You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

109 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts

I have the Cleveland and just looked at the new Dallas. To get the latter, I'd have to either burn up 36K Free XP or rebuy the Omaha to grind up to it.  (The Omaha is my most hated ship in the game.)

Since I can't find any non-WIP videos on the Dallas, I'm asking for feedback here from peeps after they have played a few games in it.

Is she worth it?  In my case, I'd probably have to get the Omaha again and grind because the Free XP is just too valuable.

:Smile_child:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,327 posts
9,387 battles

A couple months ago, a few of us repurchased the Omaha, tossed in a minimal 2-3 point captain, and ground out an extra 34-ish K on the 100% weekends in co-op.

Got done.  I'll check it out when I get home and get a few chores taken care of.

I've moved that 6 point captain elsewhere.  When the lines shifted, we also got a few extra 6, 7, and 8  point captains.

So the new line is covered for 'starter' captains.

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,007 posts
9,528 battles
3 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

A couple months ago, a few of us repurchased the Omaha, tossed in a minimal 2-3 point captain, and ground out an extra 34-ish K on the 100% weekends in co-op.

Got done.  I'll check it out when I get home and get a few chores taken care of.

I've moved that 6 point captain elsewhere.  When the lines shifted, we also got a few extra 6, 7, and 8  point captains.

So the new line is covered for 'starter' captains.

^ yeah I did this as well. it paid off too.:Smile_medal:

As for Dallas, it plays like the Pensacola just with less armor!:fish_book: I like mine, but then again I like almost any American ship(I'm biased/patriotic) except for Chester, that one can stay in Davy Jones locker!:fish_glass:

• Cool 2

Members
287 posts
4,288 battles

Why 43k for Dallas when Pensacola VI (and old Cleveland VI) are 36.5k?  I had stored up just over 37k on Omaha (on an apparently ill-founded assumption!) figuring that would be enough to research Dallas when the light cruisers appeared.  Then I moved Omaha's commander off, and demounted the upgrades during a free demount period, and left her as a derelict in the port just waiting for the split.  So it is only ~6k Free XP I will have to use to research Dallas myself, as I am certainly not going to repurchase the upgrades and retrain a commander to Omaha just to grind out that last bit of XP.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,007 posts
9,528 battles
1 minute ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Why 43k for Dallas when Pensacola VI (and old Cleveland VI) are 36.5k?  I had stored up just over 37k on Omaha (on an apparently ill-founded assumption!) figuring that would be enough to research Dallas when the light cruisers appeared.  Then I moved Omaha's commander off, and demounted the upgrades during a free demount period, and left her as a derelict in the port just waiting for the split.  So it is only ~6k Free XP I will have to use to research Dallas myself, as I am certainly not going to repurchase the upgrades and retrain a commander to Omaha just to grind out that last bit of XP.

she has hydro, fighter plane and defensive fire for consumables. whole cola only has fighter and the choice of either fighter/hydro.:fish_book: 

• Cool 1

[PNGYN]
Members
490 posts
2,954 battles
1 minute ago, BladedPheonix said:

As for Dallas, it plays like the Pensacola just with less armor!:fish_book: I like mine, but then again I like almost any American ship(I'm biased/patriotic)

"Plays like a Pensacola with less armor"...

Considering I love the Pensacola... Guess I've gotta buy back the USS Delete Me First.

Might actually be good for me, since I haven't touched the Omaha since OBT...

• Funny 2

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,007 posts
9,528 battles
1 minute ago, Viper101 said:

"Plays like a Pensacola with less armor"...

Considering I love the Pensacola... Guess I've gotta buy back the USS Delete Me First.

Might actually be good for me, since I haven't touched the Omaha since OBT...

sorry, that's the best and honest description I could come up with.:Smile_teethhappy: It's still a fun ship and with 3 consumables you got a lot to work with. its basically a Swiss army knife!

I also loved the Pensacola, I believe she got her bad rep because people just didn't play her right. if you used her in the 2nd line or island peeking she was/is amazing!:fish_aqua:

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,907 posts
2,193 battles

Another option is to Free XP USS Helena.  That is supposedly the ship to lust for.  

Omaha is not so bad, assuming that you've learned how to play USN cruisers.

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
28 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have the Cleveland and just looked at the new Dallas. To get the latter, I'd have to either burn up 36K Free XP or rebuy the Omaha to grind up to it.  (The Omaha is my most hated ship in the game.)

Since I can't find any non-WIP videos on the Dallas, I'm asking for feedback here from peeps after they have played a few games in it.

Is she worth it?  In my case, I'd probably have to get the Omaha again and grind because the Free XP is just too valuable.

First impressions of the Dallas..  Not stellar.. not Horrible.. it's a pretty middle of the road T6. guns are floaty just like a hot air balloon ( same with all USN ships)  Range is decent at 14.5km  Rate of fire is okay as well,  it's just 152mm guns, you need IFHE to be effective.   AP is 152 AP.. nothing to write home about.

I can honestly say you are not missing out on this ship, but I can not say if you are missing out on the Helena, since you kinda need the Dallas to get her.

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts
7 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

First impressions of the Dallas..  Not stellar.. not Horrible.. it's a pretty middle of the road T6. guns are floaty just like a hot air balloon ( same with all USN ships)  Range is decent at 14.5km  Rate of fire is okay as well,  it's just 152mm guns, you need IFHE to be effective.   AP is 152 AP.. nothing to write home about.

