Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

Your GoTo Ship and The Bane of Your Existence

27 comments in this topic

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

I think we all have ship classes and lines that click with us better than others.  Even excellent and unicum players struggle with certain "good" ships when by default, with their skill, should do well in them.

For me my go to ship would probably be my Benson.  Have 138 battles in her with a nearly all solo WR of 70.29% and a PR of 2270 I can comfortably rate myself in the top 8 - 10% on the NA server.  When I am having a rough string I grab Benny and put a few in the win column.  Even when I sent my high skill captain up with Fletcher, my performance still didn't drop, 12 pt captain, still winning.  She clicked with me from day one, as most the US DD line has, and still clicks with me today.  She is my ace in the hole.

The bane of my existence lately, Yammy.  Not being able to use the excuse of a ship I played long ago, I have only had her a couple of months.  I am a solid BB player in all the lines I have played working my way up the tiers free xp'ing nothing, did good in Amagi, better than most in Izumo, get to the crown jewel of the IJN line and suck it up something fierce.  Up until a lucky string here recent was at a dreadful (for me) 50% WR about 1000 PR and 80k damage.  The good string put me at 54%, 1242, and 83k with 83 battles in.  I have struggled more trying to get this boat to perform than I have with one in a long time.  She is widely considered to be a great ship, yet here I am.  

So that's me.  What are your go to boats that you just click with?  Which "great" ship can you not get a handle on and makes you want to pull your hair, double fist a beer and fire up a smoke between all your fingers?

Have some fun with it.

Members
8,085 posts
17,038 battles

Not a great Fletcher driver, but passable in it; one of the few higher tier ships not included when I lump together them all together to be loathed as a group.

Go-to ship #1; Bogue in Co-op; quickly approaching 500 games played.

Runner-ups; Mutsuki in Randoms, St Louis and Mikasa in Co-op.

Bane of my existence; Leander and everything else past Emerald, including Belfast.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[AAA]
Members
403 posts
5,186 battles

Fletcher and Gallant are my go to. When I need a mission done either get it done.

bane......cvs

[DRG_N]
Members
412 posts
582 battles

I've been kicking tail in my Mutsu, yet the bottom of my NorCal seems to have fallen out.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

Atlanta has been my ship cocaine for a while. Soon Helena and Boise will be added. As for the bane of my existence: In a cruiser, the Lyon can be insanely frustrating. Just so many shells. Also, the Scharnhorst. I don't fear Colorados and Nagatos nearly as much.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

Hindenburg , Kutuzov and Blyska are my comfort ships.  If I need a solid game, regardless of team quality, I can typically have it with one of those.  Ship that I just don't click with? Khab.  It's infuriating because I did *really* well with the rest of the Russian DD, but I don't enjoy or particularly do well with it, I haven't gotten into a comfortable groove with it yet.

e: I actually liked the Izumo, but I was really bad with the FDG and ended up FXP'ing through it, but I don't count that one because it's not a good ship

Edited by Deviathan

[PVE]
Members
8,982 posts
7,315 battles

In PvP, Atago and Takao are my go to ships. I do the best in them. DDs are my bane.

I don't really have either in co-op as I will play anything vs bots.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
3 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

The Alsace in random games in a full secondary build clicked right away for reasons I will explain in the ship that never clicked until the very end. 

The ship that almost never clicked for me was the Bismarck. I first started playing this game around the Bismarck/Hood campaign. So WG gave it to me for doing some missions or something. They were like, "Here is a tier 8 bb go have fun". I had little idea what facing tier 9s and 10s would be like, I had like a 6 point commander maybe it was 10 but it wasnt secondary specced at all, but I still tried to play it like a secondary specced ship cause I read it was fun. It was a struggle, suddenly facing tier10 bbs knocking off huge chunks of health, tier 10dds spamming 20 torps across my screen, tier 10 cruisers hiding and raining down hell on me. Yah.... Eventually I did spec it secondary and learned high tier gameplay was quite different than lower and mid tier; but at least the right cpt spec wasnt till 100s of games in it.

So my experience from a ship that never really clicked (till maybe the end), immensely prepared me for a different ship. The end. 

I like the German battleships in the sense that hypothetically they have a brawling playstyle, but it often doesn't work out as well as you'd wish. For example, in the Bismarck / Tirpitz you'll be seeing lots of Tier 9s and 10s. In the time it takes for you to get close enough, Tier 10 BBs can land heavily damaging shots on you, cruisers can whittle you down with fires, and high tier DDs actually become a great menace. Plus the fact you only have 8 15" guns yourself, which doesn't allow you to overmatch even some high tier cruisers from the front. 8 guns with only 1.8 sigma and German dispersion, meh, it can be rough. I had that kind of experience in the Hood, with only 8 guns and sub 2.0 sigma, but even British dispersion is better.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,073 battles

Banes:

DD - Ernst Gaede (I just can't figure out its play style)

CA - Emerald (I had to grind 74 matches to get through a T5, it was miserable.)

BB - Myogi (the guns were absolutely rage inducing, not being able to hit anything ever)

CV - Ranger (It was miserable knowing that if the opponent was a Premium CV it was going to be an uphill fight. Note, I finished the low tier CV before manual drop was removed from them. Manual drop at T4 and T5 was a blast. Literally. Not, you know, for my opponents.)

Go To's:

DD - Benson (so much Pew Pew and I finished it before the Radar Meta came in)

CA - Aoba (I made that little T6 work for me, 57% WR and 922 Avg. XP), Katori is a close second... because about half the time the other team will completely ignore it in the early and even mid game.

