You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I’m struggling with Moskva PLEASE HELP ME

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,362 battles

I suck in this ship so much, no matter what I do I just melt. I angle, I try to push and help my team, I try to radar, BUT NO MATTER WHAT I DO I STILL EAT MASSIVE CITADEL PENS FROM ACROSS THE MAP LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME PLEASE I DONT GET IT. I used to be good in it but now I just SUCK HORRIBLY, I don’t get it nothing works anymore I just keep dying. PLEASE I NEED HELP HOW DO I PLAY THIS THING, HOW DO I STOP MYSELF FROM OVEREXTENDING PLEASE I CANT TAKE THIS TORTURE ANYMORE 

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

park it in the port to collect dust or just sell it, problem solved.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,888 battles

there're 2 ways to play Moskva, one is your typical long range kiting HE spammer, like rest of the RU cruisers line. So you stay near max range and hit BBs with HE, and use rudder to dodge incoming fire. The other way is to play it like a semi-battleship, you stay angle (but not bow-in), use islands to cover your flank, and play with engine to move back and forth and basically tank while shooting. The key is that your broadside armor is actually quite good, so you want them to shoot at your angled broadside so you can actually bounce them. you only have 25mm bow, so if you expose your bow too much, it will get overmatch and you take massive damage. It's difficult balance to strike, because if you show too much side, you will also get massive damage. 

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

When I first started playing the Moskva, I had a similar problem with it because I bought into the Battleship Moskva memes people still like to toss around (still trying to fix my damage from learning that lesson).  Moskva cannot be a frontline pushing ship, at least not before the enemy gets whittled down, you have to play it very deliberately.  Generally, you pick an island to park next to that protects your side so you can back up or get undetected if you need to, and also lets you have radar coverage of at least 1 cap.  A hint of broadside is usually a citadel shot about to happen, and if BB are shooting at you, too much bow-on is also going to get you cit'd through the front.  If you're having to face down a battleship, give just enough angle to where you can't quite get your back turrets on target and hope he doesn't know where to shoot.

If the game progresses such that you can start assisting in a team push, then fair enough, but it's a judgement call based on the situation.  Generally though, everyone will drop what they're doing to shoot you because they want to eliminate the radar, so you have to play slowly and try to limit how many potential angles you give up.

Also I found running a tank build with FP works best for me, so might be worth considering.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
9 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I suck in this ship so much...

I've always struggled with this ship- angle against one opposing threat and you get hit from one further away. I'm going to be trying to keep the ship pulled back a ways at first and positioned to bisect the angles between the widest threats. The problem is in some cases that just provides both with broadsides at which point hanging back clearly isn't the best strategy and it's time to boogie. This bow buff should help with angling against many threats but you know this already. 

I wish I had something tangible to offer you- but suffice to say i'll be watching this thread closely for some answers. 

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,362 battles

I just suck on everything now, I keep losing horribly, I don’t know how to get out of this, I try and take breaks but I just suck even more afterwards, it’s torture playing this game now

• Boring 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles
3 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I just suck on everything now, I keep losing horribly, I don’t know how to get out of this, I try and take breaks but I just suck even more afterwards, it’s torture playing this game now

I mean, in the Moskva specifically your damage looks really solid, winrate could be a little better but at 40'ish games, teammate RNG is probably playing into that.  I think maybe you're stressing a bit too hard because you're apparently doing something right.

[TSPC]
Members
173 posts
6,271 battles

Contradicting what some people have said about bowing on in Moskva, if you go directly bow on, BB shells will arm in the bow and will likely detonate before reaching the citadel

Note:

- You will still take pen damage

- Though the margin for the is rather small since you only need to be ~6 degrees off for you to seriously risk being citadelled

- This can be compensated by staying further out though

Edit: Moskva got 50mm lower bow now so you can bow on BBs at 60 degrees and be fine lol

Edited by 901234