You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
silverdahc

DD's going the way of the CV's

203 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,215 battles

Well with the new changes and the addition of many radars The question now is destroyer play going the way of the CV play where one side has unicom destroyer driver and the other has a scrub In high tier gameplay

Even though there are still a few games where you might see more than 2 destroyers per side for the most all I see is 2 or less at high tier games 

And the side that has the better destroyer player is going to win most games because you're gonna lose your scrub very quickly and with nobody to do the dirty work of capping and spotting your team soon crumbles

We use to blame  the potato CV driver on your team for the loss but now we can blame it on your potato destroyer driver because there is only one or two per side  And if your team has potatoes good luck

Either way it's another win for the BB's now they don't have to worry about destroyers or CV's  Since WG seems to like to nerf them into oblivion and now there's plenty of cruisers to   Citadel 

And that's the reason we don't see BB's crying in the forum anymore You have nothing to complain about except for the DD's crying that the game is not fun to play anymore above tier 8

I  Feel like a schmuck that wasted money in game that changes every 3 months Used to be fun but that thrill is gone:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 7

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

I saw plenty of 4-5 DD per team last night.  Once the US CL hype has slacked off, it'll be back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,286 battles
10 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Well with the new changes and the addition of many radars The question now is destroyer play going the way of the CV play where one side has unicom destroyer driver and the other has a scrub In high tier gameplay

Even though there are still a few games where you might see more than 2 destroyers per side for the most all I see is 2 or less at high tier games 

And the side that has the better destroyer player is going to win most games because you're gonna lose your scrub very quickly and with nobody to do the dirty work of capping and spotting your team soon crumbles

We use to blame  the potato CV driver on your team for the loss but now we can blame it on your potato destroyer driver because there is only one or two per side  And if your team has potatoes good luck

Either way it's another win for the BB's now they don't have to worry about destroyers or CV's  Since WG seems to like to nerf them into oblivion and now there's plenty of cruisers to   Citadel 

And that's the reason we don't see BB's crying in the forum anymore You have nothing to complain about except for the DD's crying that the game is not fun to play anymore above tier 8

I  Feel like a schmuck that wasted money in game that changes every 3 months Used to be fun but that thrill is gone:Smile_facepalm:

Don’t you think they’re gonna release Roast Beef DDs in a month and then everone will be playing DD? It’s not like people dont play the new line each time it’s released is it? There is a pethod to the maddnes.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

image.png.23d494e9e581f52cc7e92d554b68e24b.png

only bbybies can have fun in this game

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,215 battles

This game may get back to normal ish in a few months Maybe but it's not enjoyable for me anymore so I guess a break is needed with high tier DD's

So long and thanks for all the fish:Smile_honoring:

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles

"I  Feel like a schmuck that wasted money in game that changes every 3 months Used to be fun but that thrill is gone"-This directly translates to "I can't adapt, so I don't have fun."

Rather than actually take a minute to study something and maybe learn a bit, too many instead whine and rage that "things changed."

News flash, life IS change. So, directly correlating to that, everything in life must change, as well. Those who can, and will, adapt thrive. Those that do not, well, they go the way of the Dodo.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 1

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,499 battles
4 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

This game may get back to normal ish in a few months Maybe but it's not enjoyable for me anymore so I guess a break is needed 

So long and thanks for all the fish:Smile_honoring:

I know the feeling, they nerfed my cruiser back in 2016 and quit playing for a year (3/16-3/17). When I came back I got the Des Moines and I love it, that radar saved the game for me, smoke finally had a counter, no longer OP, that's fair, and fun.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,623 posts
14,017 battles

Bookmarking these "It's the end for Destroyers!" threads for future comedic purposes on these boards in the near future.  Especially once the fad of USN Cruisers settles down and we return to our normal state of the game.

• Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Bookmarking these "It's the end for Destroyers!" threads for future comedic purposes on these boards in the near future.  Especially once the fad of USN Cruisers settles down and we return to our normal state of the game.