I can honestly say you are not missing out on this ship, but I can not say if you are missing out on the Helena, since you kinda need the Dallas to get her.

Is the Helena supposed to be good?

BTW, I am really enjoying the new Cleveland. It's a lot better than the old one.

:cap_rambo::etc_red_button:

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
12 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

BTW, I am really enjoying the new Cleveland. It's a lot better than the old one.

Unsure on the Helena..  I tried looking for some info.. but didn't have time to deep dive yet.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,965 battles
53 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I felt the same way about Omaha however I hadn't played since it was buffed. It's actually a blast. 7-8 battles with signals and you got yourself Dallas.

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

First battle was a T9 battle so it's no match for a Krohnstad (whatever that thing is called) but did decent. Second battle, at tier, did well, about 100k damage and took out 14 Saipan planes. It is a strong ship.

Wish it had faster reload but then it would be a Russian cruiser.:Smile_hiding:

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,191 posts
5,658 battles
45 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

"Considering I love the Pensacola... Guess I've gotta buy back the USS Delete Me First.

ROFLMAO...one of the funniest quotes ever.

• Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
25,240 battles

I got Omaha back a few weeks ago for this. Played in coop only every so often. Has a 10 pointer and is coming up in XP so will get to Dallas for free. Not planning in blowing FXP on it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,545 posts
3,734 battles
4 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I got Omaha back a few weeks ago for this. Played in coop only every so often. Has a 10 pointer and is coming up in XP so will get to Dallas for free. Not planning in blowing FXP on it.

Meh played like 2 Cherry Blossom ops and farmed a little more than 20k free xp along with it giving me an additional 10k free xp for having a 5 star, already made more than half the amount of xp required to free xp to the Dallas though I already have more than enough to do it.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

the thing i hate most about having to grind the Omaha again is that it's shells aren't as good (bad). they derp right into islands instead of shooting over them. not a good quality for a ship with armor constructed of leftover citadels.

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles

I bought back Omaha when the split was first announced and put a 6-point reserve captain in her, ground the captain to 10 points and the ship up to 45,000 XP at the same time to get to Dallas. I also used my 6 19-point captains to generate a ton of elite XP.  I free XP'd through Dallas without buying her to get Helena, putting Omaha's 10-point captain in her, and sold Omaha back out after demounting my upgrades. I did the same to get from Cleveland through Seattle (without buying her either) to get Worchester, with a bit of help from some converted ship XP taken from Pensacola (ex: Cleveland!!) as I was a bit short. I had already ground three 10-point captains before the original split, with one going into Worchester. Since I am not a fan of paper ships, I immediately sold out Buffalo (I would have taken Fargo at T9 if they had used her instead of a paper ship) after demounting her upgrades. Total cost so far, 14 million crédits, 1000 doubloons to retrain the two captains, and 2000 doubloons to convert ship XP. No cost for any upgrades as they all came from my inventory and the two ships that were sold out, with 150 doubloon penalty. Given that I have 4 T10 USN ships, I can go without a  phoney T9 CL. I now have 4 of the five USN lines ground to T10, three remaining reserve 10-point captains, and can contemplate tackling CVs, which I have studiously avoided so far. I will be using the same process to grind four RN 10-point captains in anticipation of the RN DD line sometime in the future

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,616 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Another option is to Free XP USS Helena.  That is supposedly the ship to lust for.  

Omaha is not so bad, assuming that you've learned how to play USN cruisers.

That's what I have done. I had enough XP on the Omaha to do this. And I wasn't disappointed. Helena is a excellent ship.

Members
6,621 posts
25,240 battles

Had enough XP in Omaha to purchase Dallas. Credits are a pittance.

Have it stock (not using FXP for this one). Put a spare cruiser 10 point captain i had in reserve. No retraining needed, just 12500 Orange to go. Played 2 coop so far. Meh, as expected. Ok USN guns, DFAA came in handy. Put cits out, got one cit. Did lots of fires. Standard USN CL. Meh bote.

Not bad (Omaha is not bad either), but not even close to Budyonny, or De Grasse. I like Leander, Perth, and Duca Di Pasta a bit more too. Also have Makarena and Huang-Meh which are not bad. Tier is crowded on CLs.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,907 posts
2,193 battles

Play Dallas in a Tier 6 Op and you'll pump her up fast.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts

I Started to do the Omaha grind over again in preparation for this.   Then I converted a bunch of xp- and forgot to uncheck Omaha...   Blah!  Now I gotta start over again.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,907 posts
2,193 battles

Yeah.  You're not the only one.  Small trap there.  Fortunately someone warned me about it.

Members
3,628 posts
13,419 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Helena's a pretty good bote. She's somewhat on the squishy side, but those 15 guns....! :cap_rambo:

I looked at Dallas and have passed on her. She doesn't look to me like she'll bring anything to the tier 6 table that I don't already have with De Grasse, Perth, Nurnberg, and Graf Spee.

Edited by ReddNekk

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles

after a bit more games in this ship.. I am reducing it to less than Meh, it';s a bottom of the barrel USN ship.. really brings NOTHING to the game other than another thing to grind.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

IMO she's not worth it. I have Helena, so why would I want a Pensacola-Cleveland Frankenstein that's in every way worse than old Cleveland? BTW I wouldn't be surprised if OP gets 15% MBH in it.