BB - Fuso (I know a lot of people hate it, but if you play it right it is a lot of run. Hunt CA's with that AP ammo and you'll be happier.)

CV - Hosho (Again, I completed it when you could still manual drop at T4 and T5 in CV's. Had a game with it where I got 4 kills, 22 planes, and over 100k dmg.)

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles

My go to ships are usually cruisers, mainly Graf Spee, Charles Martel, Hindenburg, and a surprising newcomer that i found extremely fun, the T6 Pensacola.

The one bane of my existence will forever be the GOD DAMNED Yorck, i tried to make it work, but it just never clicked. I guess a close second would be an Atlanta i got form an SC which i then sold to buy other ships. :P

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
11 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Banes:

Shudders...Guh.  I still have nightmares about that ship.  She may very well be the absolute worst cruiser in the game for their tier.  That turd was rage inducing.  Guns, absolutely useless.  Couldn't pen a coke can.  Got out of it by playing it like a DD with sh..ty concealment.  It's torps were the only thing useful on it.  God I hated that ship.

Edited by Aeries1
  • Cool 1

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

Bismarck is my go-to, Yamato/Musashi are my bane.  I've got a decent chance of dodging torpedoes if I am on my A game but if those 460's open up on me then there's not much I can do except hope to angle enough to reduce the damage.

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles

Arizona

and anything that fires torpedoes

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

i play All my Ships equally Bad so I don't have an answer.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
17 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Banes:

And I might add a memorable last game.  Just got done island ambushing a BB sending it to the bottom with torps so I was feeling pretty good about myself that I actually killed a ship. 

Round the island and what do I see.  A Pepsi full broadside to me at about 7km with guns shooting and pointing away from me.  With torps on reload I licked my chops as I prepared to rack up a bunch of citadels.  Fire.  Perfectly waterline.  Plink, plink, shatter.  Fire again.  Plink, plink, shatter.  A third salvo.  Same result.  He finally took notice, about faced and insta-nuked me with a quad citadel straight to the bottom.  Not a singe point of damage.......not 1.  I sat there blinking at my computer screen.  The legendary PepsiCan couldn't be penned at 7km by those wet noodles.

I free xp'd the last 10k.  Dear god that boat is a crime against this gaming community.

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,073 battles
1 minute ago, Aeries1 said:

I free xp'd the last 10k.  Dear god that boat is a crime against this gaming community.

And against humanity.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
371 posts
9,202 battles

Fiji, Atago and Hindy are my go to ships. Yamato I cant stand, doesn't click at all with me.

[INTEL]
Members
753 posts
7,949 battles

Musashi is my Waifu. I'm not much of a BB player but she just clicked from the start. I only have 3 IJN ships and until Musashi no desire to play anything in the IJN line. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to skip to the Yammy without playing the rest of the IJN BB line. Sims is my sweethart DD, only issue I have with her is the weak torps have cost me so many matches because I can land an entire spread on a BB and not have it go down.

Kutuzov is my bane. My struggles with her are epic. She's the most likely cruiser to have a 150+ match in and at the same time the most likely to get deleted early with a full potato 15k done. My W/L streaks are just as bad, I've had a 12 game win streak and lost 13 of 14. Having similar issues with Leningrad although not to the same level yet.

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles

Go to: Omaha. Nothing keeps a player sharp quite like running around with a floating citadel, yet at the same time, the Omaha's unique mixture and setup of guns and torpedoes, at least in my opinion, allows her to take on any surface engagement situation, so long as the player's skill holds out.

Bane: German Destroyers. I just can't make them work. The stealth is not useful for capping or stealth torping, the guns are not particularly fast, in any term, the smoke is useful only as an escape tool, and the AA is nothing to write home about. The hydro is nice, but I simply cannot, for the life of me, do well in them.

Members
705 posts
58 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

i play All my Ships equally Bad so I don't have an answer.

Pretty much me too, except that I suck somewhat less in Hindy and Kutuzov.

I pull 29 inches of main condenser vacuum in [insert any DD here].

• Funny 1

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles
16 minutes ago, TF77 said:

I pull 29 inches of main condenser vacuum in [insert any DD here].

Was a great laugh, thanks for that.

Members
3,651 posts
13,535 battles

I sucketh most heinously in all ships. There are a few that I sucketh less with. De Grasse, Perth, Belfast and Fiji fall into the latter category. Helena has potential to be a bote that I'm less sucky with.

The bane bote; Kutuzov. For some reason, even in Co-Op, I do horribly with that ship. (Maybe cuz it's Roo-Shun)

Edited by ReddNekk

[78TH]
Members
96 posts
4,404 battles

Hmmmmm all these answers are extremely interesting! Cool to see what people like and dont like! :)

My favorite ships for sure are the tirpitz (loved that ship since the day i bought her), love the musashi, the Richelieu, the neptune and the t9 pan asian dd (I forget its name and i can't wait for the t10)

And for banes...i can't for the life of me play german dds, i just can't learn the playing style. And the poor pepsi cola...(Pensacola) Me and that ship have never gotten along. Infact it made me rage quit on on the USN cruiser line. It wasn't until the split that i started working on that line again lol. I had the cleveland so i got to skip! Oh and for whatever reason, I love the Richelieu and the Republique, but i just can't seem to be able to play the Alsace at all lol I know...i'm weird. lol:fish_palm:    

Edited by jbonjour9

Sign in to follow this