:Smile_teethhappy: Ditto

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
8 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

"I  Feel like a schmuck that wasted money in game that changes every 3 months Used to be fun but that thrill is gone"-This directly translates to "I can't adapt, so I don't have fun."

Rather than actually take a minute to study something and maybe learn a bit, too many instead whine and rage that "things changed."

News flash, life IS change. So, directly correlating to that, everything in life must change, as well. Those who can, and will, adapt thrive. Those that do not, well, they go the way of the Dodo.

And for those of us who have adapted and still think it's no fun?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles

Wait, Destroyer gameplay is supposed to be coming to an end? I must be doing something wrong, because I suck at this game, but still manage just fine with my IJN DDs against radar ships...

OH MY GOSH KITAKAZE AND HARGUMO ARE IN SUPERTEST PHASE!!!! Oh I can't wait for those two ships. I am also excited for Shimakaze, because I am getting closer to obtaining her. just under 223,000 experience to go before I get my first tier 10.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,352 battles

I certainly would hope that they do go the way of the CV, 90k damage on average is fun.

But jokes aside, DDs are hard to play, but not that hard to play. Let's not compare a beloved though slightly underpowered class to the most reviled, spirit-breaking class in the game.

Edited by megadeux
  • Bad 2

Members
202 posts
2,696 battles
29 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Not all change is good. Just ask any WoT vet. If all BBs exchanged their guns for pea shooters that took a whole game length to reload, that would be change, and people would have to "adapt". Wouldn't be a good change.

In response to OP: not yet they aren't. If WG goes by light tank logic a la WoT, then maybe someday? Doubt it. I just assume it's going to get harder and harder to be your average DD player as time goes on.

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

I picked the exact right time to start grinding the rest of my DD lines. It actually has not been that bad amazingly enough. The Akizuki doesn't play very easily these days though.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
1 hour ago, silverdahc said:

I  Feel like a schmuck that wasted money in game that changes every 3 months Used to be fun but that thrill is gone

That's kinda the issue. No one likes feeling like a chump whose only role is to be fodder for the "real players" to farm at the start of each match.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Beta Testers
37 posts
13,709 battles

I have to laugh at all the BB players that are like, it's not an issue in high tier games, or "git gud n00b", do you trash talkers realize that there are 19, yes 19 radar capable ships that can/will be seen in T10 games (once a couple come out of testing)?

Here's the list of ships:

Standard ships:  Baltimore, Cleveland, Chapeyev (B Hull), Edinburgh, Hseinyang, Buffalo, Seattle, Dimitri Donskoi, Neptune, Chung Mu,  Des Moines, Worchester, Moskva, Minotaur, Yue Yang

Reward Ships:  Black, Missouri, Krondstadt, Stalingrad

Possible change:  Grozovoi

So, there you go, 19 ships that can equip radar in a T10 match.

Then you throw in that most of these ships running with a concealment build get spotted and can't spot who's spotting them knows it's a DD and the DD is within Radar range (because the radar range is more than the spotting range of a concealment build) so they pop it and everyone becomes a seagull from Finding Nemo:

nemo-seagulls-mine-mine-mine.gif.f87d3c26dd73824429b05de2683fcb65.gif

When next you play a T10 domination match and your DD refuses to go for objectives, now you know why.  Radar is an issue and it needs to be fixed.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
1 hour ago, Deviathan said:

Once the US CL hype has slacked off, it'll be back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I believe there will be a net increase in radar ships per game when things settle down, but they will settle down just as you say.  The problem is how much damage did it cause in the last month, and how much will it cause in the next 4-6 weeks when the dust finally settles?  Two to three months of meta that is bad for one group of players is a really long time to do permanent damage to the perception of the game.  WG should have known better than to stretch the US CL release out of two patches, and to have a campaign that mostly excludes DD players.     

