's just experience in the matchups. But then again, you can't fix stupid.

[SHAFT]
Members
161 posts
9,970 battles
9 hours ago, galspanic said:

It's almost like you've never read or cared about the issues people have with CVs.  But I doubt you'll start here, so I'll just say that they do need work.

Firstly thanks for responding rather than just down voting.

To be fair I have read and do care about the issues that players have expressed about CV game play.

I'll take some stick for the poor wording of the thread's title - note to self, let an hour pass from end of game to when you go on to Forums.

I fully understand the challenges that using the CV entails, that's why I stopped at T6 when I realized I was going to be a liability rather than an asset to my team.

There is a replay file attached to my initial post, would be good if you looked at it, if you did my apologies.

But just to summarize see below:

1. Our CV wanders off to a corner alone then sends his planes up the map border trying to CV snipe enemy CV.

2) Lack of planes from our side being spotted ensures the enemy CV is aware of his intentions, he keeps his fighters close and sends his bombers down the center of map.

3) Enemy CV then proceeds to run rampant on one flank, while his fighters eat our CV's strike package.

4) Our CV reloads then tries the same thing, this time sending his planes up the other side of the map border...same result they get deleted.

I did also indicate that we played poorly, the BBs that got sunk by the enemy CV were alone and isolated (a was I late game), but if you were to ask them the CV is OP and should be nerfed.

The balance issues with CV's are only made worse by WG allowing poor players to continue to play especially at high tiers where they have such a telling influence the outcome of a match.

[SHAFT]
Members
161 posts
9,970 battles
9 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I half expected the OP to be one of the very few that excels with them but surprisingly he isn't one of those very few, I call troll. However, the excessive amount of micromanaging to do well is reason enough and the real reason that CV's desperately need "fixing".

While I appreciate the second part of your post, is stat shaming really necessary?? To make it easier for anyone wondering they are down below.

I stopped at T6 because the micromanaging made it feel like work and not a game. Plus I knew to myself that I would be at best and average/below average CV player at higher tiers because no matter how much i practiced in Co-op i struggled with effective strafing. I continue to work on improving my game play, but I will stick to operations and the occasional co-op until I have this skill down so I am not a liability in random games.

Edited by Rabin69
Image was unclear

[SHAFT]
Members
161 posts
9,970 battles

cv.png

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,216 battles

I largely agree with the OP. I really dont think there is anything wrong with CV's per se. The problem is the people driving them. As the OP stated, get a good driver on one team & a sucky one on the other & that will decide the match. Sure its possible to carry a team in virtually any class of ship but none do it as well (or as often) as a CV with a good captain at the helm. 

I myself gave up on them at T5. I just didnt care for the playstyle. More importantly I wasnt very good at them & had little to no interest in trying to get gud. Not wanting to be a drag on my team I stopped playing them. 

I dearly wish other "sucky" CV drivers would have the self awareness that they cant hack them & give up the class. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts
14 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

I largely agree with the OP. I really dont think there is anything wrong with CV's per se. The problem is the people driving them. As the OP stated, get a good driver on one team & a sucky one on the other & that will decide the match. Sure its possible to carry a team in virtually any class of ship but none do it as well (or as often) as a CV with a good captain at the helm. 

I myself gave up on them at T5. I just didnt care for the playstyle. More importantly I wasnt very good at them & had little to no interest in trying to get gud. Not wanting to be a drag on my team I stopped playing them. 

I dearly wish other "sucky" CV drivers would have the self awareness that they cant hack them & give up the class. 

Most CV players start as poor cv drivers especially at T5.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,136 posts
8,762 battles
51 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

While I appreciate the second part of your post, is stat shaming really necessary?? To make it easier for anyone wondering they are down below.

I stopped at T6 because the micromanaging made it feel like work and not a game. Plus I knew to myself that I would be at best and average/below average CV player at higher tiers because no matter how much i practiced in Co-op i struggled with effective strafing. I continue to work on improving my game play, but I will stick to operations and the occasional co-op until I have this skill down so I am not a liability in random games.

Saying you are not a CV unicum is stat shaming? The reality is you are pretty much average with them which is better than I can claim. I said that because more often than not the people that think CV's are just fine are those CV unicums that do extremely well with them and don't want to stop being a big fish in a small pond.

38 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

What you are saying is exactly why CV's need "fixing". The impact of a bad CV player is far larger than the impact of a bad player in anything else. Most of the reason for that wide discrepancy is the insane amount of micromanaging required to do well. That micromanaging drives people away from playing them and they are so rare even in the 4 to 6 range where they are the most common that specing for AA is a waste of captains points.We need more people playing them than just the elite few.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
689 posts
6,093 battles

Funny I was just wondering when we will see some "Official" update on the "Alleged" "Re-work" of the defunct CV line of ships....shame to see so many in dry dock because of poor game mgmt. really speaks volumes to me not even minor changes to it ...like it is the abused stepchild put in a corner and forgotten....SAD. CV's sleep with the :fish_sleep:'s.

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,152 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Saying you are not a CV unicum is stat shaming? The reality is you are pretty much average with them which is better than I can claim. I said that because more often than not the people that think CV's are just fine are those CV unicums that do extremely well with them and don't want to stop being a big fish in a small pond.

What you are saying is exactly why CV's need "fixing". The impact of a bad CV player is far larger than the impact of a bad player in anything else. Most of the reason for that wide discrepancy is the insane amount of micromanaging required to do well. That micromanaging drives people away from playing them and they are so rare even in the 4 to 6 range where they are the most common that specing for AA is a waste of captains points.We need more people playing them than just the elite few.

I'm still seeing plenty of CV's... 4 out of 5 yesterday had CV's and 1 had 2 each.

Died twice to them to boot.

The unfortunate part is the difficult UI is what keeps them from running roughshod over the server.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,136 posts
8,762 battles
20 minutes ago, SwirvinBirds said:

I'm still seeing plenty or CV's... 4 out of 5 yesterday had CV's and 1 had 2 each.

Died twice to them to boot.

The unfortunate part is the difficult UI is what keeps then from running roughshod over the server.

The UI is definitely sub par for CV's but I still think that the micromanaging is the biggest factor in how rare they are. Another big factor is they don't scale well between tiers, a tier 6 BB is able to fight a tier 8 BB where a tier 6 CV is going to struggle against a tier 8 CV unless there is a wide skill gap. They were a mess in alpha and the individual fixes they have instituted since have not helped and even hurt them.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,216 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I hear you, to be fair it is exactly that level of micromanaging that makes them so deadly. Seal clubbing is ridiculously deadly but requires the captain to be on top of his planes. 

If they were to change the UI to make them more user friendly, in good conscience I dont think they should be able to allow that level of devastation, CVs would rule the map! The only other alternative that I see would be to "dumb down" targeting to the level of gunnery & let RNG do as it will as the AI executes the attacks. But then... I really dont think playing a CV would be particularly interesting. 

Smarter people then I may see an alternative but frankly I dont ergo my earlier assertion that there is nothing wrong with CVs as they are.