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,428 posts
1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Inspirational speech, but it would also be fair to say that if you enjoy the 100m sprint and find out they have put you into a marathon, then the likelihood of you not enjoying that change is probably going to be high.

But you are correct, those that are willing to continue to accept what is happening will of course continue playing - although the stats for DDs on all 3 servers regarding average damage and survival show your assessment of 'thriving' is a pretty poor one (and has been for some time). Me, I chose to take a break from the game and when/if it becomes a little more balanced (and the stats are there for everyone to see) then I'll consider coming back. If not, there are other games that are filling my time and I would rate as better than WoWs (for me anyway).

Each to their own and those that continue to enjoy the game - power to them and I wish them well. For me a game is about enjoyment and having fun, if it's not doing that then it's time for a break (for me anyway). I could continue to play and slog it out, but if I'm not enjoying it why bother? :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

Honestly, I just play low and mid tiers these days. The only time I go above tier 5 is for Operations.

And the tier 10 camping playstyle is still seeping down into these lower tiers. Probably because more people than me are doing the same thing and as a result bringing it with them.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 4

[-BGM-]
[-BGM-]
Beta Testers
61 posts
6,190 battles

No, destroyer play is not going the way of the aircraft carrier or what I assume means into extinction.  Although aircraft carrier play is not dead, it’s just a class of very good players and the rest.  But let me get back to destroyers.

The removal of stealth firing was supposed to have killed destroyer play and to some degree the game, it did not.  Players learned to adapt, and new tactics were developed, the game continued.

When Radio Location was introduced it was supposed to make the game unplayable and was the supposed death of this game.  Guess what?  It was not, the impact of the skill was overblown.  Some slight changes to tactics again mostly negated this skill.  Sure, it’s still useful for ships that are dedicated destroyer hunters but game breaking its not.

The changes to smoke firing detection ranges was again game breaking and players complained.  Again, nothing game breaking came from smoke firing changes.  Battleships and cruisers just changed tactics and adapted to a new set of game mechanics.

Change is unavoidable in this game and in life.  Change should not cause so much grief as it’s a normal part of everyday life.  I know this is a game and not a direct reflection of life, but it does have several comparisons.

As a destroyer main myself, top three most played ships are destroyers.  Fletcher 589, Sims 526 and Gearing 477 games with 55% to 61%-win rates.  Adapting to the ever-changing environment in World of Warships is the name of the game.  When deciding to play destroyers you need to understand it takes constant situational evaluation, the casual eye will not cut it.

The argument is made in this thread that we will end up with the “unicum” player and a “potato” thus the team with the unicum player will win.  If you truly believe this outcome why play games with lesser skilled players based on a color rating?  Would you just quit that game and jump into a new ship in hopes of a different team composition?  If yes, well that’s on you, have fun.  If you said no, then you have taken on the challenge of overcoming a perceived shortcoming.  To that I say good for you.

Every game requires adaptation when new things are added, World of Warships is not unique in that sense.

Destroyer players need to know what ships are radar capable, range, duration and common hiding locations of those radar ships.  Do not guess about this information, you need to know it.

The proliferation of radar is not killing the game.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles
2 hours ago, renegadestatuz said:

:Smile_teethhappy: Ditto

I considered it, as well, but then I realized the threads will just keep coming, so what's the point? :D

Members
321 posts
307 battles

I remember when DD play was fun and encouraging.

But after 3 consecutive games being destroyed by torps coming from nowhere and being detected from ALL the enemy players I decided to uninstall it.

I refer to Russian DD line. I used to have good battles and fun a time ago.

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,499 battles
3 hours ago, Tahapenes said:

do you trash talkers realize that there are 19, yes 19 radar capable ships that can/will be seen in T10 games (once a couple come out of testing)?

So, there you go, 19 ships that can equip radar in a T10 match.

Are you saying 19 ships with radar? OMG!

Do you have a count on how many ships can use smoke? More ships have smoke than have radar? That doesn't seem fair at all, I hope WG gives more ships radar to even this out.

• Boring 1